Marantz 5300 vs Denon 2802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Olsen, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Brian Olsen

Brian Olsen Agent

Good evening,
    I had my mind set on the Denon, but after visiting a local shop, he promoted the Marantz. (I am assuming because they don't carry the Denon line)
    Has anyone had complaints/advice about this unit?
    Thanks in advance.[​IMG]

2. Darren_C

Darren_C Agent

I have a 5300. Very nice receiver so far. I can't make any direct comparisons to the Denon 2802, though. On paper, the two look similar, and I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Both seem to be good quality mid-fi A/V receivers. The Marantz does seem to be more exclusive- it's relatively hard to find online and the dealer network is fairly small. That may mean the prices aren't as flexible, though it depends on your dealer. It also means a lot less input available about the Marantz on forums. I did a lot of searching and made a couple posts before my purchase; there was a lot less interest/response about the Marantz compared to other brands. The higher end Marantz products seem to be more popular...

Some direct comparasions: The Marantz SR5300 offers Dolby Digital EX, Circle Surround II, an extra main input (rear center), 192k DACs, MP3 Decoding and a 3-year warranty. The Denon AVR-2802 offers multi-zone, component video switching, a variable crossover and a learning/lighted remote. So, no major differences, though one of these could be more important to you. Apologies if I missed any differences, or if the information from Crutchfield was inaccurate.

I have a few minor complaints with the 5300:

1) The manual is mediocre. It's not as detailed as I'd have liked, and the English is average at best.

2) FM Mono seems to be the default for the tuner section, it requires a button press each time to switch a new station to stereo.

3) No adjustable crossover. 100 Hz only.

4) Volume, bass and treble controls all digital. Would have liked knobs for bass/treble and a motorized volume at this price...

5) No component video switching.

6) TV Auto On/Off feature is by composite video input only.

7) No direct adjustment of each channel from the remote, which makes it difficult to use a test CD/DVD. You must enter the setup and use the internal test tones to calibrate.

All of these gripes are pretty minor, and I knew about most of them before I bought it. I'm sure the 2802 has similar quirks. If you do get the Marantz, the 5300 is a big step up from the SR4300, and adds:

1) Only 10W more per channel, but has amps that appear to have better specs similar to those on the 6300 and 7300.

2) Various extra inputs and outputs

3) 192k DACs (96k on 4300)

4) On-Screen setup

5) Universal Pre-programmed Remote

6) TV Auto On/Off

7) Front A/V inputs

8) Aluminum Face (4300 is plastic)

9) Hinged optical digital input covers rather than removable caps

10) Dual banana plug compatibility (4300 does not accept duals, the posts are not spaced correctly)

I originally had the 4300, but traded up when I sold some of my old gear. The banana plug spacing was the biggest reason, as I already have a nice investment of time and money in cables with dual bananas. The next step up to the 6300 basically only offers another 10W/Channel, Speaker A/B and a lighted LCD remote over the 5300.

Good luck!

3. Brian Olsen

Brian Olsen Agent

Wow, that was an excellent post!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    As always, I will continue my search, but it's good to hear others experiences.
    And your right, there is little talk about this receiver in comparison to others. Search didn't turn up much.

4. Darren_C

Darren_C Agent

Note that I made some minor edits in case you missed them.

I also highly considered the Harman Kardon AVR-320, AVR-520 and AVR-325 receivers. The HK models did seem a bit nicer overall than either the Denon or Marantz, but each had a major flaw for my situation. The 320/520 did not have a 6th amplifier channel, making them even more expensive if you want 6.1 channels. The 325/525 do not have main inputs according to Crutchfield, making the nice amps worthless if you ever want external processing. The 525 was also a bit over my budget.

I also considered the Onkyo TX-SR600, but you have to get the more expensive SR700 to get pre-outs. With a $599 list and $549 street price from a reputable, authorized dealer, the Marantz SR5300 fit best for me with the features I wanted.