Marantz 5300 vs. 6300 w/ Paradigm Mini-monitors

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Miles, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Miles

Miles Second Unit

If I was picking up either of these receivers... would I really need to go with the 6300? Would the 5300 be enough to drive the 100Hz+ to the Mini-monitors? I don't care about video switching as I'll get an HD switcher from AudioAuthority... Is there a substantial difference in the sound of the two receivers?

Thanks for any fact/opinon/experience,

Miles

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Both will have no problem, but the 6300 will be better, and I would recommend it if you have the cash. The sound will not be substantially different, but the additional power will be welcome in the long run. I am using a 6200 with Monitor 5s and they work very well together, and I have used Minis as well. I also use the Minis in a second system with an older SR4000, and it works great.

FYI: it is frowned upon to include your gear in your signature.

3. Miles

Miles Second Unit

Hey John,

I know about the sig... it seemed relevant to my post this time though so I threw it in...

Thanks anyway,

Looks like I'll have to mail-order the Marantz as the local dealer hasn't been able to sell-of their x200 series and will only special order the x300 for a high price.

Miles

4. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

maybe you can wring a good price out of them for the x200's then might be worth considering

5. Miles

Miles Second Unit

Hey,

I had thought about picking up the 6200 but I don't think it can decode DTS-ES discrete. It says DTS 6.1... I wonder if that means discrete or matrix?

Miles

6. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

The old X200's have their own propietary decoders for the 5200 to 7200 models. Its a matrix, bu it is quite effective. Its just not discrete.

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I have the 5300 with mini-monitors. After finally getting a good cd player, and some decent interconncets (rat-shack) the system sings. If you can, go for the 6300, but the 5300 is very nice indeed. No problems at all driving the mini-monitors. They aren't to difficult anyway.

8. Miles

Miles Second Unit

Looks like I will be getting the 6300 and I will post some comments when it arrives. Thanks for your help,

Miles