What's new

Marantz 5200: Who has it, likes it, and why? (1 Viewer)

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Thinking of pulling the trigger on this one for the bedroom setup. Just like some input, good or bad. TIA.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have a 6200 (basically identical with more power) in my main system, and I am very happy with it. I can't imagine needing more power for my Mini Monitors. Best for 2ch music, IMO, but does a very good job for HT also. I also picked up an demo unit SR4000 for $150, for my bedroom (90% music), and it also sounds great.

Only complaint about the models lower than 7200 would be the remotes. They are crap.

I actually think the previous generation might have a little better amps or circuitry because they sound slightly better to me. I found a few refurb or used SR5000s for ~$300, and I may pick one up to replace the 4000, and use the 4000 to power the (soon) 20-39.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Hello John,

I did a search on HTF and came up with some of your original posts and contributions on the Marantz models.

Question: You state in a recent post that you have had video switching problems. What exactly did you encounter?

I run my S-Video through the receiver now for convenience but I don't have to. I could make a direct connection instead or buy a video switcher/selector like the SVS-4.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't use my receiver for video switching, and have actually not even tested it. What I have heard from users who have had problems with the switching on these units are white flashes or bars during intense sound passages. This did not happen on all units shipped, AFAIK, and I believe Marantz claims the issue is solved for the next batch of x200 units hitting the shelves soon.

There is another issue, and that is audio drop outs with some sources, via digital connections. This issue is not specific to Marantz, it is common to many of the big names, though Marantz seems to take a beating for it on this forum.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Hello again,

Sorry I missed your last post. I could have tacked this question onto my previous one. What about Bass management? Any problems? I know nothing is in the manual but from the user experience, I assume your using speaker level control? I like to use line level but could do the other.

Also, do you use the source direct feature? The speaker configuration changes seem odd, especially with no User adjustable Bass management.

Thanks a bunch.

Paul

Fisrt off I have a 5200 and LOVE IT. I couldn't be more pleased with the sound. The 6.1 surround is unbelievable. As for the Video switching I did/do have some problems. Here is what I have experienced. My first reciever had very noticable magnetic type looking waves when using the S. I took it back and got a new one...same model #, but they switched where they assemble them. My first one was from the first batch. I don't remember which countries they were made in, but I know it switched, and the later models are made somewhere different than the first, so check to make sure you get a later serial # so it is one of the newer batches. Even on my new one, I have the same waves, but much, much less noticable if I use the Moniter S-out. If I use the DSS-S out or VCR-S out the switching is fine. This is what I do. It does cause a problem if you want to use all the S-ins, b/c if you have a VCR-S in used and are using the VCR-S out it will not output the video from VCR in if the signal is coming in from the VCR-in etc. Does that make sense? Whereas if the Moniter out worked it would be able to output video from all the in-s. It also only does the on screen display when using the Moniter out.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What about Bass management? Any problems? I know nothing is in the manual but from the user experience, I assume your using speaker level control? I like to use line level but could do the other.
I'm not sure what this means. I am using line level to the sub. You have no adjustable bass x-over, but there are four choices for speaker config - each large or small and with or without sub.

Nobody was ever really able to confirm the low pass x-over or slope, but I believe it is fairly well hidden, obscurely in the manual where it states: "set your speakers to large if they handle bass well below 100Hz" That gives me the impression the x-over is @ 100Hz. MANY people complained about this being too high, but it must be a 6db or 12db/octave slope, because I have absolutely no issues whatsoever.

Basically what I'm saying is, I think Marantz are definitely worth buying. My second choice was a Denon 3802, a much more expensive unit with a few more features and about the same power, but I went with the Marantz because it sounded GREAT.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the posts guys.

John,

Yes, I meant to write X-over Selection. Obviously the receiver has Bass management. (Memo to myself---DOH!) It's just that the selectable crossover is something that I'm used to having.

Norm,

That's a shame about the S-Vid. I have only one S-vid on my set so it's a big deal. I could live with a single source problem but not the monitor out. I have enough trouble with video quality around here as it is. *#%#$@ Comcast!

I think I'll shift gears and do so more brainstorming. Someone here on HTF has an Onkyo 575X for sale at a decent price. I know I'll lose OSD but it is a very nice receiver with a great remote. I'm considering it.

Thanks again.

Paul

I'm not sure if you were switching gears b/c of the video switching or not, but if you were I wanted to make sure you knew that you could still use one of the other 2 S-video outs (VCR or DSS i think) and send that to whatever source you want. It outputs the video that is inputed to all the S-inputs excepts for the input that is the same as it is for output.

I have xbox into VCR input, DVD into DVD, Tivo into TV and then VCR out to my TV and it works fine.

If I want to use the on screen display I simply switch to the moniter out and set things up and then switch it back.

Dennis B

Stunt Coordinator
Paul,

The Marantz sound is very addicting. Just make sure your dealer gives you a 30-day return option. I have a 7200, BTW, and although it's just my pre/pro right now, I love it. No problems at all. By the way, the video switching problem happens in s-video only. I do component video switching, without any trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks