What's new

Marantz 5200 vs. Onkyo sr600?? (1 Viewer)

Mark Ro

Agent
I've narrowed my choices down to two for a new receiver, The Marantz 5200 and the Onkyo 600. It will primarily be used for HT (90%). I was looking for some feedback from people who have used these units.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Mark,

I think both brands are very good, but you should search about the power problems with the SR600, many have pair it with JBL NPS1 with no problems. But other had problems with other speakers that needed more power.

The 5200 is a good options, it doesnt have all the options that the SR600 have, but I think for me is the best choice, but again search the forums, the are a lot of info regarding this two receivers

Hope this helps,
Pablo Abularch

Tom.le

Agent
Pablo, I think you meant to say one other had problems with other speakers that needed more power. As that one guy who posted here who blew his speakers. Is that who you were referring to?

Tom

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
As much negative posting as there was about the SR600 I made the following observations. There was only 1 person who posted that had a problem with the power of the SR600. Everytime soneone would post anything positive about the SR600 this guy would follow up with a negative.

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
Mark, I have no complaints about my onkyo 600. sounds great and is packed with features for under $425.

jim

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
I am not Norman L.

But there is nothing NEGATIVE in stating that the 600 tested well below it's stated power output in multi-channel, blown speakers or no. Rather it is FACTUAL. Any inference drawn is on the part of the reader.

I, on the other hand, in one of my posts on the subject called the 600 a POS. Now that is emphatically NEGATIVE.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Tom,

Your right, thats what I'm talking about.

This only my opinion, and this is not about trashing ONKYO,

I think the lack of regulations in the electronics has given the oportunity to all the manufatures to play with the numbrers in order to sell more.

I think not only ONKYO has this problem, I read about marantz too. But Norman was very well informed about this subject, and I think he isnt anti-onkyo, I think he was only telling the people what problems you may encounter if you decide to go with it.

In guatemala we don't have many suppliers of hi end components, we only have Marantz and and another one that sells Onkyo and Denon, but at twice prices that you could get in the US. So I audition the 5200 and like it very much, and when I was going to buy it, they didnt had any in stock. So had to buy the 6200 ( no regrests at all).

Another thing that I like about marantz, is that you can't find it so easy over the internet. You can find Onkyo or Denon everywhere. But I only found a couple of internet seller of marantz. This is not a good reason to dump a brand, but I think lately both brands have become a lot more mass producing than Marantz or H/K. But this is only my opinion.

What I'm trying to tell Mark is that both receivers are good options. Audition both and decide for your self.

Hope this helps,
Pablo Abularach

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
pablo is correct.. listen to them both.. both (for the $$) are very good recievers. take the time to see what you like and dont like.. bottom line.. your mileage will vary!!
:)
jim

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 5200 has preamp outs, the 600 does not. That could be important if you might consider outboard amplification. I have used the 5200 and own the 6200. Both are quite good for their price.

I have not heard or used the SR600, but I have listened to the TX-DS595, it's predecessor, and it is not a bad receiver at all.

Having had good experience with Marantz, I would have to say the 5200 is a good bet.

BobJ

Stunt Coordinator
But there is nothing NEGATIVE in stating that the 600 tested well below it's stated power output in multi-channel, blown speakers or no. Rather it is FACTUAL. Any inference drawn is on the part of the reader.
My problem with this "testing" is it was not from one of the major magazine labs that does testing. We don't know the reputation of the lab or the test conditions. People were comparing this person's results to the Sound & Vision results list that someone posted on the web. But it is an unfair comparison, since it was done by a different testing lab under different conditions.
I look forward to the day when S&V gets around to testing the 600 and then we can have a valid comparison with previously tested units.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
My problem with this "testing" is it was not from one of the major magazine labs that does testing. We don't know the reputation of the lab or the test conditions.
Bob,

Fair enough. However, as memory serves, Norman stated that one of the sites was Onkyo Service in Canada. I believe he also stated he would provide copies of the report if necessary. I don't know how much more this 'Onkyo assassin' could do to keep things on the up and up.

To anyone else,

The latest S&V test on the Integra 7.2 should help put this entire matter into a new light...and light, not denial, certainly appears to be what is needed on this subject.

I have no dog in this fight. I happen to like a lot of what Onkyo builds. But 'whistling past graveyards' is not going to change the facts. Nor is belittling a guy's efforts to get the word out on a problem he discovered to this or any other forum.

I always thought that was one of the better purposes for this place. Maybe I'm wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks