Marantz 5200 vs Denon 1802- Please help <---> This close from a decision!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sonny Sangemino, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Sonny Sangemino

I am currently checking out beginner level receivers and have come to an impasse. I was wondering what you think about the Marantz 5200 vs Denon 1802. They seem pretty evenly matched for options and input / outputs. The Marantz has 6.1 but it is an option I do not plan to use due to the size of my room. Any personal thoughts or testemonials out there. I am literally days from picking up one of these units so all input appreciated!

Sonny

Hitachi 53UDX10b

Panasonic RV-31

Energy Es - 8 Sub

Aiwa NSX-90 Surround System (hack puke ugh! ...Just fer Now!!!)

2. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

My opinion/experience: Stay away from the Marantz SR-5200.

Low price, yes.

Well-designed/well-made, no.

I have no experience with the Denon model, as I got a Yamaha model instead (after the Marantz shorted out and the replacement exhibited problems, including a finnicky remote control). Do a search on this forum for x200 and you'll see where I am coming from.

Some others disagree with me though. Best of luck finding what you want!

-JNS

3. Ed_Y

Ed_Y Auditioning

I considered both these receivers before I made my purchase. I went with the Denon 1802 because of the good reviews on the internet & publications. I've had it for almost 3 months - it's been great. I didn't get the Marantz because of all the problems other users have posted about the current Marantz receivers.

4. Sonny Sangemino

Thanks for your comments. I was not aware of rampant Marantz problems...it seemed a little odd to receive so many features for so little $$$. As far as I can see no one has any really negative comments with the DENON stuff. So I am leaning back in this direction.

Sonny

5. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Jagan, others,

I keep saying this, but here goes again: I spoke with two different Marantz REPAIR reps, one in Canada and one from the US. They assured me that the popping noise, video sync issue, and other problems have been FIXED on the line, and that those units should be on the shelf this month.

I'm not a Marantz booster; I went through 3 units myself. I just want to pass on the facts of my research.

6. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

I have the Marantz 6200, never had a problem, fantastic receiver. I have been surprised at the reports of problems people have been having. I know the dealer I bought mine from, who sells quite a few of the Marantz receivers and he hasnt heard about this either. I wonder if certain areas of the country were hit wih a bad prouction line? Its a shame Marantz has a black mark on them now because they are a very good deal for the money. But I will be watching my receiver very carefully from now on.

7. Jagan Seshadri

ChrisAG,

Have they also fixed the digital audio sync "dropout" issues when using digital connections to the receiver? That drove me batty.

-JNS

8. Alex_Santos

Alex_Santos Second Unit

anyone else?

9. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

I think that if you want to go with safety first, get the 1802. I have a lot of respect for Marantz products, but the x200 line is the first time I remember any Marantz products exhibiting widely reported problems. I was in a similar receiver auditioning mode until recently and I can say that I was very impressed with the 1802--it certainly gave more than I expected: adequate power, very clear and clean sound and even pre-amp outputs for the front, left and center channels. If you're willing to take the chance with Marantz, I can also say that the 5200 was an excellent sounding piece--I just didn't want to go through the hassles of return/repair processes. In the end, I paid a little more and got a Harman/Kardon AVR320 which will arrive tomorrow [​IMG]
    Good luck with your decision--you're already on the right track.

10. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Jagan,
    I don't know if they have fixed the digital audio dropout issue, but I suspect not. However, this problem is manifesting itself on other brands as well, including the Onkyo 797 I had in my home for a week. Some published reviews are mentioning the problem as common among many brands these days. Its severity also depends on the brand of DVD player you have.
    Getting back to which receiver to buy, check out the following link for a recent review of a half-dozen current receivers:
    http://www.home-entertainment.co.uk/grouptest.asp
    The review singles out the Denon 3802 and Marantz 5200 for special praise over the other units, for sound and features.
    Deonon 3802 gets "Editor's Choice,"
    Marantz 5200 gets "Best Buy."

11. Sonny Sangemino

Chris, thanks for the link it was very informative. I tell you for what MARANTZ has packed in for $799 I would be buying right away...just scared of burnin my house down[​IMG] . Any other actual 5200 owner's out there with an opinion? Any flame outs or drop outs? What's the warranty like?
    S

12. Jagan Seshadri

Sonny,

I felt the same way back in November about the Marantz. Nice brushed metal faceplate, dials with a good feel to them, solid buttons.

But apart from the short-circuit that happened (which could happen to any brand) and the problems (some of which have been resolved), the manual was written in clipped English and the remote control was badly flaky.

There is a reason the unit is so cheap. Yes, they've packed it full of features, but they skimped on quality control. I expect a lot from the gear I buy, and I was not happy to have to jump up in price to get the trouble-free Yamaha RX-V1200, but at least it oozed quality unlike the Marantz's I got (and I went through two).

Some people love the Marantz sound. I found that it had louder bass than other receivers, and sounded better in S-Direct mode than in the non S-Direct mode. If you're leaning toward it, make sure you buy it with a hassle-free return policy. You may not need to return it, but then again, you may.

-JNS

13. Sonny Sangemino

Again good advice from all...Thank you. Any more input out there?

14. Tom Morgan

Tom Morgan Stunt Coordinator

I have a SR-7200. I have no problems. Noise is low {I also tested with test disk (Sheffield Labs "My Disk" track 41) instead of testing with sources paused}, s-video is fine, plays CD's from the panny-RP-91 without delay, has lots of power. It has a S/N 129xxxxxx8xx. I have had it since it first came out and have had no problems.

15. Sonny Sangemino

bump

16. Lynn Johnson

Lynn Johnson Stunt Coordinator

For what's worth, I have the Denon 1802, and haven't had a SINGLE complaint so far. I have this connected to M&K 750 THX speakers, and it sounds awesome. I haven't had a single sound issue. I hae a Pioneer DV-333 DVD player if that helps you any. Really though, I auditioned a few receivers before settling on this one. This would be my recommendation. Good luck!