Marantz 5200, etc., and component input?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kathy C., Aug 27, 2002.

1. Kathy C.

Kathy C. Agent

I'm STILL researching receivers for my Paradigm speakers.Denon, Marantz, and HK have been recommended for warm sound. It looks to me like the Marantz line doesn't have component video input--but composite input. I understand component is supposed to be the best--is that right? Is it an important think to look at, or what?

For this reason, I'm a little hesitant to go with Marantz, so please advise!

Some say HK has reliability problems. Denon sounds like may be warranty problems if buy over internet for a good price. Marantz has decent price for refurb. model on ac4less. My budget is tight!
    Thanks ahead of time.
    Kathy

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you don't have more than one component video source (DVD, etc...) you don't really need component video capability on your receiver. If your display device has sufficient inputs, there is little benefit of running video through your receiver.

In any case, "upconverting" to component video will NOT improve the video image, it is only for the convenience of having one connection from the receiver to the TV to manage multiple sources. The image quality will be the same as whatever a given source is supplying.

The 5200 does have S-video capability, which will give nearly the same image quality as component video, but not as high quality color.

Which speakers? Marantz pairs well with Paradigm, IMO.

3. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Ditto John's sentiments...also I would ask...is your current TV set component capable? You would be surprised how many people buy something for reasons that makes little sense shortly after the purchase. Just checking.[​IMG]
    I agree the Marantz refurbs on ac4less and the H/K refurbs/remanufactures on harmanaudio are great buys. You get the original warranty and a great product for considerably less.
    What models of the three makers were you considering in your price range?

4. Kathy C.

Kathy C. Agent

I have a new Sony 51" wide screen hdtv capable tv. To be honest, I don't know if it's component capable. My son says it is.

Looking at Marantz 5200 or 6200; HK 320; Denon 2802--main concern is warranty and internet purchase. Best I can get for 400-550$.

what's the difference between Denon 2801 and 2802?--on 6th ave. 100$ difference in price.

thanks-Kathy

5. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Hi Kathy,

Your set is extremely nice and has component input. Sorry, but I had to ask.

While there are also lesser differences the main ones are 5 powered channels in the 2801 vs 6 in the 2802, DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete and Matrix, DPL2, DTS Neo:6, DD 6.1 Matrix, 7.1 pre-outs etc. all in the 2802. I think the 2802 is well worth the extra $ when all is added up. But if you have no plans or room to run a 6.1 system, you may wish to save the $.

Of all the receivers you mentioned, only the 2801 and the 320 are 5.1. (Even though the 320 has processing over 5.1 it has only 5 amp channels). If you decide to max out your stated receiver price range I strongly suggest you look at the 520 at Harmanaudio.

As you know the warranty situation when web buying can be a tricky process. It's obvious to me you're already looking at the right places to maximize your purchase dollars while getting a decent warranty.

6. Kathy C.

Kathy C. Agent

Thank you....
    Kathy