Marantz 5200/6200 Questions........

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by vishal, Jul 21, 2002.

1. vishal

vishal Auditioning

Hi,

I am in the market for a multichannel reciever, either a Marantz 5200 or a 6200. I have read a whole bunch of posts on this forum, and I have a few questions. Can anyone comment on the "build-quality" of these two, and how do they compare to each other. From what I gather, the 5200 is very similiar in design to the 4200, while the 6200 is comparable to the 7200. But are these units both built to last, or do they have a cheap feel? The reason I ask, is that these are considered to be "low-budget" receivers, and thus would be built as such. I was planning on getting them through Accessories4Less, any comments? Also, what type of DACs do they use? Which would you recommend for DVD-A? Do they both have 6 channel inputs? I have read that the quality of music playback from these receivers is fantastic, but have not heard much (if anything) from people who use them for watching movies? Any comments...........

I don't have a need for DSPs, or component inputs, I just want clean warm sound..........

Thanks!

-V-

2. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

I don't know much about the actual differences between the two models, but I did have a SR-7200 that I later traded up to a SR-8200. The 7200 had problems when I purchased it, and I returned it. This was back in October, and MANY people were having problems. When I originally carried the 7200 back, the 8200 wasn't out yet, so I accepted a refund and went receiver/pre-pro shopping. I found NOTHING under $2500 or so that I liked as much as that doggone 7200! NOTHING! I had become addicted to the Marantz sound. It is a little hard to explain, but it happened. My dealer talked me into trying out the new 8200 and the rest is history. I would not swap it for another recieiver - period.
    The problems with the lower x200 line were well documented, and according to Marantz, solved. The "feel" of the 7200 was very solid to me (the 8200 more so), and the three year warranty was pretty good for a manufacturer (most are two). I believe the Marantz line uses Crystal DAC's. In direct mode the sound is astonishing! The 6200 does have a 7 channel input, so DVD-A or SACD isn't a problem. You can find other details by downloading the SR-6200 PDF .
    I understand from reading here on the forum that Accessories4Less is a reputable dealer. Personally I would read over the return/defective policy and take the plunge. Your comment about wanting "clean warm sound.........." describes Marantz to a "t".
    Good luck with your decision!
    Pete
    (All my $.02!!!) [​IMG]

3. Ferran Mazzanti

Ferran Mazzanti Stunt Coordinator

I can say it louder but not clearer. I own a 6200 and never had a problem with it. I previously ha d a4200 and a 5200, and ended up with a 6200. And yes, the 5200 is closer to the 4200 than to the 6200, which is in the 7200 line. Look is pretty solid, made to last I would say. And sound is amazing... if you're more musical than HT, Marantz is your brand. Otherwise, there are other receivers with more modes, bells and whistles.
    And I don't now where you live but here the 6200 is not low end but mid range instead [​IMG]

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Marantz "low-budget" receivers? Never heard that one before. Mid-fi? yes. Very good for the price? Yes. Cheaply built? Nope. I consider LOW budget to be something like the Sony DE line, and similar receivers. The fact that one can get Marantz in a similar price range as some low end receivers has nothing to do with quality of the product.
    The entire front panel and even the two knobs are solid aluminum. Everything has a solid feel to it. My disapointment with my 6200 was the crappy remote, but I took care of that. The 5200 and 7200 each have better remotes, IMO.
    As for quality sound, well, that was why I went with Marantz [​IMG]. I listened to quite a few receivers from Denon, H/K, Yamaha, Onkyo and Sony ES, and decided on Marantz. Nothing sounded as good with music, though H/K was very close (AVR510). I now have 2 Marantz receivers [​IMG] When I upgrade my receiver, I would say I will be listening to Marantz again.
    There are few differences between the 6200 and 5200, most notably the power. Construction wise, they appear the same (5200, 6200 and 7200) externally. The additional power the 6200 has is worth it. I've heard both, and sonically, they are nearly identical. The 5200 does not have CS5.1, not a big deal.

5. Ferran Mazzanti

Ferran Mazzanti Stunt Coordinator

John,
    you're not the first one to say the 5200 and the 6200 sound nearly the same. Previous to my 6200 I had a 5200 and I found a quite important difference between them (I tried both at home with my own speakers, same room, etc...). Maybe the 5200 unit I had was deffective, I don't know, but right now I would advice everybody to purchase the 6200 rather than the 5200...

6. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I see that the SR 8200 is starting to show up cheap in the US. How much better is this receiver than the 6200/7200? I have the SR6200 and I'm not happy with the 100 hz crossover. Is the SR 8200's 80 hz THX crossover any better? I mean, has anyone compared the two? Is there a noticable improvement in the bass blending via the THX crossover?

7. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

The Aug. Home Theater has an excellent review of the 8200 by Mark Fleischmann, an admitted Marantz addict.[​IMG] That may have something to do with the over-the-top rating he gave it, one of the highest I've ever seen.

8. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Well if I found SR 8200's for a discount price, I would consider trading up my SR 6200 if the 80 hz crossover is at all an improvement over my 100 hz xover since the other nice features are useful. Actually, what are the benefits of the SR 8200 over the 6200 and how much better is the sound?