Marantz 52/6200 DAC 192 kHz?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisAG, May 24, 2002.

1. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

The owners manual and early literature for these models states that the front L/R channels incorporate 24-bit 96kHz DACs, while the latest literature and Marantz's Web site quote them at 192kHz. Does this mean the earlier brochures had a misprint, or that the units coming off the line now have superior DACs compared to the earlier ones?

Secondly, when would this advantage be audible - only for DVD-A and SACD, and then only through the digital inputs, or for 2-ch. analogue as well? What about the 7-ch. analogue input?

2. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I think only the 7200 has the 192 kHz DAC's if I recall. not sure when the improvement is audible. I have heard its not a great big deal, but then I've heard others say it makes a difference.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yes, only the 7200 and up have the 192K DACs.

4. Ferran Mazzanti

Ferran Mazzanti Stunt Coordinator

John,
    from the american Marantz web site:
    FEATURES:
    Dolby Digital® (AC-3)5.1/6.1, DTS® 5.1/6.1 Compatible, Dolby Pro Logic®, Pro Logic® II (Movie, Music)
    Circle Surround® 5.1
    Preset Modes: Hall, Stadium, Matrix,Movie
    All Discrete Amplifier Stages
    192 kHz /24-bit D/A Converters (for front L & R channels)
    6 Channel Stereo Mode
    On Screen Display
    Source Direct
    Delay Time
    30 Presets
    Manual Station Naming
    Display Dimmer
    Timer/Clock
    Headphone Jack
    Rec Out (Source)

ChrisAG, that's something I also asked myself time ago (right after purchasing my 6200) and post in other forums without answer. Somebody told me, though, that the 192/24 is for the front speakers (and maybe central also? I don't remember), and that it is 96/24 for the others. But once again, that's not for sure...
    And John, how do you know it's 96/24 for sure?

By the way, also in the american Marantz web page you can see a picture of the 6200 in black, where it can be easily distinguished that there are four leads with four annotations in the left side of the display. Those annotations correspond to: NIGHT, ATT, DISPLAY OFF and... what? My 6200 only has three annotations, not four!
    I think the fourth one is PEAK, but my unit lacks it.
    Does anybody of you have this PEAK? In any case, having some units with it and some other without it may indicate that the dessign of the 6200 may have changed...

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Mine does not have "peak" either.

I am not 100% sure, but all the documentation and reports I've seen said the 6200 has 96/24, but I do see the same thing on the Marantz website. Interesting, that could mean either it has had them all along, or the design has changed.