manufacturers inflating wattage?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Fernando Saa, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Fernando Saa

Fernando Saa Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone here explain why Harman Kardon is true to its wattage specifications and Pioneer, for example isn't? will a 50 watt amp high current be more powerful than my current vsx-D608 "100 watt" Pioneer model? Please explain with not so technical details, I'm thinking to upgrade my amp to a 6.1 receiver under $500, to match my Def-tech BP-30's. Thank you very much. Next week I'll be finally receiving a PB2-Plus sub, will any receiver be "up to the task" with this monster? or it doesn't really have anything to do with it? sorry, too many questions... thanks again

2. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    I've noticed this as well, even with respected companies like H/K.

They rate their receiver at "100watts x 7 @ 8 ohms, all channels driven" which is how you're supposed to do it.

Yet when an independent tester hooks the amp up to test equipment you only wind up with like 50 watts on the surround channels. What's up with that?

It almost makes me want to buy true outboard amps and just keep my two year old Kenwood VR-409 DD/DTS receiver and use it as a pre-pro. I'm still mulling that over as opposed to getting a new receiver alltogether.

3. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

What some companies will do is rate it into 6 ohms too, which will be higher than 8 ohms and I guess they hope no one will notice and assume it is 8 ohms, since that is how most list it.

DJ

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

5. Rick Lyon

Rick Lyon Stunt Coordinator

What I learned from the FAQs here-