Manufacturers & how they honor warranties

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Wright, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Hello,

I'm curious about some of these higher end manufacturers. I'm currently considering the Denon AVR-2802 and the HK AVR-325. Both are out of my price range at $800, but both can also be found brand new on eBay for $500-$600 - more realistic for my wallet.

However, I've heard things about Denon not offering warranties on their products unless you purchase from an authorized dealer, and even then, I've heard of people having problems getting warranty service from Denon because dealers aren't supposed to sell online.

Is this par for the course, or is it a Denon specific problem? And, can someone please help me understand Denon's exact rules in this manner? Lastly, does HK pull the same thing on their customers?

Let me be frank: I won't be buying my receiver locally. For one, I know of no retailers that sell these higher end brands, and for two, prices are just too darn good online. But I want to cover myself on this warranty thing first.

Thank you!

2. TomH

TomH Second Unit

Ryan,
    I would stay away from EBay but there are many other reliable internet vendors that offer very good pricing.
    Here is a link for the 2802 for $449.00.
    http://www.reliableaudiovideo.com/denavnewmodi2.html
    Denon is one of the worst for trying to avoid warranty responsibility by using the legally questionable "authorized" dealer scam.
    Just make sure that you are getting factory new A stock, purchase with a credit card that offers buyer protection and be sure you understand the dealer warranty support options.
    Tom

3. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Thanks Tom. As an aside, I also found the HK at JandR for only $599. That's just $20 more than the best "shady/eBay" price I've found. For a mere $20, well worth the extra peace of mind.

Thank you again.