Manufacture dates of Pioneer 811?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SeanDM, Jan 12, 2003.

1. SeanDM

SeanDM Agent

I'm curious about manufacture dates of recently purchased Pioneer 811 receivers. Anyone?

2. SeanDM

SeanDM Agent

I was wondering about manufacture dates because I just bought an 811 in December and it was manufactured in April (I believe that is when the model was first released). I bought it at Circuit City and I was surprised that it would have been around that long.

3. MattMB

MattMB Agent

I bought mine online in early December 2002 and the manufacture date on the box reads "September 2002."

very impressed with mine

4. SeanDM

SeanDM Agent

Can anyone comment on if there is any advantage to having a unit with a more recent production date? Do receiver manufacturers make production changes or updates during the life of individual models? I'm trying not to be anal about this, but I'm curious.

So far, my unit seems to be working fine. I had a small problem with no sound from the right rear, but after undoing and reconnecting the wires to that speaker, it has been operating without incident.

5. Andy_SB

Andy_SB Agent

I think occassionally manufacturers will make small changes over the course of the production run of a receiver.

For instance, there is a problem with many H/K AVR-8000 receivers having a humming noise coming from the center channel speaker. 90% of the people with this problem seem to have a receiver manufactured in January of '02. Some have said the problem is caused by a flaw in the original design of the 8000's internal wiring. This was apparently corrected at some point, however, because far fewer people with a later manufacture date exhibit this problem.

- Andy

Edit: However, I think this is the exception, rather than the rule. I certainly don't think the manufacture date is something to worry yourself over.