Manual VGA switch?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Damon W, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Damon W

Damon W Extra

I am considering using an HTPC, but I am alredy using all the inputs on my projector. I have an RCA DTC100 that connects via a DPIN VGA style connector, so I was thinking about adding a manual switch box to switch between the HTPC and the HDTV receiver. Tripplite makes a manual VGA switching box, but I didnt know if it would degrade the VGA/HDTV signal?

Any thoughts?

2. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

Damon,

I'm using a Belking KVM-2 VGA switcher. I bought it for $99 a year ago. You should be able to find it for around $70 nowadays. No picture degradation on my WS-65807 between an HTPC and PS PS-HD105.

BTW: There's a command for the Belkin to switch VGA inputs through the keyboard.

3. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

You can get more expensive switches that boost the signal, and blah blah blah, or you can get cheap ones that are honest to the Gods mechanical switches and hunks of wire; no electronics.

Picture degredation? Not really. Even then, only if you're going crazy high resolution. 1024x768? Neh.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I am captain cheap cable, but my VGA switch box (manual, not boosted) DOES degrade the signal. It's not that much, but it introduces a line down the screen and a noticeable loss of fidelity

Go for a boosted one, you won't be sorry.

5. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Does anyone know of one with three inputs and two outputs? I want to have a small monitor as well as my projector as an output. It would be great for when I just want to use the HTPC to play MP3s, burn CDs, or set up stuff. I guess what I'm looking for is a box that takes the three inputs (JVC DVD Changer via RGB/component, HTPC, and HDTV) and runs them out to the projector and then out to the monitor.

The DVD changer is 848x480 and the HTPC and HDTV are 1280x720.

6. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Just get a good switcher and toss a splitter on the output. It may cause a loss of fidelity, but I doubt it, so long as the splitter is of good quality.

7. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

I would stay away from compleatly manual switches. I have known people that used compleatly manual KVM (keyboard, video, mouse) switches and they caused problems on there PC from all the hard switching. You would not just start pluging and unpluging stuff on your HT while it is on? That is basically what you are dooing with a manual switch.So unless you want to power everything down and the switch that is ok. My $0.02.

8. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

I find that some computers get very very confused by manual KVM switches; you switch back to a machine, and it simply won't acknowlegde the mouse, stuff like that.

9. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit