Manual treadmills

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Elinor, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

Thinking about buying one.

I kind of like the fact that when you stop walking they stop moving ... the "green" aspect (no electricity) ... smaller and usually foldup ... less expensive.

Anyone know if they are any good? Or any brands that might be better?

2. LanieParker

LanieParker Supporting Actor

My mother has one and it works pretty well. She bought it used and has had it for over 5 years now. I think it does it's job.

You could always just go outside and get some fresh air and walk.

3. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

Fresh air?!!?! Eek.

Actually, it's for those times when the fresh air is about 20 deg. F. Or 90+. [​IMG]

4. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Okay, another amazing HTF moment. I just saw one of these things, old, sort of antiquey looking, like a short row of laundry rolling pins in a frame covered in canvas with a metal handle, in a junk store downtown this weekend and I thought, "Hmmmm, I could put that little thing right in my house and WALK with no big electrical thing going on..." The thing didn't have a price tag on it. What do these things cost?

MC

5. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

New, from about $80 to $300.

I'm in the Baltimore 'burbs, so while we've been spared winter's nastiness so far, you know what I mean about avoiding "power walking" outdoors in some of our weather ...

6. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Then I'm not telling you where I found this thing! [​IMG]

I might check it out this weekend. If it's pennies, I might buy it. I will report back. (Or, I'll decide not to buy it, and then report to you where it is and what they want for it, and you can get one for a good deal.)

Deal?

MC

7. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

I was thinking about this last night (because I'm insane), but... Is calling it a "MANUAL treadmill" correct? I am talking about a treadmill that is not electric, has some rollers and looks sort of like a small wooden sled with a tall handle, stand up on it and walk without going anywhere.

If this is "manual," do I have to "walk on my hands" on it?

Foot-powered?

8. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

Manual as opposed to automatic. Yes, the root means "by hand" but the wacky manufacturers decided to call them Manual. Go figure.

I may look at some Saturday.

9. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

WHERE? (Not at my super secret Baltimore junk store, I hope! I should have boughten it this weekend! Panic at the thought of losing the deal!) [​IMG]

I promise I'll report back next week.

(Speaking of which, I just went for my daily get-out-of-the-insane-office mile walk around the industrial park, where it's 63 degrees at the moment, and it promptly rained on me... I could really use a treadmill. I'm getting secretary spread.)

MC

10. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Huh. Now, exactly 10 minutes later, the sun is shining.

I love Baltimore. Sheesh.

MC

11. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Okay: the "foot powered treadmill" is a mere $35 (according to the cute artsy chick at the counter, who really gave it some serious thought) at the Super Junky "Scratch & Dent" Indoor Yard Sale (I just made up that name) located at 1613-15 Eastern Avenue in Fells Point. It's upstairs in the far back room beyond the box of old garden hoses, the rickety bookshelves and the crusty old photography equipment. The thing about it that makes it not the bargain you think is that it is unnatural. The act of walking on it, is unnatural. The reason for this is that you must hold on to -- and push against -- a handlebar sort of thing in front of you (like the handle of a hand-truck or "dolly") in order to force the rollers to move under your feet. Normally, you just walk with your hands swinging along at your sides. This is the key to an electric treadmill, I guess: the "sidewalk" below you moves without you having to move it and so you can walk naturally "along." The foot-powered treadmill needs you to force it along, and so "walking" becomes more like "pushing" and less natural-feeling. (I guess if the rollers were super slick, ball bearing type of rollers and moved quickly along under just the motion of your feet, the foot-powered treadmill would work better.)

Anyway, there it is, as promised.

Stop in and say hello to Bill at the Tattoo Museum across the street if you go pick this thing up.

MC