Manowar fans of the world united :-)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MickeS, Apr 25, 2002.

1. MickeS

MickeS Producer

So who here is a fan of Manowar? Anyone?
    I'm pretty psyched about their new album "Warriors of the world", due in May, after hearing the awesome single "Warriors of the world united". Sounds a lot like their material on "Louder than hell".
    Is anyone going to see them live on the tour? They're not playing here unfortunately (nearest show is 2 hrs away, but it's on a Tuesday [​IMG]), I'd love to see them again.
    /Mike

2. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Manowar, wow there's a blast from the past!

Whenever I think of Manowar I think of the song "Battle Hymn" and that chorus: da da da KILL! da da da KILL!

I also remember every bass player I knew in the 80's trying to play "William's Tale".

I really haven't listened to them past the "Fighting the World" album. Do they still have the early line-up of Joey DeMaio, Ross the Boss, Eric Adams, Scott Columbus?

NP: Manowar - "Battle Hymn"

3. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Ross The Boss quit 10 years or so ago, he went back to play with The Dictators. The other members are still there though (Scott Columbus left but came back).
    There's more info on http://www.manowar.com (get ready for some serious Spinal Tap vibes [​IMG]).
    /Mike

4. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

Not that I'm a fan or anything (As it's not my kind of music at all) but I remember someone telling me a while ago that they hold the world record for the highest SPL in live concert ever. Something like 400+ dBs or something!

Is this true?

5. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Martin, yes it's true that they hold the record for loudest concert (at least they did a couple of years ago) and they do play REALLY loud, but not 400 dB, which I think is actually impossible to do. I think they played something like 140 dB.

/Mike

6. Sam Hatch

Sam Hatch Stunt Coordinator

I remember seeing these guys back in what must have been '88 or '89. I had never heard them before, and I mainly went to see the openers Nuclear Assault.

But holy cow! That was some funny stuff! The Spinal Tap reference hit it right on the money. The drum riser must have been fifteen feet off the stage, the guitar solo consisted of four straight minutes of pure feedback -- and then there was the consistent cry of 'Death to fahhlse mehtull' from the vocalist.

Then I thought my dad was going to get us killed (Yes, my father was a metalhead when I was in high school. Strange indeed...) by shouting 'You suck!' at the top of his lungs ad infinitum. I know the band probably wasn't joking, but their serious attitude made it all the more hilarious.

Pure comedic genius!

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

The world record issue is a bit of an interesting legend. Manowar's FOH engineer Jeff Hair happens to be a very good friend of mine (my first pro audio internship at 16 years old was with his company), and I have spoke with him about this a number of times.
    The world record was not for actual concert DB, but rather was achieved in sound check. And the measured SPL level was defined as only "from front of house mix position"- but no one offered a guideline of how far back that position should be.
    I believe that another metal band (Immaculate Mary I think) held the previous "record" - but theirs was taken from a point almost three times further away from the PA (where, if they had measured at the same location Manowar did, they'd probably still be champs).
    I don't know if this record is recognized by any serious authority (I have seen Guinness claimed many times on Manowar fan sites [although every fan site spells Guinness wrong], but I've never seen it in actual print- and from what I've heard they retired the category years before Manowar's "record" )- rather I think it is just a fun addition to the Manowar (spinal-tap-esque) mistique.
    400db wouldn't even be close to possible.
    Jesus- first of all DB is an exponentical scale- meaning 400db would be like your home theater to the 4,000,000th power. I think if it were possible to hear a star explode it wouldn't be measured to 400db! Air on earth cannot carry such sound pressure.
    For ref, 160db would instantly crush your eardrum. A gun shot with your ear against the muzzle is like 135!
    I think the Manowar Soundcheck was like 129.5 peak (but I've seen it listed at 122 as well, which seems a bit low)- and an interview with Joey Demaio calimed "127.9. That was for the band. For myself 131.7", which makes it sound like he's talking monitor levels (??).
    I could call Jeff and check if anyone is seriously interested in the number.
    On a side note, if you search for Guinness Loudest Concert on the web, many bands claim to hold the record. Heck, even a Hanson fansite claims 140db Guinness record in Canada (maybe the DB levels in Canada are different, with the exchange rate and all).
    Sites for Motorhead, AC/DC, Deep Purple and many other all claim the record for loudest.
    -Vince

8. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

PS: I did find this from a 1994 Kerrang:

9. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Vince, thanks for the info. I thought 140 dB sounded too much.
    I love this typical Joey DeMaio quote:
    That sums up Manowar. [​IMG]
    Sam, thanks for the concert anecdote, that sounds about the same as my experiences. I've seen them 3 or 4 times, and each time has been great. Yeah, the fun part is that they take themselves so seriously.
    /Mike

10. James Zubb

James Zubb Stunt Coordinator

I have a love/hate relationship with this band. I really hate all their "we are great" songs, but I really love all their fantasy themed songs. Well, maybe hate is a bit too strong, those songs are just too corny to really get into them. I really like "Triumph of Steel" though almost in total ("Metal Warriors" is a bit much), especially the last part of "Achilles" which just blows me away.

11. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Yeah, their "we're the greatest band in the world" can get tiresome, and I think they alienate a lot of potential fans with them. But that's Manowar... and I like those songs too. [​IMG] I can't resist verses like

Manowar Manowar Living On The Road
    When We’re In Town Speakers Explode
    Now We Don’t Attract Wimps Cause We’re Too Loud
    Just True Metal People That's Manowar's Crowd

[​IMG]
    /Mike

12. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I just listened to the track "Fight for Freedom" off of "Warriors of the world", and MAN what a great song!
    Yes, very patriotic, but it's a rousing Manowar anthem with a great chorus and a wonderful melody.
    Where the eagles fly, I will soon be there
    If you want to, come along with me my friend
    Say the words and you'll be free
    From the mountains to the sea we'll fight for freedom again
    Along with the other songs I've heard so far (off the Internet) this seems like it could be the best Manowar album ever! [​IMG]
    /Mike