1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Manos - 40th anniversary restoration cut?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jay_B!, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I heard a rumor awhile back that Quinten Tarentino was going to specially release a remastered cut of "Manos" The Hands Of Fate for the 40th anniversary this year.

Granted, it's a horrifyingly good movie (because it's so bad) but it's actually spawned a cult following of sorts, and Quinten Tarentino being the most famous member, who owns a rare 35mm print.

Has anyone else heard the rumors about this? While the movie is too campy for most, there are a lot of us who would definately love to see a restored/remastered version of this movie where it looks as fresh to us as it did to the theater in El Paso which laughed Hal Warren and the other cast members out of the theater forty years ago.

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Apparently, he made a deal with Criterion. It's not on their page yet, but the artwork is out:

[​IMG]

3. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

rofl, I know that's a joke but wouldn't a Criterion version of Manos rule, with a booklet explaining that it's not because it's "good" why it merits one [​IMG]

4. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

actually, one of my friends in Texas is getting a lot of her co-workers together for a Rocky Horror Picture Show style "performance" of Manos, they've been working their butts off for a month perfecting it.... and the best part is, they are going to be lipsynching the lines instead of saying it to give the film it's true edge.

ROFL... I really want to see that, I think it'd be more fun than MST3K because my friend and her co-workers actually like the movie.

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I cannot imagine they could make Manos look any better than the DVD(s) that exist now.

That Criterion cover is classic! [​IMG]

I actually sought out Manos after reading an article about it last summer in Entertainment Weekly. I found it for less than $10 at my local Borders. I have since picked up the MST3K version....but haven't given it my full attention.

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart
    The movie-only DVD is sourced from a VHS tape, FYI.

7. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

yep, the print on the MST3K DVD is better looking than the actual movie-only DVD.

8. Yaroslav

Yaroslav Auditioning

[​IMG]

So it's better to take the MST3K DVD?

9. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

Even though it has a reputation as one of the worst and most inept movies ever made, I don't think a Criterion version is THAT insane an idea, even though I know it was a joke. If anything, Criterion could visit it in a case of "this is what you shouldn't do as a director", I am sure you could get Bernie Rosenblum (teenager in car) and Jackie Neyman (Debbie) for commentary, both are still alive and actually out of the closet about being involved in Manos.

Plus, they could have a documentary about the making of the movie, since Manos is a film that the story behind the story is more fascinating than the finished product. I mean, if Armageddon merited a Criterion release... why not Manos? lol

Even though Manos is considered the worst movie ever made, you cannot deny it is actually a cult classic and has a fanbase that actually enjoys the movie for what it is.

10. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

So far, Jay, I think everyone here is with ya...not agin ya!

11. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

from what I heard, Quinten Tarentino actually put forth big bucks into purchasing one of the only 35mm prints of the movie... I can see it being cleaned up a bit because better prints of the movie do exist. Even the print used on MST3K looked a lot better than the version on the movie-only DVD.

Quinten went on record saying that "it's one of my favorite comedies", haha. Personally, if I want a good spoof of a horror movie that is entertaining and makes me laugh, Manos does the job a lot better than any of the Scary Movie films, lol.

12. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart
    Well, if the 16mm negatives (or positives, if it was shot on reversal) exist, they could do a good job.

"Manos: The Hands of Fate is presented in its original 16mm ratio of 1.33:1. On widescreen televisions, black bars may be visible on the left and the right to maintain the proper screen format. This new high-definition digital transfer was created on a Spirit Datacine from Quentin Tarantino's personal 35mm blow-up print. Thousands of instances of dirt, debris, and scratches were removed using the MTI Digital Restoration System. To maintain optimal image quality through the compression process, the picture on this dual-layer DVD-9 was encoded at the highest-possible bit rate for the quantity of material included. The soundtrack was mastered at 24-bit from a 35mm optical track, and audio restoration tools were used to reduce clicks, pops, hiss, and crackle. The Dolby Digital 1.0 signal will be directed to the center channel on 5.1-channel sound systems, but some viewers may prefer to switch to two-channel playback for a wider dispersal of the mono sound."

13. Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino Supporting Actor

Hasn't it been rumored or reported that Criterion is going to have a spin-off branch devoted to horror or sci-fi films? It would be kind of crazy, but I would like to see Criterion release this. They could justify it by examining the "Manos cult."

14. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Well, Manos is a cult film, literally.

15. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Patrick: What is that quote from in Post #12?

BTW, is there only one version of Manos that's been released? Mine is distributed by "Alpha Video" and has a copyright date of 2003.

16. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart
    It's a parody of Criterion's transfer notes.

Yeah, the only DVD for the movie is the Alpha Video disc. It's from a VHS (pirated off Sinister Cinema's tape) and is missing the opening up until "I'm cold."

I wonder if elements survive that would allow for a music-only track. I find myself humming the opening driving flute music often.

17. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

[​IMG]

18. Dion C

Dion C Stunt Coordinator

I would be SO all over a Criterion edition of "Manos." And you know what? It really does legitimately lend itself to the Criterion treatment.

"The Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films..."

"Manos" is a very special film in a very popular and specific genre. It's important for that, as well as for what it represents -- being one of the most inept films ever made. It single-handedly represents several "important" film niches.

The things Criterion could do with this title boggle the mind. While they would (and should) take the quality and breadth of this release seriously, they would, hopefully, not take the film itself seriously. A fun, winking, tongue-firmly-in-cheek Criterion release -- that would be so great.

And it would sell like hotcakes, I'm sure.

19. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

^ I agree. People love to rip on Manos because it's a bad movie, but IMO, a movie as infamous as Manos certainly is definately more what I would expect Criterion to select on instead of Michael Bay titles. Armageddon and The Rock are just average big budget action flicks, Manos is "special". I think the whole story of Manos is fascinating and is definately something I could see Criterion actually giving creedence to. Nobody in their right mind actually thinks Manos is a "good" movie (it's good in a campy way, but it's only so campy because it's so terribly made) but I think a Criterion version would do the film justice and preserve the movie in a way that it'd be like seeing it for the very first time again. I know Bernie Rosenblum and Jackey Neyman are still alive, and I'm sure there's some "Manos experts" who also could be leant on hand for a commentary track.

Hal Warren's daughter actually posts on The Agony Booth sometimes, so it wouldn't be too hard to get her input as well.

20. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart
    I think Manos is an important film and should be shown in film schools as a companion to Citizen Kane. "Ok, this is how a great movie is made... now, here is how you don't make a movie..."

Seriously, I don't think Manos is THAT bad of a movie. I've made a few home movies myself and it simply feels like that. Except that they spent 3 months and a considerable amount of money...