1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Mannix is Coming! (All things Mannix w/spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Hank Dearborn, Sep 20, 2007.

Tags:
  1. yesenia

yesenia Auditioning

yesenia
    This morning I turned on the TV to KCBS 2-2 Decades and there was a Mannix marathon. I don't know the exact time it was but I caught the final scene of an episode where Mannix and someone else were in some guy's hospital room while the TV was on. The guy in the hospital bed had an oxygen mask on and while I don't recall specifics, he was conversing with Mannix. Then when Mannix and the other guy were distracted by watching TV (a football game?), the guy in the hospital bed turned off his own IV, essentially committing suicide. Then the credits started rolling.

Does anyone know which episode this was and more importantly, WHO the character/actor in the hospital bed was?

From the CBS TV listing in my area for Sunday, February 4, 2018 between 9 AM and 1 PM, PST, these are the episodes, but I can't be sure if this information is accurate. Just trying to cover all within that time frame.

9am Silent Target
    10am A World Without Sundays
    11am Sing a Song of Murder
    12pm Search in the Dark

Darby67 and benbess like this.
  2. Message #2722 of 2759 Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    Now watching the 8th episode of the 5th season, title The Glass Trap....

OK episode, but it has very sloppy use of stock footage. At one point Mannix is being followed in his car, and the close-up at the beginning clearly shows that the car following him is a dark c. 1970 Chrysler Imperial. And then a wide shot shows supposedly the same car as a white sedan from about 1965. Yikes. A different model and year might work, but a completely different color? I don't think I've ever seen this particular issue on Mannix before....Anyway, took me out of the episode for a bit.

3. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    5.09 A Choice of Evils....A good episode—and all the cars on this one match up!

4. ponset

ponset Second Unit

scott
    Watched the Season 6, episode 24 "The Danford File" with John Gavin who passed away earlier this month.
    Rest In Peace Mr. Gavin.

Part of the episode takes place in the BRADY BUNCH house and Robert Reed is back as Lt. Tobias.
    Alas Reed doesn't have any scenes in Mr. Brady's house.
    Also Jessica Walter plays Gavin's wife.

5. Message #2725 of 2759 Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor
    Supporter

Doug
    S. 4 Ep. 9 - Sunburst

Mannix is on his way to go fishing in the desert when he stops at a roadside diner for gas and a check of his engine. While having a cup of coffee, he discovers that the couple who run the diner are being held hostage by three men. Mannix manages to reach the authorities -- but the mystery deepens when the couple claim to know nothing of their supposed kidnapping.

Paul Carr (Star Trek, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea), Barry Atwater, Kenneth Tobey (The Thing From Another World), Ross Hagen (Daktari), Ward Wood

Lt. Malcolm cameo!

Well, we are back to Mannix against the world with this episode. Joe has car trouble in the desert and stops into a gas station/diner and walks into trouble, what else? A great set up and one that keeps a fair amount of suspense. Loved the stunt work at the dam. Looked pretty good. I just barely anticipated the expected double-cross and actual ending, but it was still very well done.

6. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    A short MANNIX blooper can be found in this video at 2:27

7. Jeff*H

Jeff*H Supporting Actor

Jeff
    I love the episodes where Mannix ends up in trouble in a backwoods town. I think there was one (or more) every season!

8. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Screenwriter

Darin
    And so did the writers of every show from the 60's to the 80's. So little is ever new in these stories. Broken down car on the way to a vacation destination. Or there to help an old Army pal, friend or relative. The town is under control of the one rich guy in the area, He usually has a son who is the biggest jerk in town. The Sheriff is either part of the corruption or too afraid to stop it until Mannix, Cannon, Barnaby Jones or whoever shows them the light. There is one person in town who will help our hero, but they too are afraid of going public.

9. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor
    Supporter

Doug
    S. 4 Ep. 10 - To Cage A Seagull

Joe Mannix is about to go on a golf date with his friend Pete Pinelli, a helicopter traffic reporter for a local radio station, when he receives word that Pinelli's copter has crashed in a remote area of Los Angeles County. Mannix uncovers a witness who saw a light plane in the area just before the crash, and becomes convinced that Pinelli was murdered because he saw something that he wasn't supposed to see -- a conclusion that's bolstered when the pilot of the light plane appears to have been murdered as well.

Norm Alden (Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman), Michael Vandever, Ben Cooper (Misadventures of Sherrif Lobo), Byron Morrow (Star Trek), Ward Wood

Lt. Malcolm alert!

Great start to the episode, someone mysterious lands in a secluded area and death ensues. Nice to see Mannix use his skill as a detective to detect. He is using his skill to aide Lt. Malcolm. Once he gets the final clue, it leads to a neo-Nazi from South Africa who sounds more southern??? He neglects to keep the Lt. informed. He takes a woman with him to a potential ambush. After a promising beginning, the episode self destructs just like the headquarters. Wouldn't Mannix try to at take one weapon from the arsenal he uncovers since he has been shot at???

Oh well, I hope the following episodes are better.

10. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor
    Supporter

Doug
    S. 4 Ep. 11 - Bang, Bang, You're Dead

While playing in an abandoned movie theatre, a nine year-old girl observes three men watching a film and overhears them apparently plotting to kill someone. The girl's mother takes her to see Joe Mannix, who is initially skeptical because the girl sometimes seems to confuse reality and fantasy. But Mannix starts to believe her story when an attempt is made on the girl's life.

Patti Cohoon-Friedman, Lloyd Battista, Pat Renella, Karen Arthur

Lt. George Kramer (Larry Linville)

Mannix and kids, another yearly cliche. I like these as Mike Connors gets to showcase his "paternal" side. These episodes always tickle me. The young girl at the center of this one does well with her role. The story is pretty good and the use of the kids toy to "draw" the faces of the villians is intriguing.

An enjoyable story much better than the previous one.

benbess, Carabimero, Jeff*H and 3 others like this.
  11. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor
    Supporter

Doug
    S. 4 Ep. 11 - Deja Vu

A young woman visits Joe Mannix at his office with a strange story of having had a dream in which he was killed. Mannix reassures her that he doesn't see any danger, and suggests that she dreamed about him because his capturing a blackmailer was recently covered in the newspaper. But Mannix begins to have second thoughts about dismissing her story when the details of her prediction come true.

Brenda Scott, Kim Hunter (Planet of the Apes and sequels), Paul Stewart, Sid Haig, Ward Wood

Lt. Malcolm alert!

A rather interesting teaser ending with Mannix's death which then leads to a rather standard episode. Haven't we seen plenty of episodes where the coming of age young lady is just a little bit off, who is the target of some money hungry schemer. If you haven't, then watch this episode. The story is well told and will hold your interest, but is rather unremarkable. Not bad, just not very good.

The title is pretty appropriate, we've seen it before.

12. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Screenwriter

Darin
    Design For Dying - A late Season Eight episode. (I only have two shows left to watch:()
    Mannix is put on the case to find the wife of an influential man with big political plans. He finds the woman,Barbara Rush, all too easily and sets out to see what the real story behind her abduction was. Tom Selleck has a brief "blink and you'll miss it " scene as someone who finds a dead body in the water.
    vlcsnap-2018-03-05-17h13m52s370. vlcsnap-2018-03-05-17h14m29s118.

Flashgear, Jeff Flugel and Darby67 like this.
  13. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor
    Supporter

Doug
    S. 4 Ep. 13 - Duet For Three

Joe Mannix is hired by Ellen Gray, whose husband committed suicide in Hong Kong shortly after confessing that he was apparently in over his head in some shady business dealings. When Ellen returns to Los Angeles, however, she finds herself being shadowed by some mysterious men who also had followed her in Hong Kong -- and whom she fears now may be trying to kill her.

Katherine Justice (Prescription:Murder), John Considine, Gloria Grahame, Robert Colbert (The Time Tunnel), Robert Reed

Lt. Tobias Alert!

Interesting device, kill off your guest star in the opening minutes (or do you???). Nice little mystery that Joe tries to unravel. Interesting use of Robert Colbert by playing him against type as the unrequited(?) lover and possible culprit. I guess I am to jaded by modern standards to be surprised by the twist, but overall a very entertaining episode.

14. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor
    Supporter

Doug
    S. 4 Ep. 14 - Round Trip to Nowhere

A client named George Hewitt hires Joe Mannix to help find a man whom Hewitt claims has been harassing his wife, such as by accosting her in a taxicab in Chicago. Hewitt then speeds off from their meeting and is killed in a car chase with another vehicle. Mannix tries to discuss Hewitt's concerns with his widow only to find that she denies many of the things Hewitt had told Mannix -- such as never having been in Chicago, and not recognizing the man from a photograph.

Tim O'Connor (Buck Rogers in the 24th Century), Susan Howard (Petrocelli, Dallas), Jerry Douglas, Larry Pennell, Kevin Hagen (Little House on the Prairie), Tol Avery

Always great to see Susan Howard. She was a confused by her husbands hiring of Mannix as Mannix is. The more he investigates, the more mysteries he uncovers. Not as good as the prior episode, but a very good mystery. The use of bats was a bit over the top though.

15. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor
    Supporter

Doug
    S. 4 Ep. 15 - What Happened To Sunday?

After leaping from a bridge to escape two hoodlums who were trying to run him down, Joe Mannix awakens in a hospital on a Monday morning with no memory of the previous 24 hours. With Peggy's help, and a few clues from items in his possession when he was found, Mannix begins to reconstruct the missing Sunday as fragments of his memories return -- including time spent with a beautiful redhead, and the image of a young woman falling from a high place.

Katherine Woodville (ST: For The World Is Hollow), Milton Selzer (Get Smart), Fred Beir, J. Pat O'Malley (The Dick van Dyke Show), Francine York

I am a sucker for these "lost days" type episodes. Sort of like the Mannix road trip episodes, I always find the mystery intriguing. Sometime the payoff works, sometimes not. This one did. I enjoyed this one. Fred Beir sure seems to pop up frequently on these classic series. Always a great performance.

16. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor
    Supporter

Doug
    S. 4 Ep. 16 - The Judas Touch

The police chief in a small town 100 miles north of Los Angeles asks Joe Mannix to come to the town to assist him. Another old friend of Joe's, Paul Parrish, whom Joe convinced the chief to hire after Parrish had been in prison for a crime he didn't commit, is now suspected of killing his former cell mate from San Quentin and stealing $150,000 in cash that the cell mate had hidden before going to prison.

Robert Lansing (12 O'Clock High, The Equalizer, Kung Fu: The Legend Continues), Brenda Benet (Walking Tall), Ruth Roman, James Wainwright (Jigsaw)

Brenda Benet - was there a prettier guest star? Sure like it when she shows up, pretty and is quite good at her job. Average story once again elevated by the performances. Missing money, evidence points to a "crooked" cop. Seems like a set up. Everyone has doubts, except for Mannix. That's why we keep watching, and because he is usually right. The clue to this episode is found in the title (Judas). Told me all I needed to know.

17. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Screenwriter

Darin
    For those who may not know, Benet was married to actor Bill Bixby.
    [​IMG]
    Woodville was married three times. Her first marriage was to Patrick Macnee, and her third to Edward Albert. Son of Eddie Albert.
    [​IMG]

18. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor
    Supporter

Doug
    Knew about Benet (so tragic), not about Woodville.

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  19. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Screenwriter

Darin
    Yes. Not a happy ending for that family sadly.

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  20. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Didn't know that Susan was on this! I'll have to take a second look at that outing to find her.

Flashgear likes this.