Mannix is Coming! (All things Mannix w/spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Hank Dearborn, Sep 20, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug
    Found some time for more Mannix:

S1. Ep17 & 18 - Deadfall: Part 1/Part 2

Michael Tolan, Beverly Garland(My Three Sons, Lois & Clark), Roscoe Lee Browne(The Cowboys), Antoinette Bower(Star Trek), Dana Elcar

A two part Mannix means a very complicated episode. Lew is on steroids, an agent is murdered, lasers, pictures and a girlfriend??? What a set up? I was not sure what would happen at the end of ep. 1. Overall, a pretty good two parter if just a bit complicated.

S1. Ep19 - You Can Get Killed Out There

Howard DaSilva, Mort Mills, Marianna Hill, Vic Lundin

Mannix quits. A slightly overused device that was totally unnecessary as Mannix ends up investigating the same case anyway. Obviously Mannix returns to the fold. Would have been nice to see this type of story as the last episode of season 1/fist of season 2, since Joe goes out on his own. I know the "real" story, but this type of set up would have been nice. Pretty good episode.

S1. Ep. 20 - Another Final Exit (more foreshadowing???)

Larry Storch(F Troop), Paul Comi(Star Trek), Walter Brooke, Harry Landers

Mannix "fakes" a fight with Intertect and gets "fired" just to become bait for an unlucky schlub. I believe that this episode gave Mannix more abuse than any other so far. :D A very interesting episode with a serio-comic touch.

All in all, this has been an interesting watch. One more disc for this season.

2. 2622 Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug
    S1. Ep. 21 - Eight to Five, It's a Miracle

Larry Perkins, Brenda Scott, William Smithers(Capt. Merik, Jeremy Wendell), Jay Novello

Mannix is hired to investigate a supposed miracle that has occurred on land owned by a mobster. When a man turns up dead and the mobster's thugs beat on Mannix, the miracle's legitimacy seems highly doubtful.

Mannix investigates a miracle. Miracles and mobsters - surely strange bedfellows. Interesting questions and storyline revolving around criminals and personal faith. How far does one go to receive salvation? Nice conclusion. Mannix is beat up again. :eek:

Darby67, HiDefJeff and Flashgear like this.
  3. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug
    S1. Ep. 22 - Delayed Action

Louise Sorel(Star Trek), John McLiam, Ned Glass, Richard Bull(Nels Oleson, USSN Seaview Doctor), Walter Koenig(Chekov), Joel Fluellen

A man named Spinelli shows up severely injured at a hospital emergency room, asking for Mannix. The detective arrives. He's never seen Spinelli before in his life. From this odd beginning, Mannix will be beaten, suspended by Intertect and shot at with a spear gun as he tries to solve a mystery extending back more than 20 years.

A 20 year old mystery sets many things in motion for members of a cover up to a bombing. All things are tied together and involve the daughter of the man imprisoned for the bombing, not the actual bomber. A nice deeply plotted episode. Rather grisly death of the bomber.

4. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug
    S1. Ep. 23 - To Kill A Writer

Michael Strong(Dr. Korby), Paul Petersen(Donna Reed Show), Ted Cassidy(Lurch, Ruk)

A mystery writer finds a suicide note in his home -- supposedly written by himselfal cases and he's working on a new novel taken from an unsolved murder. Mannix tries to protect the author, but the writer insists on trying to work on the case. This complicates things greatly for Mannix.

An interesting episode with a myriad of suspects. A nice little whodunit. A very pleasant hour. It was unusual to see Ted Cassidy in something other than his role of Lurch.

5. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug
    S1. Ep. 24 - The Girl In The Frame

Ward Wood(1st appearance in Mannix? Not Lt. Malcolm), Leslie Parrish(Star Trek), William Windom(Commodore Decker, QM shows,Murder She Wrote), Paul Mantee, Michael Pataki, Oscar Beregi, Dabbs Greer, Douglas Henderson

Wealthy art collector Calvin Norris, while visiting an artist friend, sees a woman modeling for a sculptor in the studio across the alley. Norris is shocked. The woman looks exactly like the subject of a Renoir painting he owns. He tries to get to the woman but she is gone before he can get to the sculptor's studio. Norris hires Mannix and Intertect to track the woman down.

Season ender. Already is well on the plus side as two Trek veterans are in this episode. Can never go wrong with William Windom and Leslie Parrish is just so delectable. She even wears the same gown from her Trek episode as a model. Nice episode with truly human motivation (to meet the girl). I am surprised that the side shot of the nude model made it on the air in 1968, I thought I saw something.

Character actors galore in this episode as well as so many comments about the methods of Intertect and Joe Mannix. Was the change in style being hinted at? Who knew that Mike Connors was such a great stuntman, that flying kick at the end - WOW!

Excellent episode!!!

6. Edgecase

Edgecase Auditioning

Casey
    This episode I remember now and it had a clever script and Mike Connors took full advantage of that. I loved the remark from Mannix about giving "these computers something to do, it'll keep them off the streets". And yes Ted Cassidy was great if not a bit comical as the super-tall Montoya. It looked quite funny to see someone tower over the tall-dark-and-handsome Joe Mannix...

7. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug
    S2. Ep. 1 - The Silent Cry

Audree Norton (deaf actress), Laurence Naismith, Jason Evers, Simon Scott

Mannix has finally quit the detective agency for good and is out on his own. The second season begins when Mannix encounters a deaf woman who has witnesses a criminal talking at a pay telephone, discussing a kidnapping. She has made out certain key words because of her ability to read lips. Mannix gets her to remember enough of the conversation so that he can proceed in his investigation. The detective finds a rich man who says his wife has been kidnapped. It turns out the rich man has really hired the criminal to kill his wife and make it look like a kidnapping - and the criminal is anxious to tie up all loose ends, including Mannix and the deaf woman.

Seems like the appropriate title should be "Loose Ends". That seems to be the main words the assassin says and attempts to do. So much to like about this one, the leading lady, Jason Evers (a favorite 60's guest star from Star Trek, The Invaders, Mission:Impossible, etc) as well as a unique case. I remain fascinated by people who sign and this story allows that. I like that television was willing to take a chance and tell this story as their 2nd season opener (from imdb.com -Audree Norton - First Deaf actor or actress to appear on American network television with her role of Jody Wellman on the 1968 CBS crime drama, Mannix, starring Mike Connors.). I thought this little something extra enhanced the story.

I really thought the exploding automobile probably would not have fooled anyone even in 1968. Really did not fit in with the other footage. Other than that nit, a fine way to open season 2. Is any time frame mentioned for how long Joe has been gone from Intertect? Just curious as he seems fairly well established and on pretty good terms with the local cops.

Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  8. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug
    S2. eP. 2 - Comes Up Rose

Gerald S. O'Loughlin (The Rookies), Sheree North, Lee Bergere (ST: Lincoln), Barbara Rhoades (Shakiest Gun in the West), Ronald Long, Byron Morrow

Charlie Anderson, a former policeman who once saved Joe Mannix's life, hires the detective when his wife has run off. The wife is somebody else Charlie met while a policeman - a one-time prostitute who went straight. Charlie now is a security guard at a air cargo facility.

Nice episode opening. Really enjoyed the contrasting camera moves with the action presented. Strong guest cast in these two veterans. Nice to see that Joe has friends, even if they are a one-time shot. Mannix in the hospital :eek: , what is the world coming to? Really, nice to see him caring for that head of his. Fairly predictable story and ending, but the cast makes the story.

Darby67 likes this.
  9. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug
    S. 2 Ep. 3 - Pressure Point

Harold J. Stone (any 60's show), Paul Stewart, Pamela Dunlap, Stewart Moss

Joey, a young man who helped Mannix out on a previous case, shows up in the detective's apartment, injured from a beating. Mannix hides Joey and gets a call out to the police just before the apartment is overrun by hoods. Mannix is beaten and when he wakes up, Joey is gone. As the detective follows the trail, an organized front tries to buy Mannix off with a trip to Hong Kong on a supposed case. It turns out that the target of all this is a judge, whose daughter is in love with Joey.

Once again, the "Organization" figures in the plot. Bruce Geller really liked to use them in his shows. I enjoy most appearances from Harold J. Stone and this one is no exception. The scene between his character and Mannix was very believable (especially when Mannix was realistic about their chance for success, a nice touch). I am really getting a kick out of the various classic shows that incorporate helicopters in their stories. Always fun to watch how they are worked in. Another bratty individual who treated her father in a very "I don't care" way. I sure wouldn't behave that way, but she did actually seem to love Joey. Nice little call back to season 1 with the Intertect scene.

Not as good as the first two on this disc, but not bad

10. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug
    S2. Ep. 4 - To The Swiftest, Death

Nicholas Colosanto (Coach), Jill Ireland (Leilani), PeterHaskell, Hugh Beaumont (Ward Cleaver - nearly didn't recognize him), Joe Mantell, Sabrina Scharf

Mannix has taken up a new hobby, amateur auto racing. While participating in a race, another racer is killed when his car seems to lose control and goes over an embankment. The widow of the dead racer contacts Mannix, wanting him to investigate, believing the death was a homicide. As Mannix proceeds, it's clear federal authorities have much more interest in what seems like a routine case.

By do we have nearly everthing you could want in an episode; car racing, race explosion, greiving widow, former lover who is angry, duplicitous father-in-law, shadowy government figure, a pest ("Can I get my name on your door???") for leg work, and lots of unused race footage. Whew - what a packed episode. It really pays off with an excellent story. This episode should have opened the season. I still have a hard time believing that is Coach from Cheers.

I was very impressed with the time used showing Mannix discovering the pertinent clue on the race footage. It wasn't something casually viewed and then, AHA! He had to review the footage multiple times, forward then reverse, and even when asked for "close focus", a comment was made that now there is just a bigger blur. All of the minor points reminded me of when this show was made, but also of how much more realistic that part of the story is (no more, "McGee, can you clear up that picture?" "Sure boss.").

Best episode so far for this season.

11. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug
    S2. Ep. 5 - The End of the Rainbow

Kathryn Hays (Gem, As the World Turns), Jack Ging, Marti Stevens, Carlos Romero, George Savalas (Stavros on Kojak)

A recently paroled ex-con is killed by a hit-and-run driver. The man had a matchbook with Mannix's phone number in it. Mannix tries to find out why the ex-con was killed. As his investigation, proceeds, Mannix discovers a plot -- and the detective may be its next victim.

Written by Jackson Gillis - one of my favorite writers on "Perry Mason".

Intriguing opening. A great start to the episode. Mannix looking to find answers leads him on a wild goose chase of a case. Looks to be using some Intertect equipment in the office scene. Lots of violence to Mannix and by Mannix in this one. Hard to believe that "Wild Wild West" took top honors for violence and had to be cancelled. Another hard hitting, excellent episode. The lake Mannix stops at looks to be the Andy Griffith fishing hole where Dr. Kimble went after his argument with Helen. Always interesting to see familiar locations in unfamiliar shows :D. I had the twist pretty well figured, the final deaths not so much. I am surprised standards and practices allowed that.

I am really liking this season much more than the first one.

12. Edgecase

Edgecase Auditioning

Casey
    I enjoyed the first season unto itself but it is clear the true Mannix begins to really shine in this season (which is synonymous with Mike Connors coming into his element with the role). I already see a little more compassion on Joe's part--a countenance that's more down-to-Earth. Even the car suits him better.

I've been re-watching the first six episodes of Season 2 (I had commented awhile ago about S2E7, "Edge of the Knife" which is still my favorite so far) and will post with some thoughts shortly.

13. A Pop Fan's Dream

A Pop Fan's Dream Auditioning

Paul
    The reviews are great Doug. I hope to start watching the complete box at the end of August.

14. Edgecase

Edgecase Auditioning

Casey
    Happy Birthday, Mike Connors!
    May you rest in peace

Joe_Mannix_1968.png

15. Edgecase

Edgecase Auditioning

Casey
    As I alluded to a few days ago I was re-watching some of the first few episodes of S2, and I'll share on

S2, Ep 6, "A Copy of Murder", guest-starring Barbara Rush, Clifton James

Mannix is tasked to investigate the death of an author (who was writing a book about a real-life murder). Barbara Rush plays the widow. Here is another episode that lands Joe in a small town (c.f. S1E9, "Huntdown") where again, the people (including the boisterous and unscrupulous cop played very well by Clifton James) are unhelpful and have something to hide. Highlights of this episode are a good script, a cute tongue-twister and a nice musical score at the very end (it sounds like it might be the instrumental version of a singers 'n standards song, can someone verify?).

Overall, a very good episode.

Darby67, Flashgear and Doug Wallen like this.
  16. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug
    That is the next episode on my list. Will probably get to it on Friday!!!

Darby67 likes this.
  17. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug
    S2. Ep. 6 - A Copy of Murder

Clifton James (Sheriff J. W. Pepper from the Bond films), Barbara Rush , Kevin Hagen (Dr. Baker form Little House), Harlan Warde (The Rifleman)

An author, preparing a book about a well-publicized murder case in a small California city, is killed when his yacht blows up. The author's publisher hires Mannix to find the book's last chapter, which is said to solve the murder case. Mannix encounters a hostile police chief who wants to chase him off and an oil-company executive wanting to buy him off.

Got to this one sooner than I thought. Casey, you were right. This is a fine episode, helped tremendously by Clifton James (sure did get a kick out of him in his two Bond appearances). Guess he just could not shake his portrayal of redneck hick sheriffs. I have aways found Barbara Rush to be a very "classy" lady and she is no different in this. I really like the interplay between them and the whole "handkerchief thief" flirting. Mannix is developing the attitudes I remember most - his determination and his very much abused body. Several scenes I enjoyed in this one, getting past the "Security" guard, flirting to get info, showing us the difference between touch and hunt/peck typists using that technological marvel "the overhead/opaque projector". Mannix seems much more of his element the farther into this season I get.
    I am now seeing why this show has the following it has.

I am so glad to be able to view these excellent prints. I am amazed every time I watch one of these. They look amazing, great work by CBS/Paramount.

Flashgear and Edgecase like this.
  18. Edgecase

Edgecase Auditioning

Casey
    Doug, great review and I'll be looking forward to your take on Episode 7...

Just watched S2, E8, "Who Will Dig the Graves?" with Linda Marsh (c.f. S1E4 "The Many Deaths of St. Christopher").

This episode takes Mannix to a Navajo reservation in New Mexico (my home state!) in search of a woman (Marsh) who is in hiding from her husband who has hired Joe to look for her. The little town is called Table Rock (which is fictitious, but well thought out). It did not appear to be filmed in NM but perhaps more research is needed on my part.

What stands out in this episode is the humor, from the antics of the Navajo bartender to Mannix having a clever response to being tailed (which is an extremely common occurrence on this show) and cracking a smile about it!. Additionally, credit is due to Linda Marsh for her versatility in playing this role, which is much more sophisticated than that of the chemist's daughter in "The Many Deaths..".

NM is dubbed the "Land of Enchantment" but we call it the "Land of Entrapment" and even as far back as this episode that sentiment is, though very subtly, worked into the script.

My second favorite episode so far!

Darby67, Doug Wallen and Flashgear like this.
  19. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug
    S2. Ep. 7 - Edge of the Knife

Fritz Weaver (Twilight Zone, Creepshow), Geraldine Brooks (Outer Limits), Timothy Scott (Lonesome Dove, In the Heat of the Night), Priscilla Morrill (Mary Tyler Moore), Ford Rainey, Peggy Rea (The Waltons), Eve Plumb (The Brady Bunch)

Mannix is hired by successful heart surgeon Cameron McKenzie, whose young son was apparently kidnapped by someone who looked exactly like the doctor, driving a car that also looked exactly like the doctor's car. Mannix agrees to look into the kidnapping if the police will be notified once Mannix runs into a dead end.

A kidnapping case with a twist. One plus and one minus. I really enjoy Fritz Weaver, Geraldine Brooks not so much. The twist is interesting but is such a coincidence. Why did the wife have masks of her son and husband made? Was that a thing back in '68? Why would the mold maker keep the mask - I didn't buy his explanation. I had issues with that plot device. Smacks of "how do I get out of this set up?"

I agree that it is very well acted, especially by the children. Mannix's interactions with all of the smaller guests is great. The"syndicate" angle might explain the extra pains taken to silence their informer but still seems convenient storytelling. I'm not sure if I totally buy the change between the husband and wife - kidnapping brings about a reconciliation? I didn't hate the story, but felt eps. 5 and 6 were much better.

Flashgear, Edgecase and Darby67 like this.
  20. 2640 Aug 17, 2017 at 8:18 PM
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017 at 9:49 PM
    Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug
    S2. Ep. 8 - Who Will Dig the Graves?

Barry Atwater (Surak), Linda Marsh, Austin Willis, George Gaynes (Police Academy, Punky Brewster, Tootsie), Harry Dean Stanton (EFNY, Alien), Charles Robinson (bad Indian makeup)

Mannix is hired by a secretive multi-millionaire to find his ex-wife. As Mannix pursues the trail, it becomes clear he hasn't been given the entire story.

Some nice supporting players with an interesting mystery, sortof based on a Howard Hughes-like character. Mannix picks up the trail easily enough and passes the "tests" laid down by the millionaire. Nice to see Mannix outfox his tail (although they should have known his car and not been fooled). Seems like the gas station in the NM town caters to everybody (gas, darts, gambling, etc). Nice that Mannix not only finds the ex-wife, he is also able to hide in her camper (which looks remarkably like the same interior camper we saw in "The End of the Rainbow").

I am enjoying the confidence and carriage of Mike Connors as he seems to be sinking farther into his characterization of Mannix. Watching this I believe he is a detective completing his assignments. The twist for the "why" of his assignment in this episode caught me off guard.

Another good episode.

Flashgear and Edgecase like this.