Mannix is Coming! (All things Mannix w/spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Hank Dearborn, Sep 20, 2007.

Tags:
  1. HiDefJeff

HiDefJeff Auditioning

Jeff
    I held off on ordering the complete series to see if amazon prime day would have a sale. Instead, they raised the price by $10 on prime day so I decided to wait, again, until the price dropped back to the $88 range where it had been for several weeks before that. I happily pressed the "Place Order" button just now after seeing that the price came down to $75 :3dglasses: I like that price. I wonder how much CBS/Paramount likes it. That seems awfully low at less than $10 per season.

With Harry-N's post in mind I've been watching the episodes on MeTV this week and noticed, for the first time, that the picture quality is sometimes better and sometimes worse and it seems to vary according to episode. Can't wait to get these discs.

Darby67, bmasters9 and Flashgear like this.
  2. bmasters9

bmasters9 Screenwriter

Ben Masters
    I don't doubt it, as great as the picture quality is on them!

Flashgear, Darby67 and HiDefJeff like this.
  3. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug Wallen
    One word about the picture quality. Fantastic. Superb. Amazing. Spectacular. Awesome. Have I said enough"one" words? This show just blows me away with how pristine the series looks. It is on par with WWW, M:I, Gunsmoke and Perry Mason.

Currently watching the third disc, S1, Ep. 9 - Huntdown

Steve Inhat (Garth of Izar), Ford Rainey, Paul Stevens, Sandra Smith (Dr. Janice Lester)

Interesting 1st act, great set-up. Seems to be an actual mystery with the townspeople all in on the secret. I remember several stories with this same structure, but I always enjoy this type of story when done well. The cast is also very impressive in this one. I like Mannix on his own stories. Hiding behind bales of hay while being hunted by heavy equipment seems slightly inefficient, especially with an injured foot. Interesting what he can do in his semi-stupor. Sure wish my hands were that steady (and I am not drugged :rolleyes:). Anthrax!!! Good story.

Really enjoying the banter between Joe and Lew.

Gotta love all of the jazzy riffs on that Mannix theme.

Flashgear, HiDefJeff and Darby67 like this.
  4. 2604 Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug Wallen
    S1, Ep. 10 - Coffin For A Clown

Norman, Fell Mr. Roper), Gabriel Dell, Frank Campanella, Whitney Blake (Mrs. B), Diana Muldaur (Rosalind Shays, Dr. Pulaski). Christopher Knight (Peter Brady)

Child custody with a twist, the child is the victim? Another episode with some mighty impressive stunt work. Underachiever brother idolized by Overachiever brother. Dune buggies, are we in the 60's or what??? Sure am digging the vibe on this one.

Curious if this is the same set for Mannix's office/apartment used in this episode and at least one prior ep. Also noticing the extensive use of the Desilu/Paramount backlot. Custody for an inheritance? Shame on Mr. Roper and Mr. Loman. Let's all go to the quarry. Clue to Mr. Loman - "didn't really want the kid!" No trial need, goodbye Mr. Loman. Intriguing story and good trick with the name by Mannix.

Flashgear, HiDefJeff and Darby67 like this.
  5. HiDefJeff

HiDefJeff Auditioning

Jeff
    Now you've got me curious. I'll load up S1 E10 first when I get my DVDs on Monday and look for it.

It's easy to see how they wanted to break out of the season 1 "Joe works for an agency" mold. It allowed them to really expand the range of storylines. I really do like many of the Season 1 episodes and the interaction between Mannix and Lew Wickersham. Even though Lew was the boss, he kew he wasn't always right and begrudgingly let Joe do it his way. Two old war buddies with a bond of friendship forged in Korea. Two completely different people and personalities with great respect for one another. It's a shame we didn't get to see at least a few episodes in the later seasons with Lew Wickersham playing a part in the story.

Flashgear, Doug Wallen and Darby67 like this.
  6. 2606 Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug Wallen
    S1, Ep. 11 - A Catalogue of Sins

Percy Rodrigues (Dr. Daystrom), Joe Maross, Joe Mantell, Jennifer Billingsley, Richard Bakalyan, Fay Spain

A theft involved in a blackmail plot. Mannix is clocked on the head again (1 of approx. 55 times). Loved the encyclopedia salesman in act 1. Joe and Lew still very interesting in their banter. Scenery looks a lot like Mission:Impossible. I know it is because it is a Desilu show. Psychiatrist is playing it to close to his vest to suit me. Enjoying the "western" street fight between Mannix and Bradley (P. Rodrigues). Nice cinematic touch and look to this episode.

Darby67, Flashgear and HiDefJeff like this.
  7. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug Wallen
    S1, Ep. 12 - Turn Every Stone

Dabbs Greer, Linden Chiles, Nita Talbot (Marya), Lloyd Gough, John Crawford (Commissioner Ferris), Hampton Fancher, Noam Pitlik, G. D. Spradlin (I'd recognize that voice anywhere), Madge Blake (Aunt Harriett)

A very 60's guest cast. Once again a variation on the blackmail theme. Interesting to see that Intertect has branches. An encouraging addition. Good to see that Joe is still bossing the "bosses". I never knew that actual readable information was printed on the reverse of data entry cards (Traynor handed Joe a pink card with info about a "green car"). Pretty interesting case along with some great location work.

Darby67, Flashgear and HiDefJeff like this.
  8. HiDefJeff

HiDefJeff Auditioning

Jeff
    Once I start watching my DVDs I'll probably go straight through all 8 seasons. I plan to keep a tally sheet for the number of times Joe gets clocked, shot and shot AT, i.e number of bullets fired in his general direction. It will be interesting to compare with all the other numbers out there in different articles and reviews.

9. HiDefJeff

HiDefJeff Auditioning

Jeff
    DVDs arrived :thumbsup: and I watched all of S1 E9 before realizing your question about the sets was about S1 E10. So I ended up watching both. There were some rough similarities between some of the interior sets towards the end and Mannix's office/apartment in subsequent seasons, but I don't think they were the same. The stairs-with-a-landing concept is one used heavily in Mannix and this is just a variation on a theme, I think.

The DVDs are great, as far as I can tell. I suppose it's a downside to the purchase of any large set of discs, but there's no way to tell if all of them are in working order until you play them! Which means fingers crossed that someone, Amazon hopefully, will replace a disc 6 months from now if I find one deep in Season 7 or 8 that's defective.

The new orange-ish box is a little flimsy but the 2 plastic disc boxes inside of it are sturdy enough. The disc-holder flaps come right out of the plastic boxes, which is fine since they're not supposed to be attached at the spine, the prongs that hold each disc in place are a pain in the neck when trying to take a disc out, and the discs are translucent and hard to identify. If all the discs were taken out and placed in one big pile on a table, it would take at least an hour to sort them all because they all look the same until you examine them closely. Episode titles are not printed on the discs themselvses, you have to refer to the plastic case wraparound inserts to figure that out. But these are minor issues in the grand scheme of things.

The picture quality is indeed very good and meets every expectation so far. The sound is also very good. Much better than MeTV which seems to zero out the sound completely when the original audio track drops below a certain level. They do that on multiple shows, probably to save bandwidth, but I find it distracting and annoying.

I also compared an episode that I had on DVR with one of the DVDs. It's amazing what they cut out on MeTV. Half or even whole conversations go missing on MeTV. In the aforementioned S1 E10 "Coffin for a Clown", Mannix goes to talk to a shady rug dealer and has a conversation with him in Armenian that lasts a couple of minutes. In the MeTV version of the episode that entire conversation is missing.

MeTV does an OK job with their cropping to make the original SD video fill a 16:9 widescreen TV, but having the original 4:3 video is a beautiful thing. I have no real complaints about the content. It would have been nice if there were more bonus audio tracks with the actors/directors/producers providing commentary, but that's not really a complaint.

So far I am very happy with this purchase (down another few dollars to $72 from late last week).

Flashgear, Doug Wallen and Darby67 like this.
  10. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug Wallen
    S1. Ep. 13 - Run, Sheep, Run

Ruta Lee, Malachi Throne (Commodore Mendez), John Abbot (Ayelbourne), Richard Devon, Joyce Van Patten

Suprised by the station break cliffhanger, did not see that one coming. Mannix taking on the captain - great. Other than that turn, this episode was pretty easy to figure out. Watchable due to the cast. Great to see Lew still standing behind all of Mannix's decisions.

Due to familiarity with the later seasons of Mannix and almost any "classic" detective shows, I am finding these mysteries not so mysterious, but I am still drawn to these stories due to Mike Connors impressive believability as Joe. His performance comes across as very natural. It seems he is not playing Joe so much as being Joe. It is hard to explain why the show works, but it just does for me. Even the poorly scripted episodes still have that basic characterization nailed. That always makes the episode very watchable.

Just a little detour folks.

Darby67, HiDefJeff and Flashgear like this.
  11. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug Wallen
    S1, Ep. 14 - Then the Drink Takes the Man

John Anderson (TZ, almost every western), Lynda Day George (M:I), Sean McClory (Follow Me Boys), Julie Adams (Perry's guilty client), Eddie Firestone

Lynda Day George-one of my first television crushes playing a daughter to John Anderson. Mannix "married" to Julie Adams (wow) and being brought in as a falling down drunk. Probably one of the best teasers. Of course, I knew it had to be some kind of undercover, especially in light of the prior episode. Seems they would have spread these episodes out some so that there would be no obvious duplication of situations. Nevertheless, a pretty good episode with a rather, for the time, suprise ending.

12. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug Wallen
    S1. Ep. 15 - Falling Star

Jan Sterling, Marian Seldes, Douglas Henderson, Lee Bergere, w/cameos by Army Archerd & Rona Barrett

One of the worst episodes so far - cliche ridden and the most annoying guest turn yet. I didn't like her and and I found this episode hard to sit through and to stay awake for. Not much to recommend.

S1. Ep. 16 - License to Kill-Limit Three People

Peter Haskell (Bracken's World), Karen Black (Wow???), Wright King (Wanted: Dead or Alive), cameo Clete Roberts-newscaster

I found this one to be more intriguing. Obviously, the escaped man is innocent but the journey to finding this out was very interesting. Also interesting to see the obstacle training course for Intertect.

HiDefJeff, Darby67 and Flashgear like this.