What's new

Mannix is Coming! (All things Mannix w/spoilers) (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

Steve Richards

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Richards
Thanks for all the input. I have managed to put the episodes to each square in the main title card.
mannix-label.jpg

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Picked up my copy of the complete series at Walmart today and I'm watching the pilot as I type this posting; looks like it's going to be the summer of Mannix for me!

Did you get it from Wal-Mart online, and then have it delivered Site to Store?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(More generally).

The local Walmarts rarely ever carry these shelf-friendly low-budget CBS/Paramount complete series sets. Not even on the release date. For example, the recently released Mannix, Streets of San Francisco, Vegas, etc ... complete series sets are nowhere to be seen.

It seems like the only shelf-friendly low-budget CBS/Paramount catalog sets the local Walmarts ever carry, is typically stuff like:

NCIS - seasons 1-4
NCIS - seasons 5-8
Criminal Minds - seasons 1-4
Criminal Minds - seasons 5-8
South Park - seasons 1-5
South Park - seasons 6-10
MacGyver - seasons 1-4
The Brady Bunch - complete series
Cheers - seasons 1-6
Blue Bloods - seasons 1 -4
etc ...

(ie. Not exactly exciting stuff).

Edgecase

Grip
Real Name
Casey
Hello all!

I am brand new to this forum and I'm sorry I don't have a thumbnail yet. Also I am not a movie reviewer, I'm just a fan. Since there has been so much in the way of excellent dialogue and reviews of Mannix episodes in this thread, I don't know how to quite jump in except to say that I was first introduced to Mannix, along with many other TV classics, when TV Land came out circa 1996 and I was only 16.

At the time, what stood out is that all the episodes I watched held my attention, and one even made me tear up and I committed the title of the episode to memory ("Bang Bang, You're Dead", which I believe is Season 3). The little girl in the episode was very believable but looking back what strikes me is the realization of how believable Connors is as Mannix.

Some things were predictable...i.e., you always knew at some point there would be a fist fight, but predictability isn't always a bad thing. In fact for me it drew a few laughs.

Back to today, I've been recording episodes on MeTV and watching them later but I'm hoping to get the DVD set soon, start with Season 1, and participate properly in this forum with some real reviews and more in-depth perspective. I realize that I am part of a younger generation of fans but I've always enjoyed the classic movies and TV shows much more than the current state of the art.

Looking forward to writing again very soon! Thanks!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Edgecase: Welcome! We look forward to your reviews and comments. Although I was around to watch the first run of Mannix, somehow I missed it. But just in the last few years I've started watching, and I like it very much. "Bang Bang, You're Dead" is is very good episode, as you say.

Best, Ben

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Casey, welcome to the forum. You'll find it thoughtful, informative and very helpful to a classic tv buff. And you couldn't have jumped in on a better thread than Joe Mannix. I was barely old enough to watch the show at the tail end of it's run on CBS, but the image of him running across the bridge in the opening credits always stuck with me. I was thrilled 30 years later to start buying the show on DVD and I've loved every minute of the plaid sport coats and all the whacks on the noggin. Through the gruff exterior, Joe Mannix is a PI with a heart of gold.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
At the time, what stood out is that all the episodes I watched held my attention, and one even made me tear up and I committed the title of the episode to memory ("Bang Bang, You're Dead", which I believe is Season 3).

As the others have said, welcome from me too, and I think, as the others have stated, that you will enjoy it here. I have all the seasons of Mannix on DVD, and "Bang, Bang, You're Dead" was a fourth-season episode (OAD 11/28/70 on CBS).

As captured from the inside episode guide on the fourth-season release (1970-71):

mannixseason4bangbangyouredead.jpg

Edgecase

Grip
Real Name
Casey
Sad to see that Mike Connors has passed away from Leukemia. He was 91.

Definitely sad. When Mannix came on TV Land in 1996 or so and I started watching it, I recall my dad telling me that while he was doing his residency that his team did a minor operation on Connors. What stands out about that convo with my dad is him telling me that Connors was one of the nicest people he'd ever met, and there weren't too many people my dad thought were nice. I wish I had been more inquisitive at the time. E.g., when was the operation? I do remember him telling me he had a completely different name, which I now know must have been his birth name, Krekor Ohanian.

I'll never know all the details because my dad has Alzheimer's now :(

Edgecase

Grip
Real Name
Casey
I ordered and received the first season on DVD last week and watched the first 4 episodes as part of a girls night *in* and also the 5th episode on my own.

I don't know where to start but to say that my favorite of the first 5 is definitely Episode 4, "The Many Deaths of St. Christopher", probably because the plot is less convoluted than in some of the other episodes. We begin to start seeing the compassionate side of Joe Mannix, who in this situation befriends the daughter of a man he's been hired to track down. In order to track him successfully however, Joe must also use guile and deceit on the girl and it is clear that it pains him to do so. Watching this dilemma play out is intriguing in and of itself but there is also a lovely musical score to accompany it (I call it "Irina's theme", for the time being).

In all of the episodes so far I am impressed with the athleticism of Mike Connors as well as some of the clever predicaments Joe finds himself navigating, especially dodging the helicopter in the pilot.

There are also some humorous moments, most notably in S1E2 where on several occasions Joe does exactly what his boss Wickersham tells him *not* to do. And I'm tickled by the 'GPS' used by Intertect on Joe's car in that episode, and a quote from the GPS tracking fellow, "Nothing about Mannix ever goes right."

So, you might be asking, what's my take on why season one had lower ratings? Well I've got 20 or so more episodes to go so it might be too soon to tell, but it may have to do with the fact that the first episode of any season, or any series, leaves an important impression to the viewer as to whether or not to continue watching the remainder of that season or series. In this case, the pilot has a lot of entertainment value but even today I can see where the premise may have missed the mark with viewers. For one, we are only briefly introduced to Intertect and to Lew Wickersham and not in a flattering light to either party. We get the idea quickly that Joe Mannix does not agree with the rules and regulations and the "Big Brother"-like surveillance cameras at Intertect, but we don't really yet know why. We don't know what a high-tech firm really has to do with this stud of a PI that is Joe Mannix. We don't get to know Lew or Intertect better until the second episode.

That said, Joe Campanella is charming as Lew Wickersham and we feel more connected to him in later episodes and realize that Lew has Joe's back, even though the two don't see eye to eye. The dialogue between the two gets more clever as well, and let's face it. Where else can you find two great voices in one room?

So, I'll write again with more as I get through more episodes. Consider me officially hooked again!

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
So, you might be asking, what's my take on why season one had lower ratings? Well I've got 20 or so more episodes to go so it might be too soon to tell, but it may have to do with the fact that the first episode of any season, or any series, leaves an important impression to the viewer as to whether or not to continue watching the remainder of that season or series.

Quite true! One where that held incredibly true with me was with the first go of Have Gun, Will Travel (1957-58); I saw that first episode (it had the late, great Jack Lord of original-recipe Five-O as a guest star), and with how another late great, Richard Boone, portrayed his lead role of Paladin, I knew that this would be a Western that I would be hooked on. Why? Because before, many Westerns were of the form that turned me off to that genre (mainly gunshots and fights every few minutes); this one, however, had a lead man who only used his gun when he needed to on the jobs that he was hired for, and because of that (and also that this was a philosophical or "thinking-man's" Western), I not only enjoyed that first episode, but all the others of that first go, and all of the second (1958-59).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks