What's new

Mannix is Coming! (All things Mannix w/spoilers) (1 Viewer)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
For the most part, network shows back in the late '60s were shown from the network's own 35mm print that was either transmitted from New York or Los Angeles. So obviously, with two different source prints, the western part of the country saw one thing while the eastern saw another.

There were only two occasions where 16mm prints came into play. Each east or west source would run a 16mm print simultaneously from a separate location. That way, if a power failure or other glitch in the network broadcast occurred, they could instantly switch to the 16mm print running concurrently. I saw that happen many times from routine technical glitches. Sometimes they'd have to stay with the 16mm print for awhile while they ironed out whatever the problem was. Other times, it was quick-in, quick-out.

The other occasion where a 16mm print would be aired is if the local station preempted the show for one reason or another (live sports, local specials, etc.) and had to schedule it at a different hour, maybe on the weekends. Then the network would send them the episode on 16mm film for them to air at their convenience. Other than that, it was all 35mm.

The DVDs plus today's HDTVs give us so much more information than was possible on those old CRT tube sets. Glad you're enjoying MANNIX, Ben.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Home sick today, and I'm having a little Mannix marathon.

The third episode, Time Out of Mind, was a good enough episode starring the always interesting Brock Peters. They played with reality here at times, in a way that was also found on the TV Western The Virginian sometimes between 1968 and 1970. It was the era.

Rightly or wrongly, I skipped 4.04, Figures in a Landscape, because it has one of the lowest imdb ratings I've ever seen for the show—5.8. These ratings are mostly made by fans, and the fans are almost always right.

Right now I'm in the middle of The Mouse That Died, and it's a humdinger. Quite surreal. And sometimes emotional in a good way. One of the top episodes of the show for me so far. It also has some funny humor about the mouse. Has touches of Hitchcock, LSD, and a dash of Rosebud from Citizen Kane. Chester Krumholz wrote the teleplay, and he did a top notch job. Must watch TV for October 17th, 1970—and today, for fans of classic TV!

Last edited:

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I wish we could hear from JoAnn who now receives the honor of a great review of her book. I wish BJ were here too. What a great stories after the show left the air were told. I have been remiss in reading them and sorry for that.

Please let us all read what you have said as JoAnn.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
What we are seeing with the CBS masters of shows like this are things taken from the original elements and then cleaned up in the digital realm for possible HD broadcast—and then downrezzed for the DVDs.

The same as was done for the remastered releases (individual and lot) of original-recipe NBC Star Trek, among other things?

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Watched the Mannix episode "Sunburst" last night, which is the 9th from the 4th season. It was a good one that had touches of Hitchcock, I thought, in the dam scene and in terms of the set-up—"did it happen or didn't it"? Nice stunt work at that dam! A solid "A-" classic TV episode.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Most in this thread have gotten MANNIX on DVD, but I'd like to mention that MeTV is going to run MANNIX on weeknights at 2 AM. So all of you insomniacs with MeTV can enjoy the series after the first of the year. The show had a run on sister network H&I, but that ended some time ago.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I'm a bit late to the dance in terms of purchasing Mannix on DVD, but based on the input of everyone on this forum, I will be purchasing the complete series once my tax refund hits my account! :D

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mike-connors-dead-star-mannix-was-91-969213

Very sad news, I am a huge Mannix/Mike Connors fan, having rediscovered it the last 9 years on DVD. I'm on my second and third viewings of the episodes these last few months, and am appreciating the show, and Mike Connors' tremendous talent, more and more. In fact, I binged about 4 episodes last evening upon hearing the news of his passing. Also stayed up late for Me-TV's nightly "Mannix" airing (they are currently finishing up Season 1)--I hope they do a tribute of some sort, as they often do when classic TV stars pass.

I will close with an excerpt from Paul Mavis' Season 3 DVD TALK review that always puts a smile on my face....

"For the uninitiated in the world of Joe Mannix, West Los Angeles private investigator, a brief run-down of Mannix's set-up is in order. Having dumped the chilly confines of the MCA-like Intertect Agency two years before for his own home base of operations, private detective Joe Mannix (Mike Connors) pads down the stairs from his second floor apartment at 17 Paseo Verde, and accepts the always-waiting first cup of coffee of the day from his pretty secretary, appropriately monikered, Peggy Fair (Gail Fisher). "Regular Joe" Mannix, operating with that easy air of man who may have received one too many cracks to the skull, slips on his regulation sports coat or windbreaker, and calmly awaits his first beating of the day. In between assorted batteries on his person, Joe finds time to entertain clients in his Spanish-themed office, track down suspects in his sleek hunter green 1969 Dodge Dart GTS 340 convertible, complete with handy telephone (not a CB, but a real phone, complete with a clunky handle receiver, telephone number KG6-21-14), make time with any number of gorgeous women, and either beat or get beaten by apparently every known felon in the greater Los Angeles county area. Mannix always solves the case, and fees are only seldom paid. Oh, and if you need to contact Mannix, and he's not in his office, and his car phone isn't answering...try Los Angeles County Hospital."

Rest in peace, Mr. Connors...

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
R.I.P. Mike Connors. I have the entire series on DVD. I'll be watching a few episodes tonight, my latest tribute to a "Fallen Star".

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
I posted this in another thread but MANNIX is the first show I remember watching. I was 4 of 5 when it went off but I remember dressing in my plaid sports coat, tucking my gun down into my underwear, & jumping off the couch each week mimicking the onscreen action. I bought the DVDs out of curiosity in 2012 & really loved the show! Definitely one my favorite tv icons.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
The full series is being released according to TVShowsOnDVD in a shelf-friendly package later this spring. If Mr. Lambert happens to read this, please correct the spelling of Mike Connors' name in the post.

Harry:

Thank you for the update! I've been looking to acquire the complete series of Mannix and wasn't sure I should buy the individual season sets or wait for a complete series. Amazon does a have listing for all 8 individual season sets bundles together currently selling for $65.17: https://www.amazon.com/Mannix-Compl...ie=UTF8&qid=1489544661&sr=1-1&keywords=mannix

Since the bundled season set listing has 48 discs (the same number for shelf-friendly complete series coming in May), I take it that there were not any bonus discs released with the individual season sets.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
My guess is that this is just another CBS DVD series getting a compacted full series release. The discs themselves will probably be identical to the ones in the individual season sets. There were no bonus discs in the 8 season sets and the only "extra" features at all were some audio intros by Mike Connors in Season One.

I actually prefer individual season packages - it makes it easier to find a particular episode by grabbing the appropriate season. The big mega-packs with many discs are a bit unwieldy to thumb through.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
No bonus discs, although there were some worthwhile interviews on the first season set. I imagine they will also appear in the new series set.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
My guess is that this is just another CBS DVD series getting a compacted full series release. The discs themselves will probably be identical to the ones in the individual season sets. There were no bonus discs in the 8 season sets and the only "extra" features at all were some audio intros by Mike Connors in Season One.

I actually prefer individual season packages - it makes it easier to find a particular episode by grabbing the appropriate season. The big mega-packs with many discs are a bit unwieldy to thumb through.
Harry:

Thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards buying the bundled individual season sets since it is currently at $65.17 as opposed to the MSRP of $126.99 (which I know will eventually come down) for the shelf-friendly package coming in May.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
There were no bonus discs in the 8 season sets and the only "extra" features at all were some audio intros by Mike Connors in Season One.

Season 1 had a lot more extras than just the episode intros. I've pulled the list of extras from the Amazon listing for Season 1 so I don't leave anything out:

• Brand-new interview with Mike Connors and Joseph Campanella
  • Audio intros by Mike Connors on episodes and selected special features
  • Mike Connors on The Mike Douglas Show
  • Clip from Diagnosis: Murder "Hard-Boiled Murder" episode
  • Photo gallery
  • CBS fall promo: 1967
  • TV Land promo
  • Sales presentation
They went all out for Season 1, but then all the remaining releases were without any extras. (But while extras are nice, it's the episodes that matter, and it was just good to be able to get every season.) I'm sure all Season 1 extras will carry over to the new set.

I have all 8 individual seasons but am glad the show is getting a complete series release for those who didn't pick up the earlier sets.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks