What's new

Mannix is Coming! (All things Mannix w/spoilers) (1 Viewer)

jompaul17

Screenwriter
Real Name
JoAnn M Paul
Wvtvguy said:
Thanks for the great response! Definitely want to get the entire series. I've been surprised by how much I've enjoyed a show I last watched when I was 5!! I had no idea Mannix had such quality stories, great acting, fine wit, & an abundance of style! I've really enjoyed rediscovering this series.As to why I don't have season 3 yet. I watched Mannix with my mom as a kid. Put my sports coat & tie on & loaded up my toy gun & jumped off the couch every week. Probably the first show I remember watching. It went off & I didn't see it again for more than 20 yrs.In 2011 I got a craving for some old tv. I loved TV land when I first got it in the late 90's but it had moved away from older shows by this time. I started buying DVDs. I'm always looking for new shows that might be interesting. Some I remember but many aired before I was born. At some point I remembered Mannix. I'd seen a bit of one episode on TV Land a few years earlier but it was from season one & was nothing like I remembered. I decided I'd pick up a season just to see what the show was like. Amazon was having a sale so I got season four. No real reason as to why four. Anyway, I really enjoyed the show, sometimes I watched two episodes a night! I never do that. I knew I'd run through season four fast at that rate so I bought season two. I'll definitely buy season 3! I enjoy Mannix too much! The last two episodes I watched from season 2, "Death in a Minor Key" & "End Game" have been outstanding. I'll get season 3 soon since I'm almost done with season 2. I try to stretch these series out.Would you recommend season 1? I know it's the oddball season. Thanks again!
Wvtguy,

Oh, I love this post!

A lot of people loved Mannix as a kid, often with their parents, to the point of imitation. Then, they went away from it. All of a sudden, it no longer seemed cool to love it -- unlike other series of that era. For example, it became cool to love Rockford (among others), but not Joe Mannix.

Heck, even when I was a kid I remember feeling uncomfortable saying I was a Mannix fan compared to other series. Mannix seemed to be stamped as generational. So, I accepted that premise when I wrote the book, and went into it deeper -- I wanted to know why. Because, you are right about the series having all of those qualities you listed -- and its themes are timeless. If they are so generational, then perhaps one generation defined itself by more timeless themes compared to the generation that followed.

Perhaps also some people went away from Mannix precisely because they watched it with their parents, while they watched other series with their friends. They wanted to be hip and separate from their parents -- and I get that, to some extent. That sort of thing is fine as far as it goes. But, when we get older, it becomes time to evaluate storied themes at a different level -- because we tend to need to place not only the values that define our lives, but the values of our generation into context, in the time we have left.

BTW, with respect to viewing habits, as usual, I was different in that regard as well. In season 6 my parents started to watch that NBC Sunday Night Mystery Movie, and I watched Mannix alone in a bedroom on 7" Sony color TV. In retrospect, that worked out better, because I had the series as my own when I needed it most, when issues in my family caused me to need a hero motif just like Joe Mannix that I did not strongly associate with my family. And, of course, that is a part of the story behind why I love the series so much. But, like so many other things, unusual circumstances can sometimes put us in a position to see things in just a slightly different way, things others miss. I'm fully aware my circumstances have a lot to do with my love of the series, which is why I sometimes mention them here.

As for season 1, there is no question that I prefer any season with Peggy to season 1. Having said that, I was surprised to discover, when watching the DVDs over 40 years later, that I had seen season 1 as a kid, and that surely had to do with forming my love for the character in later seasons. I have a dim awareness of realizing that this character I loved to watch was no longer in the office building, no longer working for Lou -- and, at first, I did not like that! So, there had to be some special quality of season 1, for me, before Joe went out on his own.

And, there is a charm to those episodes, the roots of that character are formed in season 1, which MC, Goff and Roberts really took into all of the remaining seasons of the series. We know Joe as a vulnerable guy with a special set of abilities, a maverick who uses his wits, his fists, and who does not like organizations, but we see why in season 1. If you love the character, its basis is really formed there.

You can also see how the series blends the James Bond style of Intertect with the more personal, PI angle -- and this was artfully done, since organizations do not tend to champion individuals -- individuals tend to champion individuals. For this reason, in my opinion, the season 1 format would not have lasted -- it required too much tension there.

But, it worked like magic to springboard into the unique character of Joe Mannix when he went out on his own.

And, how many other series can you name that changed their format so drastically after a single season -- and went on to survive for seven more seasons!

That, among other things, makes this series very special -- very unique.

I sure hope others have the open mind you have about it.

Thanks for the post!

jompaul17

Screenwriter
Real Name
JoAnn M Paul
During the past year, I've discovered that doing mindless housework can be relaxing -- not my normal mode for relaxation, but it can be comforting during certain times of one's life. In painting a basement with leftover paint, I did some research on whether it made sense to use some exterior paint indoors. I came across a site where people went to war over this topic, including many of the mean-spirited methods so artfully employed by regulars on this sub-forum of the HTF. It was incredible, really, to see people behave this way. But it was mostly incredible because I'd seen it before on a completely unrelated topic.

Curiously, about the same time, someone emailed me a link of Bill Maher's Commencement address to the December, 2014 graduation class as Berkeley. For those who don't know, Maher was first invited to speak, then some tried to un-invite him because of remarks he made on his show. Whatever you think of Maher -- and I'm not advocating one position or another with respect to his politics -- he has the courage to think for himself, and to express his views despite the potential for that to hurt his popularity. I admire that a great deal.

So, in a world where some members of this forum chase popularity, find comfort in conforming to the "prevalent" opinions of a few others who seek cheap forms of power, or incite hard feelings just to have their small voices be heard, it was good to see that while the Web is a place that allows small minds to bicker about the proper use of paint it is also a place where you can find what Stephen Hawking thinks about the inherent personal cost of original intelligence as captured in a commencement speech. True originality always includes passion, by the way, along with that cost.

And, for those of you unfamiliar with the creative process, especially in academia, for every truly original idea coming from an original voice there are a thousand narrow minds who can use a host of meaningless techniques to shoot it down -- minds who seem to only be able to feel superior or comfortable or whatever those people want to feel. Whatever it is, quite a few of them seem to want to post to the HTF -- regularly. Notice how they do not tend to care about topics, thus ideas, they just want to pollute the landscape with their posts, and decide what should and should not be posted. They are more concerned about power than ideas.

And, I'll admit, those members of the HTF got to me this year. The process of grieving the loss of both of my parents left me with little ability to deal with it, or much of anything else, despite knowing that dealing with it goes right to the core of what life is all about. While I don't always agree with Bill Maher, I greatly admire his courage. I want to get up someday soon and never again have a day where I don't feel that kind of courage -- that was precisely the moment of clarity that inspired me to write the book in the first place. And, when I did, I also understood that such courage does not come easily. It is a process, more than a state.

By the way, that kind of courage spans political boundaries, thereby covering who we are as Americans, if not at the heart of who we are as people. It typified Franklin Delano Roosevelt (as Ken Burns' recent PBS special so beautifully portrayed) in overcoming polio, a depression that threatened our very nation and a War that threatened all of civilization, as well as and John Wayne's statement to Barbara Walters, back in the 1970's -- when Harry Reasoner was openly getting away with blatant sexism, right on the air, when Wayne said to Walters, "Don't let the bastards get you down."

So, my wish for those good members of the HTF, who only want to find a place to openly express their love for something important they feel we've lost, is for them to find a way towards that kind of courage that goes straight to the heart of who we are, or, perhaps who we once more, more than we are now.

Perhaps in so doing it might be helpful to picture a classroom. Picture the kid who incites other kids to react, by tapping into something angry inside of them, then throws up his hands and says, "It wasn't me." Also picture those angry kids, who can't seem to work out exactly what they are angry about, in life, so they just spew anger, hoping it that they at least won't feel alone with their anger. Then, picture those kids who will simply spout back what others say, just to try to feel important. Those people will always be among us.

But, somewhere in the back of the classroom is the quiet kid who does not buy into this display, who observes it with more than just a little sadness, but finds a way to hold onto some part of themselves and the hope that life can be just a little better than what they are witnessing in this all too sad human dynamic. Then, picture the nerd who quietly goes about their business of discovering and building, only to be mocked by the popular kids who incite more than create. Those kids are on both ends of the artistic and technical spectrum, who go on to create the things that inspire us to be better. The rest become followers, often bickering well into their old age, only finding new partners, but never learning much of anything along the way.

But, this is a time of year to consider the passage of time -- and to make resolutions. Maybe there are just a few out there who will resolve to observe the small-minded people who always say the same things, who never grow up, who use their anger more as an excuse than as fuel to overcome. Maybe we can clean up the HTF and make it a better place, even if in just small ways, thus bringing back the true spirit of the stories we once loved so much -- the stories that are, supposedly, the reason we are here to begin with.

Best wishes to those members of this one small place in the World who want to make things just a little better in 2015.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
JoAnn welcome back!! I received a copy of your book for Christmas and cannot wait to begin reading it. Joe Mannix and Peggy Icons of the 70s. Oh how I wish Gail were still alive to reflect on the series. I had about 2 years ago a heads up she would be featured as a Judge on General Hospital. I recorded it of course. She was still Peggy to me.

Happy New Year

Mark

jompaul17

Screenwriter
Real Name
JoAnn M Paul
Mark Collins said:
JoAnn welcome back!! I received a copy of your book for Christmas and cannot wait to begin reading it. Joe Mannix and Peggy Icons of the 70s. Oh how I wish Gail were still alive to reflect on the series. I had about 2 years ago a heads up she would be featured as a Judge on General Hospital. I recorded it of course. She was still Peggy to me.

Happy New Year

Mark
Mark,

Thanks for the post! Sorry to take so long to respond -- the (genuine, real deal) flu combined with slipping on black ice to incur a severely sprained ankle will do that to a person. It's been a chamber of commerce couple of weeks for life in the Northeast. I can picture Harry laughing at the fools who still live here...

Oh, I do hope you enjoy the book! Let me know!

It was about a year ago I was just finishing it up -- a year that went by fast, for other reasons.

I remain convinced that so many of the problems we currently face, ranging from terrorism to school shootings to general degraded quality of life, can all be traced back to having lost our story, the fundamental elements of the way we used to view ourselves, with hopeful nobility, as people who value toughness more than power, on the whole.

I don't know how to say it any better than in that book, which is rooted in the series, Mannix, which surely gave me so much over the years, and, all these years later, the impetus for insight as well. But the book is about more than the TV series -- it pertains to who we are as compared to who we were.

When I wrote it, I expected attacks -- just look at the "intellectual negativity" that so regularly appears on the HTF. It is rampant in our society, rendering those who use intellectual arguments to be negative ordinary, just flailing their general unhappiness around and hoping it will stick.

But, one person whose opinion matters to me a great deal once told me he felt that no one who actually read the book could not like it. I wish I lived in a world where that was, indeed, true -- and not because I wrote that book. I once did live in a world that was more like that. I want to live in that kind of world again.

Best wishes for the New Year!

jompaul17

Screenwriter
Real Name
JoAnn M Paul
Harry-N said:
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.

Oh sorry, you weren't supposed to hear that...

So, have you rewatched the first season episode with Joe in the leg cast?

Harry
Harry,

I could hear it all the way from Florida -- you didn't need to make the post!

You know, I DID think of watching "Huntdown" these past few days! But, believe it or not, the foot has been so bad I couldn't even get up to get the disks -- couldn't even use my computer until a couple of days ago.

Honestly, after I fell on the worst black ice I ever saw -- or, more precisely, did not see -- I laid there for awhile, unable to get up for some time, two days into having the real deal flu, wondering when anyone might even find me. I looked up at the sky and said to myself, "What an idiot." It was one of those situations where the temp was several degrees above freezing, and the bricks looked merely wet from rain -- but it was pure ice underneath, the slickest surface I have ever encountered in more than half a century of living. I could not walk and had to drag myself over a deck that was not icy -- about fifteen feet -- to get back into my house.

Then, laying around for days afterward, I thought -- quite a few people do not have to deal with this sort of thing. Why don't I live where they do?

I sure hope I can make it to Spring Training this year for my one-week taste of the good life in early March! :)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hey JoAnn and Harry good to hear you both back on the Mannix thread my friends!

Right now it has been darn cold in Chicago with white outs where I live since my house exists in the country. I have picked up the book and began to read but JoAnn your flu has hit here too. I am just getting over it.

Will love to speak more about the book as I get into it and hope Harry can reflect on the book when I begin speaking about it. I know Harry has read it and enjoyed it.

Happy New Year to Mannix fans

Mark

jompaul17

Screenwriter
Real Name
JoAnn M Paul
Harry-N said:
Heh. I don't think there is a dislike button. Can you imagine the workout such a button would get?

Harry
...hoping for better weather for his northern friends...
Harry,

I have wondered about that, actually -- most other apps have both a thumbs up and a thumbs down. Most likely, the owners wanted to promote an atmosphere of civility and decency.

Alas, instead, the HTF proletariat has learned a lack of civility can be accomplished by embedding name-calling in long posts that seem to be about something else, giving the angry masses the opportunity to further delude themselves into thinking they are somehow nice or good people by liking those posts, even turning them into popular posts.

jompaul17

Screenwriter
Real Name
JoAnn M Paul
Mark Collins said:
Hey JoAnn and Harry good to hear you both back on the Mannix thread my friends!

Right now it has been darn cold in Chicago with white outs where I live since my house exists in the country. I have picked up the book and began to read but JoAnn your flu has hit here too. I am just getting over it.

Will love to speak more about the book as I get into it and hope Harry can reflect on the book when I begin speaking about it. I know Harry has read it and enjoyed it.

Happy New Year to Mannix fans

Mark

I just love both of you guys!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
jompaul17 said:
Harry,

I have wondered about that, actually -- most other apps have both a thumbs up and a thumbs down. Most likely, the owners wanted to promote an atmosphere of civility and decency.

You are right JoAnn! I love HTF because of what the owners have established here. I know there are some who go off track. I know I have in the past. I have also got rid of the post afterwards. I sounded off once and had a member no longer post on a thread I enjoyed and he enjoyed. I am sure if he reads this he knows who he is. He came back after I said I was sorry for what I said and I sure hope he returns to this nameless thread again.

I have a great feeling that 2015 there will be less of what you talked about. I think people are just generally tired of the back and forth and just want to read positive posts.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
jompaul17 said:
Harry,

Alas, instead, the HTF proletariat has learned a lack of civility can be accomplished by embedding name-calling in long posts that seem to be about something else, giving the angry masses the opportunity to further delude themselves into thinking they are somehow nice or good people by liking those posts, even turning them into popular posts.

I also wanted to address the second part of your post JoAnn which is very important. You are right of course about this happening in the past. I wish it had not but it did. I even spoke about what happened. I also understand as I said before your need to make a statement about it. I just feel as I know you do that the past is past. I know that is easy for me to say.

Once again 2015 is a new year and as I said in my above post I really believe the board will continue to be what Ron and Adam created it to be.

jompaul17

Screenwriter
Real Name
JoAnn M Paul
Mark Collins said:
You are right JoAnn! I love HTF because of what the owners have established here. I know there are some who go off track. I know I have in the past. I have also got rid of the post afterwards. I sounded off once and had a member no longer post on a thread I enjoyed and he enjoyed. I am sure if he reads this he knows who he is. He came back after I said I was sorry for what I said and I sure hope he returns to this nameless thread again.

I have a great feeling that 2015 there will be less of what you talked about. I think people are just generally tired of the back and forth and just want to read positive posts.
Mark Collins said:
I also wanted to address the second part of your post JoAnn which is very important. You are right of course about this happening in the past. I wish it had not but it did. I even spoke about what happened. I also understand as I said before your need to make a statement about it. I just feel as I know you do that the past is past. I know that is easy for me to say.

Once again 2015 is a new year and as I said in my above post I really believe the board will continue to be what Ron and Adam created it to be.
Mark,

Thanks for your posts.

Yes, these chat rooms have some very interesting dynamics, indeed. Since I started posting here, despite once thinking I would never do such a thing, I've thought a lot more about them as a microcosm of human behavior. Since so much information is conveyed, and people "meet" each other often solely via this medium, it is clearly an important form of human communications. But it is also clearly completely different from talking face to face or on the phone, sending letters or emails or writing letters for open publication (to include personal blogs).

One analogy I draw is that of driving in a car vs. walking, taking the bus or subway, or even taking a cab. Driving affords a peculiar form of anonymity, a kind of alter ego that we seem to think we can exhibit without the need for self-reflection, without the need to carry the consequences of our behavior with what may be our only lasting legacy and reason for being here -- what people think of us when they hear our name. We choose our car and it makes a kind of statement about us, the same as we pick our "handles" in the HTF. We have license places on cars, which supposedly allow us to be tracked down and even removed from the road if our behavior gets too bad. But, until that license is taken away, we use the metal shell we self-selected to, supposedly, get from here to there. In a car, how we get from here to there does not matter -- to some.

Some people clearly drive with road rage. They cut people off, tailgate, pass illegally when they are in a hurry and generally make the road less safe for everyone else. They become intolerant to other souls, as if the only part of humanity that matters is inside their car. They seem to take out their frustrations in a way that they think will cause them no personal penalty, unless they crash, and sometimes not even then. After all, those other things out there are not people, just cars, a mere representation of people. And people, in the general sense. are their problem. They don't think of any of those people as being their mother, father, son, daughter, spouse, or long lost friend. For some, decency is obliterated by a kind of partial anonymity. And so, the uglier forms of human behavior tend to come out with anonymity.

These odd alter egos people have in cars are like the odd alter egos on the HTF that allow people to exhibit such angry, bad behavior that they would likely not do otherwise. I've heard that people in well-placed positions sometimes post here, anonymously. They exhibit a plethora of angry sentiments, seeming to have become angry at life itself, along with pointed attacks at individuals. I've been the victim of such an attack from someone who is "followed" on the HTF. Curiously, this person pontificates "wisdom" that, if someone was really thinking, as opposed to merely following, is easy to break down for its lack of substance. The arguments he makes tend to include "all or nothing" thinking, which is the fallback of a non-creative, angry mind. But, I am not as anonymous. Instead, I turned my experience at the HTF into something creative and productive. Because I care so much about decency, dignity and self-reflection (a big reason I started posting here in the first place), I included my real name when I first signed up to the HTF. Decency and dignity do not end to come unless we are willing to examine and claim our own behavior.

(Curiously, this sort of attack has led me to wonder if one's identity in such a chat room could be the cause of a groundbreaking lawsuit for slander in this new form of social media -- defaming someone in a public forum.)

From some of the moderator's posts, it would seem that this sub-topic of the HTF is notorious for angry posts and personal attacks. I have wondered about that as well. Why would those who like to think about classic TV exhibit such bad behavior? Maybe it is because they are angrier than most. But why?

We tend to feel angry when we feel unfulfilled, as if some sort of promise is unfulfilled. Sometimes I think people are angry here precisely because they realize, on some level, we've lost something of great value in the way the modern-day world views itself, but they can't put it into words.

I never expected to encounter this kind of behavior when I first started posting here. But, after the book was published, and during the process of grieving the greatest loss of my life, is precisely when one of the supposed "great minds" of the HTF unleashed a slur directly at me -- and in another thread,

I know I am not alone in being personally attacked on the HTF. This is the reason I stick to posting in this thread -- I witnessed this bad behavior, early on. My implicit contract is one of I'll leave you alone, and you leave me alone. I do not post here for engagement in the backslapping of a false identity. I started posting here because I wanted to find out something about life -- to be precise, what was behind some of the better forms of human behavior, to include decency, dignity, toughness, true forms of success, and nobility. I yearn for them to come back in the same way as many people on this forum, but I choose to try to do something positive about it.

But, one of the angry pseudo-intellectuals, of a type I am so very familiar in my own profession, choose to attack me in another thread -- and the post became popular.

What does that say about the people who post here?

I believe that the vast majority of people who post here and who read posts here, looking for information on things they care deeply, even passionately about, are good people. But, throughout human history, good people need to be inspired to think for themselves, to be something other than angry people or mere followers. And, throughout history, good people are inspired to be better people via story.

And so, it goes back to story as the answer. The reason we are all here in the first place is story. The world certainly seems to be an angrier place these past decades, devoid of positive, passionate, reflective individuals. And this would seem to be a direct reflection of the loss of connection to the kind of inspiring and healing story that used to define us and which once helped our culture be great -- precisely because it contained more great individuals. If any forum out there in the cloud would seem to help safeguard that kind of story, it should be this one.

But it makes me sad to see what goes on here.

I don't know if next year will be better or not. All we can do is what we can.

My hope is that people in this forum go back to the kind of story they presume to love as their reason for being here in the first place, and find the truth in there that inspires them to be better.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
JoAnn,

Wow – you are right on in your observations about our modern communication. Electronic communication is fascinating and can be very helpful. But there is that perception of anonymity (much like being inside the metal shell of our cars) that allows the real me or you to come out. Unfortunately, the “real” you or me that is exposed in those electronic communications isn’t always pretty. Since I can’t see your face I feel free to say things virtually that I might not have courage to say in person. Since I can’t feel the tension in the room that my remarks may have created I keep plowing ahead as if there isn’t a real person at the end of my text, email, or post. Since I can’t even hear your voice I don’t have to slow down and try to understand what you are writing. Too much of electronic communication is just personal broadcasting, and other people’s opinions don’t really matter. Not quite sure how this relates to Mannix, but it is fun to watch the personal rapport between Joe and Peggy, Joe and Art, and Joe and Adam. It wouldn’t be the same show without those personalities interacting with each other in real time.

jompaul17

Screenwriter
Real Name
JoAnn M Paul
GMBurns said:
JoAnn,

Wow – you are right on in your observations about our modern communication. Electronic communication is fascinating and can be very helpful. But there is that perception of anonymity (much like being inside the metal shell of our cars) that allows the real me or you to come out. Unfortunately, the “real” you or me that is exposed in those electronic communications isn’t always pretty. Since I can’t see your face I feel free to say things virtually that I might not have courage to say in person. Since I can’t feel the tension in the room that my remarks may have created I keep plowing ahead as if there isn’t a real person at the end of my text, email, or post. Since I can’t even hear your voice I don’t have to slow down and try to understand what you are writing. Too much of electronic communication is just personal broadcasting, and other people’s opinions don’t really matter. Not quite sure how this relates to Mannix, but it is fun to watch the personal rapport between Joe and Peggy, Joe and Art, and Joe and Adam. It wouldn’t be the same show without those personalities interacting with each other in real time.
Glenn,

Thank you, so very much, for this post.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
The giant hunks of metal that we drive around in - it's so true that we tend to feel anonymous in those confines. As an example, the situation where you want to get into a lane of traffic while in a traffic jam, typically you'll see cars jockeying for position to keep you out. I've noted that all it takes is that you stick out an arm or your face - something human - and in most cases, the driver will then let you in. It's as if there's no human aboard the car until a part of that human can be clearly seen.

(None of that seems to apply to the thugs in MANNIX, who can clearly see Joe in his convertible, but nonetheless want him to drive over a cliff!)

The Internet is very much like that - except we don't often get to see the humanity. Sometimes a picture can help. I've even observed that typically male-dominated forums will suddenly change their manners when it's discovered that one of their anonymous members is revealed to be female.

Harry

jompaul17

Screenwriter
Real Name
JoAnn M Paul
Harry-N said:
The giant hunks of metal that we drive around in - it's so true that we tend to feel anonymous in those confines. As an example, the situation where you want to get into a lane of traffic while in a traffic jam, typically you'll see cars jockeying for position to keep you out. I've noted that all it takes is that you stick out an arm or your face - something human - and in most cases, the driver will then let you in. It's as if there's no human aboard the car until a part of that human can be clearly seen.

(None of that seems to apply to the thugs in MANNIX, who can clearly see Joe in his convertible, but nonetheless want him to drive over a cliff!)

The Internet is very much like that - except we don't often get to see the humanity. Sometimes a picture can help. I've even observed that typically male-dominated forums will suddenly change their manners when it's discovered that one of their anonymous members is revealed to be female.

Harry
That's funny!

I distinctly remember when I first started posting in this forum, since I had included my real name members welcomed me specifically because I am female. I remember responding something to the effect that I appreciated that sentiment -- because I was used to being in a profession dominated by males that are not so welcoming towards women. I wondered how long that welcoming attitude might last. And, it did not last long.

Most men do not like, and will not tolerate, smart women. They do things like slander them in places that can sometimes be hard to find, and thus defend -- just like that post about me in another thread. Men especially tend to band together in groups, typical of the bad forms of behavior that people exhibit in cars -- groups tend to both confirm and anonymize bad behavior that people would not exhibit if they witnessed the most basic forms of humanity you so well describe. That is one reason I abhor groups -- and so love Mannix, which is so much about the beauty of individualism, to include putting everything on the line for it.

That experience is also why I value those few people who see beyond and stand up to bad behavior, to befriend the woman and ignore the opinions of the crowd, and I count you among that kind of valued individual.

Curiously, all these years, I had thought Mannix, the show I loved so long ago, in a different place and time, must surely be sexist with its tough, male lead. One of the many reasons I love this series it that, much to my surprise, it was so far ahead of its time that it is still ahead of the times we live in. Joe Mannix valued women who were tough individuals -- that was apparent in so many storylines, and evident in the way he respected Peggy, in a relationship that is still unique and also remains so far ahead of its time that nothing like it appears in the movies or TV, to this very day -- a day and age where even our storied characters lack humanity, as if they are encased in metal cars or false identities. Our modern day TV and movie characters reflect people who drive around in cars and post in angry ways, anonymously. They reflect our drive to get ahead, instead of our humanity and need to better understand ourselves as individuals and as people.

swan4022

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron
Is there some background information that might explain why Peggy's involvement in the episodes for Season 6 is so limited? (When I got to "Out of the Night," I was so pleased to finally see her in action.) It seemed like the show had a good thing going the previous 2-3 seasons that included some with Peggy in peril, and some with Peggy taking an active role in solving the case with Joe outside the office, and the writers would want to continue playing on that. I still find this season entertaining, and appreciate how understanding Peggy is of Joe and vice versa (particularly the way they don't have to use too many words to sympathize with one another when dealing with death/violence), but Peggy being more prominent was just something I missed and had grown accustomed to, during the previous two seasons. Thanks for any behind-the-scenes insights.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks