Maniac, Blue Underground.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Joined
Jun 21, 2012
Messages
642
Real Name
Barry
Just watched Maniac which was rather good but the PQ is probably the worst i have come accross on a Blu Ray transfer. Can anyone tell me what has gone wrong, as they are claiming a 2K scan from the original negative. :rolleyes:
 

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2004
Messages
36,008
Location
The basement of the FBI building
The movie was shot on 16mm film which might explain why it's not up to your expectations. I'm certainly no expert but given its low budget origins, I thought the disc looked reasonably good.
 

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Joined
Jun 21, 2012
Messages
642
Real Name
Barry
TravisR said:
The movie was shot on 16mm film which might explain why it's not up to your expectations. I'm certainly no expert but given its low budget origins, I thought the disc looked reasonably good.
Travis i have seen quite a few 16mm HD transfers looking realy good, but this one was flat and washed out?
 

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Joined
Aug 12, 2003
Messages
572
Location
London, England
Real Name
Will
For what it's worth, I think this is the best the film has ever looked. I've not seen it theatrically, but I own the LD, original DVD, SE DVD and now the BD.

I agree it doesn't look great, but I suspect the BD accurately emulates the original theatrical experience, considering the budget and methods employed in making the film.
 

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Joined
Jun 21, 2012
Messages
642
Real Name
Barry
Again though i have seen some very low budget films and nothing as bad as this. This really does look like it has been taken from a fourth of fifth generation print and very far from the the original negative. I think maybe in this case some exaggeration of the truth might have been applied here. Then again i might be wrong.
 

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2001
Messages
5,989
Real Name
Bob
Considering the market for this film was theatrical, I find it very hard to believe that it was not shot in 35mm.
 

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Joined
Jun 21, 2012
Messages
642
Real Name
Barry
Bob Furmanek said:
Considering the market for this film was theatrical, I find it very hard to believe that it was not shot in 35mm.
Seems to be the way of the world in those day's huh? Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Evil Dead looked very good taken from 16mm so it can be done.
 

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2004
Messages
36,008
Location
The basement of the FBI building
Bob Furmanek said:
Considering the market for this film was theatrical, I find it very hard to believe that it was not shot in 35mm.
If (and that's a big if) I remember correctly, it was shot on 16mm or Super 16 and then blown up to 35mm for theaters. If they went back to the negative as the OP says then I assume it would be 16mm.
 

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2001
Messages
5,989
Real Name
Bob
Those are much later. MANIAC was shot circa 1933 by Dwain Esper who filmed his features in 35mm.
 

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Joined
Aug 12, 2003
Messages
572
Location
London, England
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by TravisR /t/323544/maniac-blue-underground#post_3971244
If (and that's a big if) I remember correctly, it was shot on 16mm or Super 16 and then blown up to 35mm for theaters. If they went back to the negative as the OP says then I assume it would be 16mm.
Yes, Maniac was definitely shot on 16mm, then blown-up to 35. The only shots originally sourced on 35mm are the few helicopter shots, which were actually outtakes from Dario Argento's Inferno (on which Lustig was acting as NY location manager). They weren't needed for Inferno as they were too shaky, so presumably Lustig bought them 'on the cheap'!

(All the above comes from the commentaries and docs).
 

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Joined
Jun 21, 2012
Messages
642
Real Name
Barry
Will*B said:
Yes, Maniac was definitely shot on 16mm, then blown-up to 35. The only shots originally sourced on 35mm are the few helicopter shots, which were actually outtakes from Dario Argento's Inferno (on which Lustig was acting as NY location manager). They weren't needed for Inferno as they were too shaky, so presumably Lustig bought them 'on the cheap'!
(All the above comes from the commentaries and docs).
Great info, i should have looked at the extras more than i did.:blush:
 

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Joined
Aug 12, 2003
Messages
572
Location
London, England
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by tele1962 /t/323544/maniac-blue-underground#post_3971270
Great info, i should have looked at the extras more than i did.
The extras are all really interesting. The Joe Spinell documentary is particularly special - I've watched it many, many times for sheer entertainment value alone!
 

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Joined
Jun 21, 2012
Messages
642
Real Name
Barry
Will*B said:
The extras are all really interesting. The Joe Spinell documentary is particularly special - I've watched it many, many times for sheer entertainment value alone! :)
Thanks Will, i will make a point of looking at that as soon as i can. :)
 

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
345,523
Messages
4,744,273
Members
141,471
Latest member
StanfordB