"Manhunter" vs. "Silence..." & "Hannibal"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeAW, Dec 1, 2001.

1. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

With recent news of a remake of Michael Mann's "Manhunter" with Anthony Hopkins starring and a possible Jodie Foster involvement, I'm curious as to how people stand on these cult favorites.

I just picked up the 2DVD "Manhunter" set and was astounded by the different story perspective and the understated power of the older, prequel film, as compared to the Jodie Foster starring favorite and the "Hannibal" sequel.

Which one is your favorite ????

2. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

The more I watch "Hannibal" the more I appreciate it and the more I see why Ridley Scott is one of my very favorite Directors. He took what many considered a weak story but presented it in a way that held my interest, kept me amused and more importantly, had me thinking. It is my favorite of the three.

One wierd thing about Hannibal was I thought for sure I would not me able to accept Mandy Moore (?) as a replacement for Jody Foster. Boy was I wrong. It only took me about 30 seconds to forget about Foster and accept the change.

3. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

Howard, I agree with your assessment of the New Clarice Starling! The New Starling...is a mature of an FBI agent, she is a more action oriented, and a person more capable to take charge of the case and her pursuit of Hannibal. Just by her demeanor and dress, she stands in stark contrast to the Jodie Foster perspective of the character. She stands as a more worthy adversary of Hannibal.

I have yet to listed to Ridley Scott's film commentary, but I did listen to his Deleted Scene commentary and was very impressed with the mastery of his film subjects and his confidence. It's gives the viewer more of an appreciation of the film, in spite of the carping by Critics.

4. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

The 16 to 25 crowd should check out MANHUNTER.
    It's such a cool,intense movie.[​IMG]

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

6. Joe D

Joe D Supporting Actor

I prefer Manhunter to Silence and Hannibal.

I love the inside the mind of the killer attitude that the movie takes. The shots are so great in this film. Spooky shit with all the contrasts in color and the angles. To me Manhunter is all about atmosphere, and it has it more than the Silence and Hannibal.

I enjoy Silence, it's more of a standard thriller but with two excellent villians. I'd rather watch Manhunter though.

Hannibal is great though, I enjoy it more each time I see it. It's so a different picture than the other two, that it stands apart.

7. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

8. Dominik Droscher

Dominik Droscher Supporting Actor

I watched Manhunter yesterday for the first time and have to say that I like it more than Hannibal. I prefer Anthoy Hopkins over Brian Cox though. Red Dragon is in my opinion the best of the three books. On the other hand I think that Silence is a better movie than Manhunter.

9. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

All three are completely different animals, looking and feeling differently.

Manhunter- Very interesting, cool, well made fick with great use of a rock-oritented soundtrack.

Silence- Intense, traditional thriller with some amazing performances and great atmosphere.

Hannibal- More in your face than the other two. A dark sense of humor keeps things interesting, along with an unforgettable ending.

It'll be interesting to see how Red Dragon turns out, even though I can't imagine why Jodie Foster would be in it. It takes place before Silence.

10. Brad Vautrinot

Brad Vautrinot Stunt Coordinator

I feel that DiLaurentiis is trying to jump on the "Hannibal" bandwagon by re-making a film that does not need a re-make. Please forgive my disjointed post as I will write things as they come into my feeble mind.
    Ed Norton & Harvey Keitel are great actors but I think they are seriously miscast to play their respective roles in RED DRAGON (as Will Graham and Jack Crawford respectively).
    This is a film that does not need a remake as the original was near perfection, imho. Perhaps if this one does do well at the box office, Lucas can take over and film three prequels such as Hannibal - the Teen Years, There's Something About Hannibal, and American Hannibal (which could lead to a AH, part 2 and more sequels).
    Stop the madness!
    The best ending, imho, of HANNIBAL was the one from the book and neither of the two in the film (the alternate was better than the theatrical version but both sucked compared to the book's ending). MANHUNTER, to me, is an awesome film and I like the alternate ending better than the theatrical release version. Michael Mann is one of my favorite directors. Michel Rubini's score along with Mann's directorial style made this one of the creepiest and most intense thrillers I've ever seen. William Petersen as Will Graham was superb and as good an actor as Norton is, he'll never be able to play this part as well as Petersen. You'll have to look far and wide to find a creepier serial killer than Tom Noonan who was perfection in the role and I was more wierded out by Brian Cox as Lektor than I ever was by Hopkins. Too bad he had such a small part in the original.
    Harvey Keitel will make the third different Jack Crawford (Denis Farina and Scott Glenn in the first two). We've had two Hannibal Lektors. There have been two Dr. Chiltons so far (Benjamin Hendricksen and Anthony Heald) and we've had two Clarice Starlings. There's no consistency here in the casting and the franchise isn't big enough (e.g. James Bond) to support this.
    There may indeed be some films that could use a remake but MANHUNTER isn't one of them. With so many good books out there untouched by Hollywood, as well as a ton of good ideas, why bother with all these remakes. They should leave well enough alone and move on to other things.
    From what I've read, Foster will just have a cameo appearance in the re-make - just a quick "Hi, How ya doin'" in a hallway scene. This doesn't make any sense as she was a new recruit for the FBI in SILENCE so how could she be in the prequel unless it's as someone other than Clarice. I think the whole project is fucked-up and I wish it would fold.
    [​IMG]

11. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

So from what I'm reading here, there is going to be another Hannible Lector movie? Well, I mean I know it's a remake and everything, but why so close together?

a) When is this to be released?

b) Is Anthony Hopkins going to again reprise his role as Lector?

12. Brad Vautrinot

Brad Vautrinot Stunt Coordinator

I haven't heard of a specific release date. It's in pre-production right now with casting still being done, etc. A script has been turned in and it's supposed to be the working script.

CGI effects will be used to make Hopkins to appear younger in this prequel.

13. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

Brad from North Quincy MA...

I see your points exactly !

Keitel brings such a different dimension to the film and makes it a "Man's Picture"...that being the case, it would ruin the total plot basis of the film series.

This relationship with Clarice and Hannibal is what it's all about, and Petersen's understated performance in the original understood this, and fits in so well with the other two films.

Keitel is too strong a film presence and personality, and Norton is too weak a presence. Norton's pairing with DeNiro proved this in that film "15 Minutes". He just doesn't have the stamina and presence, to go head to head with strong actors of ANY kind. He just isn't a heavy weight actor, to me.

If only Dino wasn't less greedy, and should have expended the dollars to put out a decent DVD edition of "Manhunter" like he didn't do this time. He should have had director/actor commentary, and outtakes and deleted scenes, etc.

While Foster's involvement is limited, she did want to be part of the project, so it's got a chance !

14. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

15. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

Robert, thanks for that catch about the movie title.

I just don't understand the appeal of some film actors these days, like Norton, Stiller, Damon, Afflect, Clooney, etc..

To me, I feel they are too overrated, because 1) there aren't alot to chose from to begin with, and 2) I feel the Media as a whole, pertpetuate a Myth wherein, they mistake being a Public Media Personality and being an Actor, and having those necessary qualities associated with the ability to Act. To me, it seems that just being in a film, qualifies one completely to be taken seriously as an Actor, and we are to unquestioningly accept.

We see these people all over the Media, but they don't communicate anything by their images. They don't have singular personalities from which we can identify them as people we want to root for, and be "us" when we watch the film they are in. That's my feelings about what an Actor should do and be. Today this is sorely missing, most of the time, as the "actor's" are so soulless, and plots less being able to stand on their own without artifice.

There are exceptions but as we go on, it seems there are fewer and fewer compelling instances of distinctive acting performances, where acting is superceded by personality cults, and special effects gimmicks.

16. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

17. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor