What's new

MANHUNTER R1 vs R2 theatrical cut (1 Viewer)

Cassy_w

Second Unit
I love William Peterson (before he got CSI fat) and want to have his children (husband just slapped me). Anyway...

I imported the R2 NTSC dvd release of the REAL theatrical cut (reviewed at DVD file recently) and just want to report that it is, in fact, the real deal. No more cut speeches or dialogue. It's the version we all have watched for years and it looks and sounds great. I sat down last weekend and compared it to the three R1 versions I have purchased (foolishly suckered into buying, each time thinking I was getting the real deal) and this is the complete theatrical edition. There is no reason to go for the Anchor Bay versions anymore.

The transfer appears to be the same as the recent Anchor Bay version, minus some of the heavier edge enhancement. I'm not sure if the extra scenes were added separately somehow, but you cannot tell if they were.

The inclusion of multiple soundtracks does appear to have caused some picture artifacting in a few spots, but it's nothing serious.

The Japanese subtitles can be turned off.

I imported this DVD for less than $35, far less than the norm for Japanese DVD's. I highly recommend it over the BS Anchor Bay ripoff versions.

DannyS

Second Unit
Can't wait to get this. Sounds like another stellar R2 Japan release like "Army Of Darkness" whoo hoo!

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Technically it's not the theatrical cut as the opening credits are over a blue background instead of the original black background. ;)

Overlooking that one difference(and the mysterious green line on the right side of the screen that pops up at the 27 minute mark), this is the definitive Manhunter release I've been waiting for. It even has English subtitles, which for some odd reason Anchor Bay still refuses to include on their DVDs. And of course, let's not forget the DTS track.

The only downside is that I can't bring myself to get rid of the first two Anchor Bay DVDs. I need to keep the 2-disc set because of the featurettes and "FBI files". And the Restored Director's Cut has the Michael Mann commentary. So now I'm stuck with 3 Manhunter DVDs on my shelf which is just gratuitous.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
It is ridiculous that such a memorable scene is absent from all THREE versions of the film available in R1. As it stands now, the "theatrical" cut (version "A") features the best sound options but the shortest cut and the second-best transfer, the "director's cut" (version "B") features the longest cut of the film in R1 but the worst audio and video, and the "restored director's cut" (version "C") features the best transfer, with the exception of a few scenes taken from the poor-quality "director's cut", but doesn't have 5.1 like version "A". The trailer is available on both "A" & "C" but the featurettes are exclusive to "A" and the commentary is exclusive to "C". It's really ridiculous that Anchor Bay has spread extras and varying levels a/v quality over three discs without getting the actual presentation of the film right in any case. To be fair, Michael Mann was actually involved in the preparation of the "restored director's cut" but Anchor Bay knew that the "blow the sick fuck out of his socks" scene was missing on their previous two editions so even if Mann didn't want that scene in the film, they should have at least put it on the disc as a supplement.

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
Nothing odd about it...
It's an extra cost and they're too cheap to pay for it.

On an English language film like Manhunter I don't have a problem with, but on things like Suspiria or other Italian horror films where the Italian dub is available, I'd prefer they include English subs to give me the option of watching the film with 3/4s of the cast speaking their own languages! I know the main English actors will be dubbed in Italian, but the supporting Italian actors come off so poorly with these terrible English dubs. It's nice to find out they can actually act when watching them in Italian.

The Beyond had subs for the italian version which was much appreciated.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Yeah, I have this disc as well. It's nice to actually own the real thing. It's unbelievable that they never fixed this with the remastered release, despite the fact that it was pointed out immediately after the first release.

The Japanese Region 2 is only way to go on this film.

Jeff

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Bill GrandPre:

What's even more bizarre re: the missing William Peterson dialogue is that, on the "director's cut" commentary, Michael Mann SPECIFICALLY TALKS ABOUT THIS DIALOGUE AND HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO THE FILM. It was really odd listening to the commentary and hearing him talk about it, and yet it's not in the "director's cut" of the film he's commenting on.

Vincent

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Not to mention it's quoted in the (undeniably cool) liner notes of Anchor Bay's 2-disc LE.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
Does this include the often deleted last scene with Petersen visiting the "other family"?

Dorian Gray

Stunt Coordinator
Cassy_w, I have one question.
The MGM French R2 release is supposed to offer the theatricul cut. But there's something that bothers me with this release: the opening scene (before main title, the stairs and flashlight stuff) is of very poor quality, on French R2. It looks like it's taken from the first Anchor Bay director's cut! What is the quality of this sequence, on the Japan release? I think it should look just like when Will Graham is climbing those stairs, later in the movie...

Daniel Windsor

Stunt Coordinator
The MGM French release is EXACTLY how it's meant to look as it's through a video camera -that's my impression. It looks really silly cleaned up as seen in the Anchor Bay discs.

It's also how it looked at the cinema in Europe.

h ttp://website.lineone.net/~manhunter/manhunter.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks