1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Mandy (2018)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Reggie W, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Rented this last night and man what a wonderfully strange and weird film. It is beautifully shot and Cage does an excellent job. I just may add this to my collection in the future.

Reggie W likes this.
  2. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    It seems to me I may have been wrong about this picture...I thought there would be about a 50/50 split in terms of people liking or disliking it but looking at reviews (including all those people that now post reviews on youtube) I had a really hard time finding people that dislike it. They seem overwhelmingly outnumbered by people that love the film.

Seems that they had a really hard time getting this booked into cinemas (hence the rapid multi-platform roll out) so it apparently will not play in very many theaters. So, despite the great reviews and selling out theaters where it is playing it will likely be seen streaming or on blu-ray by most people. Shame since this film is a great cinema going experience.

Jeff Adkins likes this.
  3. JQuintana

JQuintana Banned
    BANNED

Me
    I think both the subject matter and the huge drop in Cage's appeal to the masses hurt it most in getting to mainstream theaters. Doubt all is lost because like you said, it will have a decent life streaming most likely, probably not via disc since most folks can't rent discs locally anymore and I doubt the masses will blind buy it.

4. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    The story on the theatrical release, as I understand it anyway, is the company that is responsible for getting this out, RLJE, has basically zero pull with theater chains and so the larger chains just did not want it. So, they went the route they did instead, getting it out there through streaming and pay-per-view and just getting it into the few major city theaters and art houses that wanted to show it.

JQuintana likes this.
  5. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    My thinking is this film was made for $6 million, an absolutely tiny budget in terms of what most films cost and it looks and sounds far better than most films costing $50 million or $250 million. Had they been able to secure a wide release for this at that budget it probably would have been very profitable. As it is it will likely still be profitable as this film is getting great word of mouth and will likely have a very long shelf life as a cult film.

It obviously would be great if they could turn out more films like this at a low cost but it seems there is far more interest from the money people and theater chains to blow $200 million on a mediocre superhero or franchise film than there is to spend short money on something from a good director that is an original project.

6. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Don't watch this until you see the film but this Q&A with Kevin Smith (a big fan of Mandy) is fun:

Bryan^H and Jeff Adkins like this.
  7. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Best film of 2018.

Reggie W likes this.
  8. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I’M watching this right now and Reggie’s description is right On.

I’m streaming it through an app that I just found out about called Hoopla.
    It connects to your library and you can rent movies, books and music for free and stream onto your tv or device.

This show the first one I’ve done that with. The quality is dvd so it doesn’t look great but from the feeling I’m getting it seems to fit this movie.
    The King Crimson opening song and the eery soundtrack is born of the 80’s.

I also noticed that the opening credits and the segment intros are slightly on the left of center and something about that made me feel uneasy and I loved it.

There’s also some odd camera shots but subtle, Almost
    Ike a full frame widescreen movie that is just slightly squished down on the top and bottom. It is just ever so slight.

Reggie W likes this.
  9. The Drifter

The Drifter Supporting Actor

Jim
    Recently saw Mandy (on DVD) and felt this was a great & extremely disturbing film. It definitely brings to mind a low-budget horror flick from the '80's - and I mean that as a compliment; this was also strongly emphasized by the '83 setting. Very surrealistic as well, especially the red-tinged dreamlike sequences - unsettling & horrific. The brief animated sequences strongly reminded me of the early '80's adult animated film Heavy Metal.

This film also had elements that slightly reminded me of: Dario Argento's Italian horror films from the '70's (Suspiria, etc.), the first Hellraiser film (the way the demons/monsters were "called"), etc.

Good to see Bill Duke again, even though it was in a small role; I haven't seen him in a movie in years, and wasn't sure he was still around.

Reggie W and Bryan^H like this.
  10. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

We need many more movies like this in the modern movie landscape.

Reggie W, The Drifter and TravisR like this.
  11. Message #31 of 31 Aug 30, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    The Drifter

The Drifter Supporting Actor

Jim
    Agreed. As great as Mandy is, it's a twisted, very non-mainstream film with an unsettling & at times hellish atmosphere. I.e., it's a film I can't imagine Cage having done 8-10 years ago.

Reggie W likes this.