What's new

Mandatory Evacuation (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
This is not a thread about prune juice. I'm also not interested in the public safety or common sense aspects of EVACUATION.
My interest is legal, constitutional....what are ones rights as a homeowner when the "authorities" come around with bullhorns and tell everyone to "Leave Your Homes Immediately!"
This probably varies from state to state. Long ago I was told that no one can make you evacuate your home in Texas. But I have no legal referance for that.

Sample answers that we can skip past:
1)If a heavily armed S.W.A.T. team tells me to go, I'm goin!
2)Only an idiot would a ignore a tornado (hurricane, fire, poison cloud, falling space station) warning.

I'm interested in a little known subject, our personal property rights.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I've been evacuated from my various homes over the years more than I care to remember. Last time, when a Beechcraft Bonanza crashed into the apartment building across the street from me (all of forty feet away), I was told in no uncertain terms by LAPD that I had to leave my building immediately. They cut me no slack.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I'd also leave when told. But I'm curious about any rights we might have to "go down with the ship."

David Baranyi

Stunt Coordinator
There may be a reason why the authorities may want to legally force people to evacuate: to prevent looting of businesses or potential criminal activities. Empty stores and businesses are easy targets during a natural disaster.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
David, is looting a middle-class trait? ;)

Don't answer that, I'm really not trying to get my thread closed.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Wasn't that the time you snuck back in and laid low, Jack? :)

Peace Out~:D

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
But are the kind of people that'd loot businesses at such a time the kind of people who would follow orders to evacuate? Seems to me that such an occurance could lead to more looting.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't think people should be forced from their homes, but I do think that if you choose to stay, at that point your safety is totally your own responsibility. No calling "911" when things get hairy and expecting someone to swoop in and rescue you. You ignored advice to evacuate, you deal with the consequences (no matter how dire).

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
In Virginia:
§ 44-146.17. Powers and duties of Governor.

...He may direct and compel evacuation of all or part of the populace from any stricken or threatened area if this action is deemed necessary for the preservation of life, implement emergency mitigation, preparedness, response or recovery actions; prescribe routes, modes of transportation and destination in connection with evacuation; and control ingress and egress at an emergency area, including the movement of persons within the area and the occupancy of premises therein. Executive orders, to include those declaring a state of emergency and directing evacuation, shall have the force and effect of law and the violation thereof shall be punishable as a Class 1 misdemeanor in every case where the executive order declares that its violation shall have such force and effect...

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
The current storm in NC forced a "mandatory" evacuation order, but people are free to stay if they wish under a strict curfew. Not that its necessarily smart, but it certainly is their right.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They also recommended that people who choose to stay write their names on their arm so that they may be identified later in case of death or incapacitating injury. (read in a story on CNN.com).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This is what I'm talking about (from CNN.com):

Why should the rescue personnel risk their lives because of other people's stupidity? These people should have left two days ago. I think they should be left to fend for themselves.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
A better solution would be to make sure that they knew that they were not supposed to be there, and then send them a bill for the rescue!

Glenn

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
They also recommended that people who choose to stay write their names on their arm so that they may be identified later in case of death or incapacitating injury
what about those injuries which may rip off the arm with your name on it? at least we could identify the arm, no?

CJ

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
what are ones rights as a homeowner when the "authorities" come around with bullhorns and tell everyone to "Leave Your Homes Immediately!"
Having studied my Romero movies I can assure you that even the SWAT team would have a fight if they tried to remove me from my easily defended apartment in the event of mass zombie revolt.

In the event of a mere natural disaster my building has a vintage 60's Fallout shelter built into the basement. The shelter was obviously a multi-person shelter due to its massive size (couple thousand sqr feet by guesstimate), and is only inhabited by water heaters and boxes of lightbulbs.
I asked the building owner if in the event of an emergency if tenents could use it. He said sure, and that back when it was built it was supposedly one of the more impervious civilian models (Mostly steel reinforced concrete). He said for earthquakes, fires, bomber runs, and hurricanes it should be OK, but it doesn't have any air or water filtration left (if it ever had any).
Thus he suggested if the threat was biological or radioactive in nature I best get the f*ck out of dodge, but if it was a regular disaster then he doubts that there would be a safer place to stay than within its three foot thick walls. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.