Manchurian Candidate - Improperly flagged?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Greg_R, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Is the current Manchurian Candidate DVD release inproperly flagged? For some reason TheaterTek can't get the aspect ratio correct (it's either zoomed in and chops the edges or there is a full window around the image). If the flags are correct then Theatertek should have no problem with the AR. Anyone know?

2. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Flagged as in 16:9? It isn't, unless there was a new 16:9 enhanced release that slipped under my radar (not unheard of...at all).

Do DVD's flag for 3:4 as well? I suppose they do, I hadn't really thought about it.

3. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

In fact, a new anamorphic SE (very slightly windowboxed) is coming July 13.

4. TonyDale

TonyDale Second Unit

The current release of MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE is non-anamorphic; however, the dvd being released on JULY 13 IS.

5. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

The old transfer was 1.75:1 non-anamorphic with mono sound.

The new transfer is 1.75:1 and is anamorphic with mono and 5.1 soundtracks.

I don't see why there shoud be windowboxing, as 1.75:1 is very close to 1.77/78:1, but as long as the framing is correct then one shouldn't complain.

It's a great film - one of my long-time favourites. Proof that Sinatra was a fine actor in addition to be a legendary singer. Frankenheimer made some amazing films in the 60s and 70s and his commentary is one of the best you'll ever hear.

6. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Agreed; and re Sinatra I think Suddenly double underlines that. I'm just trying to pluck up courage to order the least bad of the PD versions.

The new Manchurian Candidate is heading my way right now, problem is trying to find someone I know, and deserving, who I can give the old version too!

7. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    This might be the issue. Those extra lines may be enough to force Theatertek to shrink the screen. I'll post on their forum for more help but I wanted to ensure there wasn't a known issue with the disc. Thanks!

8. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

Well, I wasn't making it up. Here's a capture from the new SE:

[​IMG]

Note the thin black spaces on either side of the image--windowboxing. Measure out the image, and it comes to approximately 1.75:1.