Managing multiple accounts in Windows XP

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jon_Are, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Jun 25, 2001
    There are four of us in the house who use the same computer. I've set up each with their own account, but I'm confused about the way this works.

If I change something within my own account (for example, the shortcut icons on the desktop), I would expect that it would not effect the others' desktops, but it does. Each account's desktop reflects the changes I made within my own.

Is there a way around this?

2. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Jan 24, 1999
    If everyone's icons are changing, that's because the icons are located in the "All Users" Desktop folder.

Try this- right click on the start button, and select Explore All Users. This will open up the All Users folder that's within the Documents and Settings folder on the C: drive. If you click on the Desktop folder, you'll likely see some icons in it. Move these around to the Desktop folders of whatever users want them (their folders will be down the list, below the All Users folder).
    It works the same for the Programs folder under the Start Menu.

When installing software, you are sometimes given the option to install for all users, or this user only. I think there's a way to set this up by default, but I forget how.:b