What's new

Managing Dual Subs (1 Viewer)

Harris_C

Stunt Coordinator
What component(s)would you need to hook up and manage Dual Subs PD-12's from SVS? For a traditional Home Theater.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
A Y-splitter, an SPL-meter, and a calibration DVD.

Calibrate each sub individually, then back down each sub 1.5 - 3.0 dBs each (3 - 6 dBs total), depending upon relative location.

With all other settings left alone, co-localizing (ie. stacking) subwoofers can yield an output increase of up to 6 dBs.

With all other settings left alone, separated subwoofers, have a 3 dB (double the volume) output increase.

Harris_C

Stunt Coordinator
Thank guys, wow that is alot to read :)

So just to clarify, I could use a Denon 4306 use a Y cable insert into inputs,
and then I should callibrate on an individual basis? Correct

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
I say to calibrate each of them individually because, especially when they are located in different locations in the room, there is no way of knowing how much each will contribute to the total SPL without first calibrating them individually to "get a feel" for each one's contribution that total.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
You also need to set the phase of each sub to the mains individually too. And then just to make sure, with each other. Otherwise, you could have a situation where you're getting cancelling, and that is worse than no sub at all. :)

If you need to know how to set phase, holler. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks