Managing 2 computers...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by MarkHastings, Jun 4, 2006.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Well, now that I have my laptop, I'm in a predicament. I've always used my desktop alone, so email, anti-virus, etc. was easy - but what do I do now?

I have always used Netscape email because that's what I've been accustomed to, but now that I have the laptop, I wouldn't mind looking for something else that I can manage with both computers running.

What can I use so that I can get my email on both systems? Also, I have MacAfee's spam guard on my desktop system, but what do I do if I want to access email from both computers? Right now, I leave my desktop on and I use my the web based client to check my email from my laptop. After a few days, I let the 'safe' messages download through my desktop (into Netscape).

But this seems so clunky. What's the best way to deal with email, spam protection, etc. when you have 2 systems?

Unfortunately, I just renewed my MacAfee Spam blocker, so I'd like to keep using this method. Knowing this, would it be best to leave the current system in place?

My anti-virus trial is up in a month on my laptop, so I'm looking into something for it. I was considering moving the MacAfee license to my laptop and use (ugh) Outlook to check messages from my laptop (eliminating the desktop for email needs).

Any ideas on how to run all this stuff (easily) with two systems???

2. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

For email, I just use gmail and yahoo mail since checking it from anywhere is the same, but you may also want to check out an imap email server. Imap will keep all the clients sync'd with the server. Which means that if you delete an email with your laptop, the deletion will propagate to the desktop.

I use imap with my pdaphone for work emails so that it'll beep me whenever I get a new messege immediately.

It's at least worth looking into ;p

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Just download AVG. It's a very, very good anti-virus that is completely free to home users.

4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    avg is great, so is antivir. don't pay for antivirus software when free alternatives are better.

CJ

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    DP

6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    "What can I use so that I can get my email on both systems?"

For incoming, install your email client of choice (Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.). Then, for both computers, make sure the "delete email after download" option is disabled. You want to make sure that downloading email to one computer doesn't delete it from the mail-server, and the other PC can still download it.

However, managing all "sent" emails is beyond my knowledge, if that matters.

I've been using AVG for a couple of years now and find it suitable; the price is certainly right.

Like Rob says, Gmail and its ilk can be handy. My email server forwards all email to my Gmail account. I download it to my PC home, using Thunderbird. But I can also check online from say work. Of course, Yahoo, AOL, and very likely your service provider offers you similar features.

Beyond that, you may need to worry about file synchronization -- keeping files created and modified on the different computers up to date and available on both computers. I don't have any specific suggestions, except to search online for a suitable tool.

7. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Dave's suggestions about file syncing is good. The best free tool I've used is made by (gulp) Microsoft. It's name is unfortunate -- SyncToy -- but it works really, really well. I've been using it since it came out (I think about 6-8 months ago) and have no complaints so far.

I find it espeically nice for syncing my pictures because I often upload them to the laptop, but prefer to store them on my RAID drives on my desktop. With this I just pull up the program and click the Sync button and it's done.

8. MarkHastings

Yeah, I've gone the "Don't delete emails from server" route when I check from 'other' computers, so that I can live with.

It's this Spam blocker software that's killing me. Like I said, unfortunately I just renewed it for another year, so I'd hate to go with something else...

Let me explain my current email methods and see if you guys have a better suggestion...

Right now, I have the spam blocker on my desktop. When I'm on the laptop (or at work), I use my ISP's 'web email access'. This is great, but if I don't leave my home desktop on all the time, the spam software doesn't manage the emails and when I check from work (or the laptop), I get bombarded with spam and having to sift through emails for 'real' ones.

I was thinking of using the spam software on my laptop because I'm always using it and it would manage my email best, but since I don't leave that on during the day, I'll have to suffer with all the spam coming in when I check from work.

Not that it's a horrid situation because the web access doesn't download any viruses and since I boot my laptop every day, I'll only have to deal with today's spam when I check from work.

I just wanted to know if this sounds like the best/only way of really doing things. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something that would make things easier.

Hearing the responses, it seems like I'm basically doing the same thing you guys are doing.

9. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I know you don't currently use Outlook, but you made reference to having it. What version do you have? I use Outlook 2003 and it does a pretty good job of filtering spam into a junk folder. It's certainly not 100%, but for something that I didn't have to pay any extra for, I think it does a decent job.

10. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

For file synch, look into the Briefcase feature in XP. That's basically a cached copy of your file storage and when you edit stuff on there while away from the network it stores it locally. Then, when you hook the laptop back up to the network at home it will sync that content to the shared folder.

As for the spam blocker, couldn't you just run it on the laptop as well? If you use one at a time you should be fine both morally and legally. Unless of course it is one of those horrible things that call home and needs you to jump through hoops to get it "activated" on a specific machine, in which case "blurgh!". [​IMG]

If your home computer is on 24/7 and on the net 24/7, you could set up a dynamic DNS name for it. It's free at several places, including http://www.dyndns.com . You'd set up a piece of software on your machine that would keep the DNS address updated (easy enough to do) and then your machine would always be, say, mark.is-a-geek.com or some such. Hastings.kicks-ass.net? [​IMG]

That would allow you to connect to it from wherever you were using a remote control program like the built-in windows Remote Desktop feature or something like UltraVNC. That way you could use your desktop mail program from wherever you were, using the filtering software. I use this functionality myself a lot, very handy. It has obvious security implications but as long as one uses an encrypted version of the software it shouldn't be a problem.

11. MarkHastings

I was actually thinking of that, but I wasn't sure what would happen if they were both on at the same time. Not so much legal implications, but if both pieces of software are calling out to my email account (at the same time) could I run into some sort of conflict?

I use McAfee's Spam Killer - I like it because it holds all of my mail on the server until it verifies whether to download it or not. This way, if it's not on the 'safe' list, it doesn't even get downloaded to my computer. I like this over using the 'junk mail' filter in Netscape because that has to get downloaded before deciding if it's spam or not. With McAfee, I can delete spam directly off my ISP's server without it being downloaded to my system.

I don't know what will happen if I try to install on another system though. I guess I'll check their web site first...

As far as my desktop being on 24/7, I'm trying to avoid that. Originally I kept it on for the spam protection and for sharing my iTunes...but I just ported my iTunes to the laptop, so I don't need to worry about that anymore. It's just the spam blocker.

I guess my last resort is to move my email and spam blocker to my laptop and no longer use the desktop for email. That's probably what I'll end up doing now that I find myself on the laptop 90% of the time.

12. MarkHastings

I use Outlook 2003 at work, so I'm not so adversed to using it at home. But I'd still like to use SpamKiller rather than the built-in spam filter...well, at least until the subscription runs out again [​IMG]

13. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Do you always bring your laptop home with you?

Can't you make the inbox/outbox folder a shared folder between your two computers? I've never used 2 computers the same way you are with email, but if you always bring your laptop home, then wouldn't it synch right up when you open Netscape since you always have your desktop on? I've done stuff similar to this with a laptop/PC combo, but never with my email.. only with photos, music, etc.

14. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

It updates the virus definitions and software automatically. I've used it to for a couple years. It's great.

Grisoft doesn't make it easy to find, so here is their webpage for the free edition:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

15. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    As BryanX said, it's automated, updating itself automatically.

16. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Well, it's not the most advanced program there is, but it does the job. You have a briefcase on the laptop and sync that to a drive on the network, works fine. It's not advanced or even very automated, but as I said it's better than nothing.