Man Who Wasn't There? Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KevA, Apr 17, 2002.

1. KevA

KevA Stunt Coordinator

I just bought this DVD (in Canada) and the aspect ratio is 1.78:1. Most sites indicate the movie is really 1.85:1. What the heck is going on here? Can somebody clarify what the real aspect ratio is...I might have to take this back.

kfa

2. KevA

KevA Stunt Coordinator

Answering my own question: having compared the DVD with other 1.85:1 discs, the difference is negligible in the picture shape and size. I guess the DVD is fine and the aspect ratio is in fact "correct."

kfa

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    1.78:1 is fine. Like 99% of 1.85:1 films, they are meant to be matted from 1.66:1 to 1.85:1 in theaters.

You gain a few lines of resolution, but don't lose and side information. In fact, this is the best way to show a 1.85:1 film on DVD. (Exceptions include VistaVision films)

4. Michael Coate

Michael Coate Stunt Coordinator

5. KevA

KevA Stunt Coordinator

To Patrick and Michael:

It looks like I overreacted, probably due to the false rumour on these DVD forums that the Canadian version of this title was to be "pan-and-scan" only. (Perhaps I've also been reading too many Disney threads!)

To Michael: The back of the DVD specifically says that the aspect ratio is 1.78:1. (The DVD artwork on the Canadian "version" is NOT the same as its U.S. counterpart. I'm pretty certain, however, that the disc itself is identical to the U.S. version). I have a 4:3 TV.

I have since watched this film and it is (as many others have noted) visually stunning.

Thanks to you both for your notes of clarification with regard to aspect ratios, etc.

kfa

6. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

The US version doesn't mention the AR anywhere on it. I got scared after seeing some online sites list it as 1.33:1. But playing it confirmed it was 1.78:1 anamorphic.