What's new

Man Who Fell to Earth single disc? (1 Viewer)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I ordered The Man Who Fell to Earth from FYE and when it arrived, the cover art didn't match the familiar version. It's David Bowie's face in a triangle (point down), with a landscape in a circle. I apologize that I don't have a picture. UPC is 1313124789.

I looked at the packaging and found it was an Anchor Bay 2003 release, so I figured the packaging must have been changed at the last minute, or their are a couple covers. When I opened it, I found only one disc and a single-page insert.

Anchor Bay's website makes no mention of any version other than the familiar one, nor can I find listed in DVD Profiler or at any other e-tailers. FYE doesn't even have it listed, exactly. They just have it with two different prices, but both with the familiar cover. Anyone know anything about this?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I just got the two-DVD version, and the cover of the disc package matches the one you mention. However, it comes in a slipcase that shows a half-face shot of Bowie on its cover (NOT the profile image that's also the cover of Low): Amazon's picture

My version definitely has two discs, and it comes with a little booklet too. I have no idea what happened with your version, but it's definitely not the only one on the market - this wasn't a cover/packaging change...

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The new version is a double disc set with the cover Colin linked to.

The previous version came in a keepcase and was a single disc, with a burgundy "widescreen" banner at the top, and a blurry Bowie face in a light tunnel, with "Fox Lorber" also on the cover. This is the old, nonanamorphic transfer.

There is no single disc edition of the new transfer that I know of, however what you have is an Anchor Bay UPC which isn't the same as the dual disc version. I don't know what to tell you.

Eric F

Screenwriter
I saw the two version on FYE too, and ordered the two-disc version. I've seen the single disc Anchor Bay listed somewhere else, I just don't remember where.

Don't worry, you're not missing much- the extras are sort of sparse. If I had to order again I would go for the single disc version to save a few $.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it's a keepcase. I know it's the new version as it says "copyright 2003 Anchor Bay Entertainment, Inc" and has a DTS 6.1 audio track.

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Just picked up the new 2-disc version @ BB this week for $17.99. The DVD Mgr discounted it for me as it was released last week on sale for $19.99 (regular price is $22.99)-- and they told me that they had 2 copies on hand and would hold one for me. Problem is that the staff NEVER opened the box in the back, so it's been sitting on a back shelf for over a week. (I'd checked three times last week and each time was told they were "looking everywhere for it".)

This DVD is scarce around town for now...sometimes it takes BB a few weeks to stock their shelves with new releases of "older films". Have found no mention of a 1-disc version here.

The UPC on mine is: 13131-14779

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
So we now have people stating that there are 3 packaging variations:

2 discs in custom case with slipcover
2 discs in keepcase with slipcover
1 disc in keepcase

?!?!?!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks