What's new

Man, 'UNSOLVED MYSTERIES: GHOSTS' is one hair-raising great time on dvd! (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I bought this set over the weekend for both myself and a second set for a friend as a late x-mas gift. I sat down to watch it Saturday night, having not seen most of these stories for a long time, in some cases a decade or longer. What a frightning few hours that was! :frowning:

IMO, most of these stories are far scarier than alot of the big budget horror films Hollywood puts out these days! What contributes greatly to the effectiveness of these stories is Robert Stack's appropriately dry and seriously toned introductions and narrarations of each episode.

Anyway, I know that Halloween is ten months away, but if your in the mood to be seriously creeped out, pick up this set, it's sure to please, and in some cases, depending on your sensitivity level, deprive you of sleep. :)

I may pick up Unsolved Mysteries: UFO's this weekend, those are freaky as well to me.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Thanks for the suggestion... I am wanting to add this set to my collection too.. but haven't had the chance to yet. I am a horror fanatic myself and love anytyhing in the genre.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
A few of my favorites from this set...

Resurrection Mary (Disc 1)

Ghost Boy (Disc 1)

Queen Mary Ghosts (Disc 1)

Tallman's Ghost (Disc 2)

Comedy Store Ghosts (Disc 3)

Gordy's Ghost (Also the basis for a made for television movie on TLC entitled 'A Haunting in Georgia') ( Disc 2)

Frightened Family (Disc 4)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I have to agree; got it for the missus when it first came out, and was sucked into it as well. Very cool set of stories, esp. the one with the lady who gets rides to and from the cemetary she's buried at! :eek: Was that "Resurrection Mary"?; I forget the details.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
When I read the about Unsolved Mysteries coming to DVD, I was pleasntly surprised. I know that a lot of stuff is coming to DVD but I never dreamed Unsolved Myseteries would make it. I remember watching that show when I was young and being terrified during some of the stories (especially the UFO and the murder ones). It was fun seeing some of the episodes again.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
That show STILL scares me to this day. I'm 18, and LOVE horror films... but none of them really scare me anymore. But that show... with Robert Stacks narration... the camera styles... the re-creations... the eerie "artist conception" drawing on some episodes... it all scares the living hell out of me. *shudders*

Even during the bright day-light I get the willies... I have trouble being alone in the house... then I go watch Halloween and don't blink an eye walking around the house.... weird...

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I think that it's the simplicity of these stories that make them so effective, they aren't that long, so they're just like those ghost stories one would tell around a campfire.

Also, depending on what you believe, these stories are supposdly true, a notion that cannot get anymore disturbing to me.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I agree with everything that's been said, especially what Robert wrote. I too have seen thousands of horror films but none of them come close to what UM did.

Whenever I want to be scared I always pop in a few episodes of this show. The ghost set works brilliantly because after every episode I'm scared to look up in fear that something is there. :D

Robyn

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the Unsolved Mysteries review. I went to Best Buy the other day with the intentions of buying the set but I wasn't sure if it would be worth the price ($44-ish) so I put it back on the shelf. You all are making it sound worth using my Xmas gift certificate on. I have a feeling it might be added to my collection by the end of the day.:D
By the way, I do belive more UM Bizarre Murders is coming out on the 25th of this month, and UM Legends is coming out on 2/15/05.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
David,
yep, that is 'Resurrection Mary' alright.

Another that I just can't shake from my mind is called Black Hope Curse on disc 2.

When the husband comes home after a late shift, what he see's in his kitchen raised some very serious goose pimples! :frowning:

I should also point out that each episode is remixed for DD 5.1 audio which it uses to great effect in many cases, mostly just whooshing sounds with the music.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member

That's my favorite segment in the set. Extremely creepy and interesting. There was TV movie based on that story, Grave Secrets: The Legacy of Hilltop Drive, and its just as creepy. One of the best TV movies I've seen, that's for sure.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Isn't Patty Duke in that? If so I remember that movie, it was somewhat different than what is shown on the 'UM' dvd. Only one family was effected in that movie rather than two.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I've been waiting for someone to either praise or thumb their nose up at these sets for a while now. The Ghosts volume has caught my eye especially, and DDD has any of them for $29.99 all the time (plus free shipping). Perhaps I'll pick one up now.

Here are the chapter listings for upcoming volumes:

Psychics (1/25):
1. Life After Lightning
2. Epilepsy Pooches
3. Twins,
4. Bible Code
5. Lottery Miracle
6. Reincarnation
7. Mother’s Instincts
8. After Death Visits
9. Past Lives
10. Dreams Come True

Strange Legends (2/1):
1. Elvis’ Last Night
2. Holy Grail
3. Amelia Earhart
4. Noah’s Ark
5. Martin Luther King
6. Big Foot
7. Who Killed Superman
8. Yeti
9. John Wilkes Booth
10. Agatha Christie
11. Bermuda Triangle

Ghosts, UFOs & Strange Legends all interest me.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Is there anything about a Dallas-area "lady of the lake?" We have a legend about a ghost at local White Rock Lake, and I believe I've seen the story recounted on TV.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Jeff,
you mean that when you listen to the closed caption track on disc three, it indicates what was being said on disc one!? That really is strange. :confused:

I'll have to check that out.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Greg,
I don't think that story is on this set, perhaps they might do a second volume down the line with that one on it.

Another thing that I want to mention, the list of episodes and their summaries on the backs of the cases are really hard to read because of the foil used. You have to get the backs in the light in just the right way to read them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks