Man this is all new to me

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DennisP, Feb 8, 2002.

1. DennisP

DennisP Stunt Coordinator

Hello all, This is my first post to this group and hope someone can answer a question for me.

I was at Best Buy and saw a DVD audio disc of "Riding with the King"...Eric Clapton and BB King. I love the CD (which I own)..and have a Pioneer 525 DVD player. I have a few Concert DVD's which I play in my DVD player usingthe DTS audio on those DVD's. Can I play this DVD Audio disc in my player using the DTS audio option?

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Dennis, if the Clapton & King DVD-Audio disc has a DTS track, then yes, you can play it on your Pioneer '525. However, most of Warner's DVD-Audio discs only have a Dolby Digital track for playback on DVD-Video players. Have you read the back of the Clapton & King super jewel case to see if a DTS track is included?

Whether you are playing the DTS or Dolby Digital tracks, you are not hearing the highest-resolution track the disc offers, which, of course, is the DVD-Audio track. Dolby Digital tracks on DVD-Audio discs don't come close to the fidelity of DVD-Audio in my experience. DTS comes closer, but is still lacking relative to DVD-Audio.

3. DennisP

DennisP Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info Keith. Yes the DVD Audio disc has DTS listed on the case..which is what drew me to it in the first place. Maybe in the future when some manufacturer releases a DVD player that plays DVD, Audio SACD, CD, MP3 and is a progressive scan with 3:2 pull down for under $500...I'll take the plunge. Otherwise finances will keep me from dong anything in the immediate future.

I have Roy Orbison's "Black and White Night" and Paul Simon's "You're the One"..both DTS concert DVD's and love the sound...I find very few DVD concert disc's that appeal to my tastes in music....I'm a 60's type Rock and Roller and a Blues fan....so I don't see a lot for sale that appeals to me. And DTS is a must for me also....lol.

I see Eric Clapon has a "Live in Hyde Park"..DTS DVD out there now. Maybe someone can tell me what they think of that Disc's sonic attributes.