Man of the Year - quick review

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
In "Man of the Year", Robin Williams stars as Tom Dobbs, a comedian much in the vein of Jon Stewart, Bill Maher, etc., who somehow becomes a presidential candidate and wins the election.

While the concept seems implausible, the start gives an almost plausible way for it to happen. Tom Dobbs is quick-witted and funny and is passionate about the political issues of today. The first act is entertaining enough.

But then the middle section of the film is where the film just sags under its improbable concept, and it bogs down quite a bit, and Dobbs acts in ways that just shouldn't even happen for a president-elect (mainly a series of encounters with the Laura Linney character, who works for the firm who produced the touchscreen voting system used in the election), and it almost derails the films.

The final act is somewhat necessary, but it's also predictable, and doesn't quite overcome its middle act, and limps to a finish.

I did like Christopher Walker in the role as Dobbs' manager.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Patrick you continue to amaze with your ability to seemingly catch every new movie that is released plus maintain a robust TV viewing schedule.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Rented this one tonight. Big Robin Williams fan. But....most of the critics are kind of right about this one. Man of the Year can't seem to figure out what it wants to be. When it's at it's best, it's being a smart comedic, political satire. Good stuff on that level.

Then it gets bogged down with trying to be a thriller etc...cover ups...self importance. Not bad....but really could've been alot better.

Some of the stuff from Robin Williams is rather funny.

Agree with Patrick too on Walken. He was rather good here.

Overall, a 7/10.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I only caught this on a plane, so not the best viewing scenario but I don't think that would change my opinion of it. First 3rd was very promising, but as soon as they brought in the voting machine the movie took a 90 degree turn into suckville.

They really should have just gone through with the idea that a popular comedian was elected president, and now that he is in the oval office, what will he do next? Tons of potential there plus nailing every single problem that seems to stem from our elected officials. They could have ran with a satire on that. There was absolutely no reason for the voting machine tangent, then the 'thriller' aspect of hunting down the programmer. I mean wtf?

ErichH

Screenwriter
Moon Over Parador or Dave work. This doesn't.

Not letting Robin Williams go nuts in this type of story was a huge mistake. The political BS was half an effort at best, especially considering the Director's history.

E

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
riddhesh