man my blood pressure is sky high

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Philip_G, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I tried one of those automated machine things at walmart, and the lower of the two pressures was like 110 [​IMG]

anyone know how accurate these things are?

2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

when I say lower I mean the one that should be ~85

3. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

First of all, the machine may need to be calibrated. I don't know about Walmart, but the druggist at my local Target said theirs were calibrated periodically. So, you might want to try a different machine.

Second, blood pressure changes all the time. Don't depend on one reading. Waiting just a few minutes can make a significant difference. I'd take it two or three times with a wait in between.

If you are now confident you have a correct reading and the lower number is still 110 or higher, well, nice knowing you! [​IMG] (kidding - see a doctor if you are concerned).

4. andrew markworthy

Blood pressure is notoriously difficult to take. Get it rechecked and if it's still high, then see a doctor. It's possible that you may be prone to BP misreadings (I know I am). However, even if your BP is high, there are plenty of things that can be done about it, so whatever you do, don't panic! My father has had high BP (under control by drugs) all his life, and he's now nearly 80, and barring a touch of arthritis, just fine.

5. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

Those things are made for a 13 inch max arm. I took mine several times and it read high before I read the instructions. I workout and have a larger arm and that was screwing up the reading.

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Yeah, my big guns probably got in the way [​IMG]

I'll get one of the nurses at work to check it this week. Part of my problem is that I HATE to get it checked, I hate the restriction on my arm, and I think that elevates it a bit.

7. andrew markworthy

This is a very normal reaction. Why not tell this to the nurse and get them to do it a couple of times so you can habituate to the sensation?

8. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

I thought that being nervous raised your pulse but not really the lower number of the B.P. ?

9. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I have no idea. My pulse was in the 80's where this pressure should have been. That it just off the chart high, too high to be accurate I think, especially at 27 [​IMG]

10. Bob_james

Bob_james Extra

I was told that if you take garlic pills daily it can help bring your blood pressure down.

11. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

My parents use a blood pressure monitor at home, and I used it once in a while. The instructions tell you to rest for 5 or 15 minutes (can't remember, it was one of the two) before taking a measurement. If you were huffing and puffing just one minute before, you didn't get an accurate measurement.

12. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Definitely have your pressure done properly before you freak out over it.

Smoking,nervousness,stress,etc can send it way up.

My blood pressure was VERY high for a very stressful 2 years of my life. One day when giving blood at work, they took my pressure to be 160/116 - the nurse refused to take my blood that day and stressed the importance of me seeing a doctor.

I refuse to take blood pressure medication but my getting rid of the people who were causing me stress,quiting smoking and with exercise,I was able to bring it back down to normal.

13. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

As a hypertension sufferer, you will need about a week's worth of properly done pressure readings before a diagnosis of high blood pressure is made. Even with my drugs, my pressure is high when I visit the doctor. "White Lab Coat Syndrome" they like to call it.

When getting your blood pressure taken, make sure you have rested for about 10 minutes before. Also, ensure that the cuff is the right size. Most automated machines I've encountered at doctor's offices have three sizes. While a properly calibrated machine is accurate, a manual machine in the hands of a good operator can be more accurate.

The Wal-Mart machine may have been off but its good to get it checked out.

14. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I'll just get the nurses at work to check it randomly. They should have all the BP cuff sizes they need. I don't think they'll mind. Hope not anyway.

It doesn't really run in the family, but I suppose you never know.

15. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

If that Viszla has you so worked up it's affecting your blood pressure something must be done!! [​IMG]

16. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

that worthless mutt [​IMG]

won't fetch, won't swim, won't do shit but piss me off.

17. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Maybe she's doggie-autistic or, worse yet, thinks she's a cat?

18. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I don't know. But she sure likes to pee on my floor [​IMG]