What's new

Man in The High Castle Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched the penultimate episode this afternoon, and I have to say I have been shocked at the death toll this season, especially with characters I assumed would be around for the entire run of the series. Just wow!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I watched the penultimate episode this afternoon, and I have to say I have been shocked at the death toll this season, especially with characters I assumed would be around for the entire run of the series. Just wow!
There is one death, in particular, that I had been waiting three seasons for. And the scene itself plays out almost exactly as it did in the book, even though the surrounding circumstances are different.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Am I completely lost if I watch the third season without the first two? I got a screener from Amazon for this season, but haven't seen the first two and don't have Prime.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I finished it today, and naturally I'm ready for season four NOW! To think we'll have to wait a year to get the next installments in this riveting saga!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I just saw episode 7 last night, and it sure seems like something momentous happens in every episode, but it doesn't seem forced, like in so many prime time dramas.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Holy smokes, I finished season 3 last night. What a terrific season, from start to finish. They've certainly left a world of possibilities for the next season, and I love how just a few words ("...can only travel to those worlds where your counterpart is dead...") from Abe explains so much of what we have seen already.

And, intentional or not, the German quantum tunnel (or whatever it was called) looked a whole lot like Irwin Allen's Time Tunnel!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Holy smokes, I finished season 3 last night. What a terrific season, from start to finish. They've certainly left a world of possibilities for the next season, and I love how just a few words ("...can only travel to those worlds where your counterpart is dead...") from Abe explains so much of what we have seen already.

And, intentional or not, the German quantum tunnel (or whatever it was called) looked a whole lot like Irwin Allen's Time Tunnel!
I agree with everything you wrote. Great season. Great explanation. And obvious Time Tunnel homage.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Just finished episode eight.

Do not mess with Trade Minister Tagomi! So much for the lebensborn super soldier.

Also in episode nine.

Do not mess with Mark Sampson! :)

Last edited:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I finished the last episode. I was not expecting
Himmler getting sniped, but it could not have been better timing as I really just wanted him to shut up. I was also hoping Liberty's torch would collide with the ship, but Himmler getting shot was a nice consolation. :)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
After two strong seasons I felt a noticeable dip in quality this season and it felt very much like things were not working as well. Can’t put my finger on why as there were surprises throughout but it felt at times as if the show was spinning its wheels.

Still the finale will bring me back next season.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I'm finally catching up with season 3. I've just finished episode 6 and I still feel that this show is going strong. Though perhaps they are padding things a little, there are plenty of surprising developments to keep me engrossed. The world building is still phenomenal here. The Greater Nazi Reich and the Japanese Pacific States are so fleshed out that they seem like real places.

I really love the way historical figures like George Lincoln Rockwell and J Edgar Hoover are being woven into the story in believable (and IMO deserving) ways.

Last edited:

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Finished S3E10..

I kind of feel like it was a bit of a letdown to ...

have Himmler's status be in limbo ending the season. I get the feeling that the writers didn't want to box themselves in for season 4 but I think it would have made for a more powerful finale to know for sure he was dead, and that we would be in for a Reich leadership power struggle. Really hope he's going to be gone.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
They already did the leadership struggle thing when Hitler died. I think it'd be more interesting if Himmler is in a Woodrow Wilson situation, where he's incapacitated but not dead.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
They already did the leadership struggle thing when Hitler died. I think it'd be more interesting if Himmler is in a Woodrow Wilson situation, where he's incapacitated but not dead.

True, seems like a long time ago, but that was just the end of season 2.

I guess one issue now is that there is no obvious successor (Goebbels maybe? - would be interesting for the Nicole Dormer character, as well as John Smith not being protected by the guy who promoted him, an potentially having his secrets exposed).

So how many significant alternate worlds are there so far?
- Show world (which, sadly, was the only one we saw on screen other than in the films or "memories" this season)
- Joe shoots Julianna in the mine world. (An "Axis wins" universe since the mine is still a Nazi experiment)
- Trudy world where she lost Julianna (Allies win?)
- Julianna is Tagomi's daughter-in-law world (Allies win, our reality)?

The films John watches with Thomas could be from any of the Allies win universes.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm most interested in whether John is further hardened into the Nazi regime or if now he is willing to push back against the regime with his wife running away from him?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm most interested in whether John is further hardened into the Nazi regime or if now he is willing to push back against the regime with his wife running away from him?
John Smith is the most compelling anti-hero on television right now. He's a monster who sold out his country and has done (and continues to do) horrible things. But he hates all of it, and Rufus Sewell makes you feel everything he's feeling.

To understand how remarkable Sewell is, watch him as an alcoholic painter on the most recent season of "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel". You could not ask for two more completely different performances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks