What's new

Man In the High Castle (Amazon) (1 Viewer)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Finished season 2 this last weekend. Enjoyed all of the episodes. Looking forward to season 3 to answer some of the lingering questions I have.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched the first episode of season two tonight. I will not binge this show. I prefer to stretch its season out over a couple of weeks (meaning I won't watch one every day). It gives me time to digest what I've just watched.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I finished watching the second season tonight; my Prime trial ends this week so I was under the gun to finish before it was time to cancel.

Given the troubled circumstances of the production this season, they did an admirable job completing it. Without a showrunner, each facet of the show basically had to continue autonomously, and they collectively stayed true to the vision of the show.

There are differences between the first half of the season that Spotnitz was involved in and the second half in which he wasn't. The first half is very much of a piece with the first season: deliberately paced, carefully focused on subtle nuances of behavior, with painstaking care taken in the world building. The second half strikes a different balance: It is far more aggressively paced, with each episode moving faster than the last. It feels more "TV", with characters making big moves and big speeches. You feel the hand of the writers more than you did previously. The worldbuilding shows the occasional crack: the first time we saw "American Reich" as this universe's version of Dragnet, it was a nice bit of local color. But when every non-news broadcast is "American Reich" it makes the world feel smaller and more two-dimensional instead of vast and real. On the other hand, it has a brilliant climax that was expertly set up and expertly executed. When the characters make their big plays, each act feels entirely in keeping with their characters. As an audience member, I cared deeply what happened even though both empires are morally rotten to their cores. There is something captivating about seeing people who have done horrible things strive toward their better natures. The core idea at the heart of the finale:
That small acts of kindness in a brutal and unkind world can make all the difference
...felt timely and well-grounded in the story. Too many shows are content to dwell in the darkness. This show is always purposeful with its darkness, never gratuitous.

There are a number of dangling threads that could be picked up upon in a third season. But if this turns out to be it, it was a satisfying conclusion.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I watched the first episode of Season Two and am looking forward to slow digestion :). The methodical pacing (and story complexity) seems to discourage binging, which is fine by me since I get myself into a sleep deprivation cycle when I start shows like Netflix's Marvel series.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
wife and I finished season 2, good season, lots going on, agree with the American Rich tv program, could have just came out with something else to make it seem a larger world

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
There were a few things that I wish would change, but I found the second half of the season less plodding and offered some character growth I had been waiting for in the series.

I think these two seasons together are fantastic writing and execution, but I found the entire concept of the alternate universe/San Francisco construct to be incredibly well done, everything about that was well done for me.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Renewed for Season 3, according to the show's official Facebook page.
With Eric Overmyer (Treme, Bosch, The Affair) as showrunner, according to the Amazon press release. I'm heartened by this news; all of his past work is well-regarded, and his sensibilities seem like a good fit for the material. I'm especially glad that they're not continuing with the decisionmaking by committee method they used to finish the back half of season two. It turned out much better than I'd have expected, but still not a good long term strategy.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I'm through the first 6 episodes of season 2. I'm really enjoying this season so far, especially Tagomi's storyline.

The world building is top notch, with the overuse of the American Reich TV show being a possible exception.

I like the detail that in some ways the Reich is actually more technologically advanced than our own world at this time period, for instance the commonplace Nazi SST air travel. I'm curious about their space program, I don't believe it has been mentioned but I have to think Werner Von Braun of their world would have pushed for it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
One problem with streaming shows is that it kills discussion of them, as most people are not at the same point in the show to talk about it without spoiling it for others.

That said, I finished episode 6 of season 2 last night, and we're so deeply in to the events of this season, I can't see how it gets resolved in just four more episodes.

The show's outstanding. I was surprised to see it hadn't gotten any Golden Globe nominations the other night. Maybe Emmy will notice in the fall.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I binge-watched Season 2 right after it was released. I really enjoyed the 2nd season. The world developed is quite deep and interesting.

No spoilers, but if anyone is holding off on reading the book because of spoilers -- don't. The series and book bare little resemblance to each other at this point, other than the basic concept. The novel is worth a read, and the Kindle version is free for Amazon Prime members.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
So I just finished season 1. The finale threw me for a loop but I should have know better seeing as it was based on a Philip K Dick book. I liked it, but I guess there will be some sci-fi elements in there. Would be cool to see a straight realistic - what if the allies lost period piece fiction. I will post again after I watch season 2. I could be off base...

Oh and I agree that shows that put their full season out to stream really do kill the discussion both online and in RL. "Oh, you're only on ep. 4? I guess we'll talk when you're caught up." One of the ways even entertainment tech isolates us from each other. They could do it like Grand Tour and put out one episode a week.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
So I just finished season 1. The finale threw me for a loop but I should have know better seeing as it was based on a Philip K Dick book. I liked it, but I guess there will be some sci-fi elements in there. Would be cool to see a straight realistic - what if the allies lost period piece fiction. I will post again after I watch season 2. I could be off base...

There is an excellent book by Philip Roth called "The Plot Against America" that deals with a very similar scenario, minus the science fiction. Interestingly, the main event that changes history is that FDR is defeated in his first re-election bid - which is much like Philip K. Dick's story in which the 1933 assassination of FDR is successful. MITHC really shows the effect of individuals on history, both famous and not.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I finished season 2 last night. It was excellent.

One question:
Why would the Man in the High Castle send Juliana off, knowing the Resistance would repeatedly try to kill her? Is it because he knew she'd make it out alive?

I look forward to season 3. The show has a great cast and a remarkable group of characters.

By the way,
Is Frank dead? We did not see his body in the wreckage, and they did make a point of showing us other characters, like Kido's assistant.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I've been working my way slowly through season two. I'm ready to start episode 7, and it's certainly held my interest from beginning to now. Always curious where it's going, and I haven't been let down yet.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I finished season 2 last night. It was excellent.

One question:
Why would the Man in the High Castle send Juliana off, knowing the Resistance would repeatedly try to kill her? Is it because he knew she'd make it out alive?

I look forward to season 3. The show has a great cast and a remarkable group of characters.

By the way,
Is Frank dead? We did not see his body in the wreckage, and they did make a point of showing us other characters, like Kido's assistant.
Whatever the man saw in the films gave him the confidence she would survive. Maybe there was no film that ever showed her dying by the hand of the Resistance and that was enough.

I think Frank is alive, somehow.

Although the finale moved quickly, I liked it. I had just started wondering about Juliana's aikido training coming into play, so seeing her protect herself was a long time coming.

Who wasn't moved by Juliana's "But I lost everyone!" when she realized her role and importance. It's a lonely existence being the chosen one.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of John Smith's history. I keep wondering how he got to where he's at. Was he a Nazi spy even during the war or did he somehow prove himself loyal to the Reich despite having served in the US Army? It's hard to fathom either way.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Season 3 sneak peak:
'

Interesting that they're finally exploring the more sci-fi elements of Dick's novel. The multiverse played a bigger role on paper than it has onscreen, so far.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
ok , i'm in, even without the trailer, i was vested in this world, to see how they draw this "Cold War" out

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks