What's new

Man in Amsterdam takes hostages to protest against quality of widescreen TV's (1 Viewer)

Danny R

Supporting Actor
He might not be a joe 6-pack, but actually one who prefers 4:3 sets with vertical squeeze. ;)

AllenD

Second Unit
WOW! I didn't think it was possible but he takes his 4x3 TV more seriously than HiDef owner do their sets. :)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Might be too late for the guy cause the AP is reporting that the siege is over. He aparently either shot himself or the police shot him. Supposedly an ambulance was/is on it's way and he's being brought to the hospital or looked at by the proper people...

Now that's dedication to a cause!

Jay

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Tomorrow's headlines:

The gunman seized the office building more than eight hours earlier in a bizarre protest against the quality of Comcast Digital Cable , which he complained failed to live up to its advertised promises.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You'd think Cees Alons would have been enlisted as a hostage negotiator, and calmly talked the man down by discussing OAR and the need for 16:9 displays.

Just when you think you've read everything. ...

Chris Lock

Second Unit
> He aparently either shot himself or the police shot him.
Ironically he was shot far to the side, so those viewing in pan & scan couldn't see the bullet. :D

Ike

Screenwriter
They ought to make his coffin completely square, and cut him down to fit. A disclaimer could be set up at the entrance of the funeral home:

This body has been modified from it's original aspect ratio

It has been formatted to fit this coffin

KyleS

Screenwriter
Although there are crazy people like this out there and it is not a laughing matter (I feel for the people involved. BUT Damn you guys are funny. :laugh:
KyleS

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The man started a letter campaign more than six months ago. He sort of overtook a building where he believed Philips had their headquarters, but he didn't know they moved to their own new building (adjacent) more than a month ago. He even displayed a big "Phil-Lies" text on a window.
To him all those widescreen broadcasts where tricks to force us to buy widescreen televisions by showing the dreaded black bars on your screens. He said the salesmen were liars, because they sell widescreen televisions while there is no use for it. In fact here he has (had) a (slightly different) point: less than 20% of all current shows, including all on cable-channels are widescreen, while almost all of the TV-sets you can buy are 16x8.
No, to my surprise they didn't approach me for negotiations ;).
He has been shot - behold the fate of fanatic 4:3 advocates in this country.
Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Hmmm. We should indeed tone down the jokes a bit. Apparently this confused man took his own life. He went to a toilet and put two bullets in his head.

He is indeed dead.

He harmed no-one.

Cees

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
My goodness. Clearly, something more than a desire for 4:3 displays was driving this man. He was sick.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
The linked story now says "the man shot himself twice in the head". How do you fire the second shot if you have already taken a bullet in the head?

Kevin_Graham

Stunt Coordinator
Aside from the tragedy of this man taking his life, this may be the funniest thread I've read on HTF! :laugh:
Thanks guys!

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I think he had an M-16, he might have set it on auto-fire and just held down the trigger long enough for two bullets to go off.

Sad story, really.

/Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks