What's new

Man, I'm a sucker for time travel... (1 Viewer)

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
This is pretty interesting, and I'm sure I'm late to the party here, but this site is in regards to a guy who posted on the net from Nov. 2000 to March 2001.

He called himself John Titor, and claimed to be a time traveler from the year 2036. The guy really put alot of effort into this gimmick. Unless he was really who he said he was.
The geek in me would love to believe it!!
:D

At the very least, it's an interesting read.

http://www.johntitor.com/

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

If our actions in "our worldline" have no bearing on yours, why not make more specific predictions, since there was apparently no need to fear the altering of Titor's timeline?

And a "resistance" to what exactly?

----------------

It's a good read, and possibly the basis for a decent novel, but I'm calling BS. "John Titor" seems to have a strong political agenda to push, more than anything else.

But just in case, I'm moving to Canada. They seem to still be ok in the future :D

EDIT: He says Canadians are some of the most ruthless people in the world in 2036, and "God help Quebec" :laugh:

And South America went "relatively unharmed". Guess I should stay put after all :p)

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
The Civil War thing is one of the main things that ruins it for me.

I would think there would be MANY years of civil unrest, before an actual Civil War would ignite.

And the last time I lined my SUV up next to the other ones at Starbucks, nobody in there was discussing a revolt.
:D

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I can't believe no one asked him about the future applications of Silica!

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Now see, that's just bad investigative reporting. I'm reading through this now, but how could something as monumental as Silica not even merit a mention?

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
It's the secret component in his time machine, of course. That, and salsa. We hold the keys to the future, fellas. Let's travel to 2036 and make a killing selling silica to those poor post-apocalyptic bastards :D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Maybe it was the Silica that lead to half the worlds destruction in 2010 (or whatever date he said it was)?

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I also note he never drops even the slightest hint of the two major events that have happened between his so-called visit & today - 9/11 & the war in Iraq.

Oh well, since he's pretty specific that the shit starts hitting the fan in 2004, we've only got 10 months before this BS is tossed into the dustbin along with Nostradamus and the rest of history's hoaxes.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
It is clear to me that the civil war started because the silica faction of society and the powerdry faction of society just could not get along in the same country. Sure, those aren't large factions, but once the fight started...you've got guys joining in just because they love a good fight, and then you've got people joining in because they don't want to be left out, plus some people that aren't angry over the silica/powerdry discussion but are just angry, and next thing you know the whole damn country is fighting.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Cmon,

This civil war between the pro-OARites and the Pan & Scanners has been brewing for years. In 2005, it finally breaks out into a 10 year bloody conflict. What's so hard to believe about that? :)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Story checks out. His full name is John Titor Connor. I wonder why he didn't mention the terminators. Perhaps he didn't care to delay the inevitable. Judgment Day is coming, and there's nothing we can do to stop it.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Why didn't he say anything about Janet Jackson at the Superbowl?

I had a point to asking this question but I forgot it, but I still want to know just in case I remember, but how old is this guy supposed to be in 2036, you know the time he traveled here from? I guess I wonder if while he traveled back if he got to see himself as a kid or not...I just need to know these things.

Oh man, an OAR civil war, all of the Wal*Marts in the U.S. are the battlefields, and with soccer moms involved it could get ugly...Canada is looking better all the time.

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
He's 38 in 2036. He says he's met himself as a child, and that it has no effect on the future, as suggested in time travel theories.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Well, has he gone in to the future? See, it might not have an effect on him in 2036 or whatever, but what if the effect of him meeting himself as a child came in say 2048?

I couldn't even dream of a scenario that would cause a problem in 2048 but not 2036 but I guess I'll just have to start reading this closer.

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
Well, he says that time travel works like this.

For instance he originally returned to 1975, then went to 2000.

Now to return to the 2036 that he came from, he would have to travel back from 2000 to 1975 right before he got there the first time, and then back to 2036.

Now this is an interesting idea, but he still interupts the timeline regardless. Just because he returns to 75 at an earlier date for his trip back home, what does that have to do with his then pending initial arrival in 75 at a later time during his trip to 2000?
How would going to an earlier point on his way back to his time negate his trip to our past that he made first?

There's alot there that doesn't jive with me.
He constantly says that he "isn't interested in people believe him", whenever he is challenged to provide one tangible piece of evidence, but yet he spent 5 months spreading his message on the internet.

Believers write off his non mention/or hint of 9/11 as him not being impressed by that event after a global holocaust, but yet he does refer to Pearl Harbor a few times over his posts.
Surely if he could still recognize Pearl Harbor to be a MAJOR turning point in the history of America, he could of at least mentioned that another one was on the horizon.

As I said earlier, the geek in me would love to believe in time travelers and such, but this is clearly crap.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I read with interest his "predictions" -- it made for an interesting story. However, there really were no actual predictions. But when I switched to the more linear postings I quickly tired of the thinly veiled rant against modern life's problems.

An interesting hoax moderately executed, but I doubt it really caught a lot of attention. I think it's too weak to really capture believers.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Oh, and there's a book about his "predictions" for sale at amazon.com supposedly written by his mother in 2000. Good thing they didn't want to risk altering our "worldline" or anything.

So let's go from "interesting hoax" to "money-making scheme", and we'll probably be closer to the truth.

What weirds me out the most about this whole thing is the amount of people who seem to believe this guy, both on Amazon's reviews section, and on the time travel message boards I visited while researching this thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks