Man I hate it when dealers lie!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Braddock, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Jeff Braddock

Jeff Braddock Second Unit

I was in Illinois recently near where I grew up. Well, I happened upon an a/v shop. I got to talking to one of the owners about an 1803. I had been quoted a good price by another place and he said he could match it. He said he was authorized and all that. Well, I didn't have the money yet and he didn't have any in stock so naturally I didn't buy one.
    After I went there, I went to my in-laws place and got on Denon's website to see if he was authorized. I wanted to make sure b/c I was real excited that I could buy it semi-locally. Anyway, they didn't show up in the dealer locator thing and I called the dealer to ask him about it. He told me that that would only show dealers who brought in big amounts and since they were small, he wouldn't show up.
    He said they went through a distributor "AVAD" and that the warranty would be good. I had never heard of "AVAD" and the whole deal seemed really fishy to me so I emailed Denon about it. After about a week I finally got a reply and they are not authorized and the warranty would be void. [​IMG]
    Why can't people tell the truth?! If your not authorized, don't say you are!![​IMG] [​IMG]
    Just had to get that off my chest.

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Simply amazing. If the Denon had proven faulty, you would have been up a creek with no paddle. It reminds me of when extended warranties are pushed. Sometimes, you're told they'll cover this and that, but, when the occasion arises, they'll do what they can to wiggle out of it.

If I were you, I'd register this with the local Better Business Bureau, as well as perhaps making a complaint with whatever state agencies handle this type of situation. There's also a very small outside chance that the dealer truly believes that the Denons are authorized via what its been told by the distributor, but I doubt it. It seems more likely that they'll deny having ever said anything of the sort to you.

Anyway, the good thing is that you ended up not buying from them. There are other receivers in the Denon's price range that might serve you just as well.

3. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

AVAD is the largest distributor of audio/video equipment in the nation. It is entirely possible that he gets Denon from them. If this is the case it is a completely legitimate purchase and Denon will honor the warranty. I am a custom installer and I purchase Denon through distribution.

Denon requires that full dealers make a significant buy and show a broad range of their product line. For a small a/v retailer or custom installer this doesn't work so Denon also sells their product through distribution. I believe the dealer was being completely honest with you and that you got an e-mail from an uninformed employee at Denon. Regards.

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Bill is completely correct. A dealer locally who is an authorized Denon dealer doesn't show up on Denon's site even though I know he is authorized.

5. Jeff Braddock

Jeff Braddock Second Unit

All I know is that Denon said that they weren't and also said that the warranty would be void. Better safe than sorry I guess.

6. Shannon W

Shannon W Stunt Coordinator

Hey Jeff buy it online and save yourself some money.
    [​IMG] That guy seams Kinda Shady anyway. Like I told you I tryed to buy a Onkyo 989 from the guy and he did'nt even blink. I think he is a wana-be.... LoL
    Shannon

7. TomH

TomH Second Unit

Once again Denon will do just about anything to avoid warranty responsibility.
    There is absolutly no reason that a customer should be subjected to this nonsense!
    Denon is so vague and arbitrary about what is or is not acceptable that even dealers are confused. However they continue to dump more product to "unauthorized" dealers than any other manufacturer. Best of both worlds unless you are the customer.
    Just say no. There is nothing exceptional about Denon.