Man, I feel so stupid!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allen Longcor, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

Sony SACD player for only $200 when I just bought a regular CD player for $160. Argh! It's not top of the line, but I'm thinking that the SACD player is gonna blow the doors off what I currently have. Live and learn. So can anyone recommend interconnects for under $100 for the new player I am about to buy? That's $100 for all 5 [​IMG]

2. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

You could get Monster Cables new cable specifically made for 5.1 analog output. It has all six interconnects banded together in one piece, and I think it retails for around $80.00.
    You can also search for the IXOS 175AV Verdi Surround Sound interconnect (information can be had at www.ixos.co.uk), which is similiar to the Monster Cable (but better quality), where all six interconnects are sheathed together. This lists for somewhere around $100.
    Other than that you can buy indiviual Monster Cable RCA interconnects like the 100 series or 200 series, where 3 stereo pairs might run you between $60 - 80. Or if you plan on doing that I might search for the less expensive Audioquest Cables where you might be able to get away with spending $90 for 3 stereo pairs.
    Good Luck.

3. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

Radio Shack "Gold Series" is perfectly good for about $30/3 pairs of stereo cables [​IMG] or you could spend twice as much for the same thing with a "high-end" name brand on them [​IMG]

4. Jim Prillaman

Jim Prillaman Stunt Coordinator

I'll toss in the Outlaw Audio PCA's -- 3 pairs of 0.5-meter are $80 plus shipping, 3 pairs of 1.8-meter will cost you more than $100. I'm using PCA's in a lot of my system, and have been very pleased. If you're looking for something more than the RS Gold that Jim recommended above, the PCA's could be a good way to go.

5. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

Ok well I couldn't find the monster cable you were talking about which sounded like it would be more convenient on the wire management front. Now am I correct in thinking that all I need are basic RCA cables? There are so many cables out there that don't say RCA, so I have no idea what is what. Anyways let's assume that higher quality cables do make a difference in the sound. Now what cables would you use in a system that consists of:

Onkyo 595

Eosone RSF400 main speakers

Polk CS400i center channel

Energy eXL15 surround speakers

Now I plan on upgrading some stuff by the end of this year. So I would like to keep these cables even if I upgrade the SACD player. Would I be better served to buy the Outlaw cables so I could use them in a future setup? Also, is the sixth cable for the subwoofer, or bass? Or will I just have one left over. Answers to any of these questions is appreciated.

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'm with Jim on the Radio Shack gold cables. They work great for DVD-A in my system. Also, you can get a tape deck set which is 4 all packed together and a single stereo pair, this makes things very clean.

7. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

8. Alan Wild

Alan Wild Stunt Coordinator

I'm using the IXOS cable mentioned above and it seams to work okay. The only problem is that the wires after they break apart aren't long enough to reach from one end of the Outlaw ICBM to the other. So I'm only using 5 of the wires in the 175AV and I use a individual RCA's for the sixth channel.
    If you aren't using the Outlaw though it's a great cable. I bought mine from Accessories4Less. They aren't aparantly on clearance right now. You can pick one up for $59.99 with free shipping.
    http://www.ac4l.com/advscripts/detai...0&sPrice=59.99
    -Alan

9. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

10. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

My bad, I didn't notice the length. I use the 1 meter myself.