Man...I can't believe how loud (fan) & hot my new 360 runs!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by John Pine, Apr 26, 2006.

1. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    Just got it last week, and at first, I thought there was something wrong with it. This thing throws out more hot air then a hot air popcorn popper. Seriously, it equals the hot air volume of my PC server case which has 550watt p/s and two 120mm fans. But, it works perfectly so far.

Anybody have theirs' overheat yet?

2. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

Mine hasn't overheated, nor do I perceive it running as overly hot. However, it is very loud!

3. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

mine's never overheated after hours of Oblivion. my disc spins loud too.

4. Shawn.F

Shawn.F Supporting Actor

Forutnately (knocks wood), no overheating on my 360 either.

5. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

The IGN 360 site had an article a week or so ago quoting Microsoft folk talking about a likely forthcoming hardware upgrade, just as the Playstation 2 was eventually released in a smaller version, the 360 was on track to have its processor replaced with a cooler running chip. It's not expected to be out until the 1st quarter of 2007 though. I plan to get all the 3 main consoles eventually but with the 360 I might just wait until that rejig next year, as it seems it'll run quieter, cooler and likely be cheaper to boot.

6. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

I finally got mine. It didn't seem excessively loud or hot. I have the brick in the wide open and while warm I couldn't cook an egg on it or anything. And the drive does make some sound but no more than my computer's. I can't remember, was the original quieter? Hard to tell. It doesn't access the drive that often when I have been playing Oblivion (and, btw, holy crap is that a great game). Hmmm.

Is it because it is a newer batch?

7. Joe D

Joe D Supporting Actor

IGN has a review up on an aftermarket fan device that cools off the unit much better, of course, more fans = louder.

8. AlyssaAnders

AlyssaAnders Extra

We are having the same problem with ours, at first we thought it our son and too many hours of play time but it really doesn't seem to take much time at all for it to get hot. And its definitely louder than I anticipated... but I still wouldn't trade it [​IMG]