What's new

MAN FROM ATLANTIS docked at The Warner Archive (1 Viewer)

MattHR

Screenwriter
smithb said:
Checked my disk last night and no pause at the 1:52 point of the second movie.
Brad, thanks for checking your copy. Glad to hear it's OK and just a glitch on my copy. It sure seems like a layer change, since the timer pauses briefly at 01:52, then resumes after a beat. I'll call WB on Monday to get a replacement. I've had to exchange only two WBA discs (out of over 30) for replacment (one was blank and the other arrived damaged due to handling in the mail). Both times WBA sent replacements without requiring me to return the bad ones.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
MattHR said:
. On the second movie, at the 1:52 point at the beginning, there was a slight freeze during playback. It appears to be the layer change point, but it stalled for a bit longer than normal. It would seem odd to have the layer change at that point, since the disc only contains two 90-minute movies that should each be on its own layer. Maybe someone else can check to see if that brief pause is at the same point on their copy.
Checked mine this evening, indeed the picture does freeze at the 1:52 point on my disc.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Scott511 said:
Checked mine this evening, indeed the picture does freeze at the 1:52 point on my disc.
So it could be a layer change and my player is just handling it a bit better. Like i said before, I haven't visibly seen a layer change with this particulat player since getting it back in 2004 (Denon 2900). I'll try again on one of my other players.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Forgot to check for the layer change lag when I watched one of the discs tonight- but I'm sure the differences are down to simply how each model player handles layer changes. Enjoyed the pilot movie, and the first ep of the series was just as fun. Glad I bit on the two sets, as I'm looking forward to making these eps a ritual for a few weeks. Kudos to Warner for coming across with a further upgrade discount in addition to the deal on both sets. I was ready to bite at $50, but $10 less is even better. Also- love the more professional, less templated looking packaging, menus and disc art. Looks to be a great release all around.

MattHR

Screenwriter
smithb said:
So it could be a layer change and my player is just handling it a bit better. Like i said before, I haven't visibly seen a layer change with this particulat player since getting it back in 2004 (Denon 2900). I'll try again on one of my other players.
After noticing that apparent layer change on one DVD player, I checked it on another and two Blu-ray players. It "hiccuped" at the same 01:52 point on the other three. I then checked it my PC's DVD drive and separate Blu-ray drive, too. It played seamlessly in both PC drives. There is a music cue that plays at that 01:52 point, so even the slightest pause on the PC drives would have been detectable. Still not sure if it's a layer-change or some minor glitch in the disc that only the standard players are sensitive to. I've never come across this before. It's not really that a big deal, so I probably won't bother WBA about it.

Tom M

Stunt Coordinator
Watched the pilot and the second movie so far. The remastering on the pilot was amazing! Much better than the stand alone release (which was from an old VHS master). Minor nitpick on the first movie: The logo for Solow Productions was removed from the end credits. Not a big deal but one has to wonder why. The second movie's mastering was equally impressive. I had no pause at the time mark mentioned. I do not think it's a layer change. More likely a glitch. It happens. So good to see this show again. While I've had a copy of the first movie since the early 1990's (first on VHS then on the WA DVD), starting with the second movie I haven't seen these since they originally aired! I'm really over the moon for this release as I thought I'd never see one of my favorite childhood series again! Onto movie 3 tonight! :)

MattHR

Screenwriter
So far, I've watched all four pilot movies and the first three episodes of the series. I continue to be very impressed with the quality of the transfers. However, the quality transfer didn't do anything to help my enjoyment of the third movie, "The Killer Spores". It has to be the worst two hours of television I've ever seen. It features the lamest writing, acting and direction (and I tend to expect that from many genre efforts of the era). Unfortunately, it doesn't qualify as "so-bad-it's-good"—it's just plain bad. Patrick Duffy's titular character is intentionally "wooden" and one-dimensional (at least in the early entries), but it's Kenneth Tigar's acting and character (Dr. Miller Simon) that really annoyed me. Luckily, he only appears in the last three movies, and is (pleasantly) absent from the series. Victor Buono, on the other hand, is a gas as recurring villain "Mr. Schubert". His Schubert is a flamboyantly over-the-top villain associated with the James Bond movies and the '60s Batman series (in which Buono appeared as equally-flamboyant "King Tut").

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks