Man For All Seasons Special Edition - 2/20/07

DouglasBr

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone heard any details regarding the Man For All Seasons SE that Bill Hunt mentioned on the Bits yesterday?

It looks like Amazon has it for preorder for $9.99 (srp of $14.94), but no release details. This is one of my all-time favorites (as is Paul Scofield), so I wouldn't mind a double-dip if it meant a genuine upgrade over the previous release.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Mine is a flipper with anamorphic widescreen on one side and foolscreen on the other. It does include the trailer.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I only saw this for the first time over the summer. For some reason, I was under the presumption that it was a bland and stagey costume drama.

After watching it, I was totally stunned by the excellence of this film. It's practically flawless... everything from performances, to dialogue, to the technical side. The DVD I own actually has only the 16x9 version, with a few trailers. I felt that the a/v was fantastic (especially since the liner notes have details on the restoration by the UCLA Film & Television Archive), but it wouldn't hurt to have commentaries or other archival materials. Any edition is worth owning if just for the great film.

DouglasBr

Stunt Coordinator
My feelings exactly, Patrick.

While I have the original flipper (which I assume has the same 16x9 transfer as yours) and it is really good to have the movie, I've always felt I'd like it to get the extra special treatment (heck, you've got Zinnemann, Bolt, Scofield -- not to mention all the other great actors/actresses -- lots worth fussing over imho).

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I took a look at my disc last night. For such an old DVD, I thought it looked quite decent, with almost none of the artifacting I'd expect on a disc I bought circa 1998. I was playing on an upconverting player, though.

You're right about it not being as stagey as it might have been. Fred Zinneman did a great job of making the play cinematic, with some great photography. George Delerue's score was a great addition as well.

I'd also like to see Anne of the Thousand Days on anamorphic DVD. It tells much of the same story as A Man For All Seasons, is also based on a play, and features some great acting by Richard Burton as Henry VIII and Genevieve Bujold as Anne Bolyn. Thomas More even makes a cameo appearance, and his execution is depicted.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Billman