Man drives with decapitated friend.......ugg..

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Kevin M, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

HERE IS THE STORY some of you may have heard about this.....how the hell do you not notice that your friend's head is missing especially if you had enough sobriety after the accident to drive several more miles home, making many turns, are still able to park the car and go to bed....oh, and are covered from head to toe with his blood?

Bizarre.

2. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

We're doomed as a race.

3. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

That's a type of incident that sobers someone up enough to know what's going on. It's amazing that he never looked over, didn't notice the blood, or didn't notice his friend not making sound or talking.

4. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Maybe he thought his friend was puking (why else would he have his head out the window?) and assumed the warm wet stuff he got hit with was vomit, and his silent friend merely passed out. Unless the driver got out, walked around the car and saw the bloody stump he could easily have been unaware that his friend's head was missing. (The description from the guy who discovered the body - well, the bulk of it - makes it sound like the upper part of it was hanging out the truck window - which means the driver would have needed x-ray vision to see the area around the head.)

Not offering excuses, just a possible explanation for how someone drunk enough could have missed what happened and staggered to bed complete unaware of the horror that had been sitting right next to him. All I can say from my dim and scattered memories of my own drinking days is that I've had nights where I would not absolutely rule something like this out.

Regards,

Joe

5. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Yes, his friend was leaning his head out the window to vomit but my problem with it is that since, according to other news reports, he was apparently covered with quite a lot of blood I think the body had to have fallen back into the cab of the truck, a decapitated body will absolutely geyser it's true but blood will not flow backwards into a window that much. I suspect his shock was so much that he pushed the body back out of the cab after he was covered and in a fractured state of mind fell asleep...I don't know...hoping it was a bad dream?
    I don't think it was premeditated at all, & I don't know how I would react in the same circumstance, but the facts are rather odd.

On the other hand it very well could have happened the way joseph described.

6. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

It's always interesting to read the hometown newspaper version!

By David Burch and Michelle Graff

Marietta Daily Journal Staff Writers

MARIETTA - The family of the man decapitated in an alleged drunk driving accident with his high school best friend behind the wheel wants to see their son's friend set free.

Francis "Frankie" Brohm, a 23-year-old auto mechanic who lived at home with his parents in east Cobb, was killed at about midnight after leaving a Marietta bar with his best friend from Pope High School, 21-year-old John Hutcherson, on Saturday.

Police say Hutcherson, whom sheriff's office records list as working at Capozzi's restaurant, was drunk when he was drove his friend home from Runaround Sue's after the two had spent the evening watching NASCAR at friends' houses.

On Canton Road near Interstate 75, Hutcherson's vehicle veered off the road, and Brohm, whom police believe was hanging his head out the window because he was sick from drinking too much, got his head cut off by a roadside telephone wire.

Hutcherson then continued the approximately 10 miles to the east Cobb home that he shares with his mother and sister and went to bed, apparently unaware that his friend's head had been severed in the accident, police say.

Hutcherson remains jailed on $100,000 bond charged with first-degree vehicular homicide, driving under the influence and failing to stop at the scene of a fatal accident.

On Tuesday, Brohm's family, through Lawrenceville attorney David Lipscomb, sent a letter to Cobb County District Attorney Pat Head, stating they support Hutcherson's release on bond.

The letter also states that Hutcherson's attorney, Ben Smith Jr. of Marietta, is preparing to file a bond motion in the case.

"They don't want to see him in jail," Lipscomb said. "Their position is he needs to be out to receive whatever treatment is necessary, put his life back together."

He said the Hutcherson family already had visited the Brohm's to exchange sympathies and the general feeling was the incident is a great tragedy for both families.

"I think if the situation had been reversed, we'd have the same situation," Lipscomb said.

The Brohm family left Tuesday for Louisville, Ky., for their son's funeral, scheduled for Friday, he said.

Lipscomb said a local memorial service is planned for Tuesday at St. Ann's Catholic Church in east Cobb.

Reached at her east Cobb home Tuesday, Margaret Hutcherson expressed similar thoughts about the feelings between the two families.

She described her son as a "wonderful boy" and said Brohm's death was like losing a member of her own family.

"It's just a horrific accident, and we are all just in mourning right now," Ms. Hutcherson said. "(Brohm has) been a part of our family just like Johnny was a part of their family - I feel like I've lost a son."

The two had gotten in trouble together before. Cobb County State Court records show that Hutcherson had a previous charge of drunk driving while underage and that Brohm was in the car with him and also was charged with underage drinking.

Police were first alerted to the accident at about 8 a.m. on Sunday, when a man out for a walk with his 1-year-old daughter spotted Brohm's headless body in the passenger seat of Hutcherson's pick-up truck. The truck was parked in the driveway of Hutcherson's east Cobb home.

When police arrived on the scene, they questioned Hutcherson and were able to retrace his steps, finding Brohm's head. Police also said that Hutcherson smelled of alcohol when they entered his bedroom on Sunday morning.

According to Georgia law, one does not need to be found drunk behind the wheel to be charged with DUI. Police can file changes based on circumstantial evidence, such as the case with Hutcherson in which he was found inside his home with his truck in the driveway and evidence, including a broken side mirror, indicated he had driven the vehicle while impaired.

Smith, whom records show represented Hutcherson the first time he was in trouble, confirmed Tuesday he had been in touch with his client but could not go into any detail about the case.

He said Hutcherson had just been released from the jail's infirmary, where he was being treated for depression.

"To be honest with you right now he's devastated," he said. "He's lost his best friend. He's in jail. He's just emotional and suffering."

7. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I imagine it's entirely possible he got covered in blood and the body still be hanging out the window due to blow back from the wind. Depending on how fast he was driving and how quickly the blood was pumping, I imagine quite a bit could have gotten back inside the truck...

Ick. I can't believe I just thought of that incredibly disquieting mental image.

8. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

No, but if you're driving so fast that contact with a guy wire will cut a human head completely off rather than, say, breaking the victim's neck, then you're probably moving fast enough for the gushing blood to blow back inside an open window. Anyway, that's what I assumed in laying out the scenario I proposed above.

Regards,

Joe