What's new

Man, after 20 years, i've got 'E.T.' fever all over again! (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I must say that everytime I see the trailer for the 20th anniversary edition, I find myself grinning from ear to ear just watching the clips from the film...and remembering.
Remembering that it was 20 years ago that my father took me to my first theatrical film, it was 'E.T. The Extra Terrestrial', I had just turned 9 years old.
In order for you to see and understand my newfound excitment, I must express what this film means to me, it means EVERYTHING to me! If their is one film that is part of who I am at almost molecular level, it's this one.
I had the pleasure of seeing it three times during it's initial run, and the experience of that film make up some of my most cherished memories, it's part of me. It made me smile, laugh, and yes, cry(boy did I cry!). I had the toys, the soundtrack album, the t-shirts, the posters you name it! However, sadly in the folly of my youth, I either lost or broken much of what I had and they're long gone now, what a fool I was, but I was too young to see the long term value of those things. Right now, I have only one small E.T. figure left, and the soundtrack on cd.
Now, latly i've been seeing ads for the new version alot in magazines, posters, and of course trailers and t.v. spots, and I find myself growing ever more excited about experiencing 'E.T.' once again! Yes, after 20 years, the most beloved alien being in film history has once again found his way into my mind and heart, and it is quite exhilerating I must say! And when the dvd hits a few months from now, it will be royalty amongst my collection.
I feel like i'm nine years old again and it's great!
E.T. himself has always been absolutly real for me, even now as an adult, knowing what I now know about animitronics and creature effects, I still can't think of E.T. in that manner. He defies all movie rules and his presence in the film, and his behaviour crosses that boundry of just being a creature created in some effects lab, and becomes something totally unique, real. To think of him as a puppet or an animitronic creation is really sad to me and it sorta cheapens his memory. I don't see, or think of him in such an earthly bound, and final way.
Now listen, this thread is intended to give an opprotunity for you to express your love for this wonderful film, I would appreciate it if discussions of the pro's and con's of the added or deleted material in the '20TH' edition, be discussed elsewhere, I have my own opinions about it, and i'm sure that you have yours but, that's not what this thread is intended for.
Lets just reflect on the film itself and the great memories it has given us, thanks.:)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I've always been a huge E.T. fan. It was one of my first incredible theater experiences. The film is just a classic, and such a story filled with humanity. I look forward to seeing it again on the big screen. Once may be my limit, however. But I'm definitely excited.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I don't mean to be the stick in the mud, But I didn't like E.T. that much. Granted, the first time I saw it was all of four years ago. And when your twenty, it just doesn't seem to have the same charm as when you were younger (I must speculate on this). In the same way that I didn't see The Exorcist until I was 18. Just wasn't scary by then.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Now that we've had the inevitable thread fart, back to the purpose as stated by John:
this thread is intended to give an opprotunity for you to express your love for this wonderful film
E.T. is film perfection as far as I'm concerned. Spielberg is at the top of his game here. The film moves along without a hitch. The story has everything - thrills, poignancy, and humor that is not tacked on, but flows from the characters. The performances are note-perfect. The effects & cinematography are superb. And John Williams' score (the best of his storied career, IMO) is the icing on the cake.
It all culminates in the final act of the film, starting with the bicycle chase. Indelible image follows indelible image. Then comes the piece de resistance - the departing E.T. ship's gift of a rainbow accompanied by the unexpected and triumphant fanfare. And then we see the faces - bathed in light, flush with wonder & awe - as the music comes to its thrilling climax. This is absolutely my favorite moment ever in cinema. I get chills just thinking about it.
Looks like I'm older than you guys - I was 24 when E.T. came out in 1982. But age doesn't matter when it comes to this masterpiece - all you need is to be able to find the child inside of you. I saw it 5 times during its original run, and I can't wait to see it on the big screen again.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
E.T. will forever be the film for me that I realized my love for film. I saw it when I was just 6 years old, and perhaps I did not realize all the moving parts as clearly as I do know, but I did realize at the time that the movie was pure magic.

In the 20 years that have followed, I have scrutinized it time and time again to find out what that magic was (or atleast what made it magic to me). Like a five-tool baseball player, I believe this film can do it all as well.

-- The score, god was John Williams on just another level for this film. I have heard Spielberg say it and I am hard pressed to disagree, the last reel of the film John Williams becomes damn near, if not, operatic.

-- The direction, Spielberg didn't miss a beat in this film, I think he took his "A" game to an "A+" game for this film by not missing a beat.

-- The acting: again everytbody brought their "A" game, this film centers on child performances and they have two fantastic performances.

-- The story: compassion, friendship, love and loss... Damn does it nip me everytime... everytime I hear "I'll be right here", I cry like a puppy.

-- Lighting, composition, special effects, intelligence... etc,

Every tool that is needed to convey the power of this story is used and employed properly in this film and it just makes it magical beyond comprehension to me.

E.T. was my epiphahy into the power and magic that the film format has, it is responisble in large part for my love for film today and will forever have that place in my heart.

The 22nd of this month can not arrive quick enough, that feeling in my heart that leeps when a magical film is viewed is longing to be felt again. I can not even describe how I will feel when E.T. and the boys ascend into the air when viewed on an 80 ft. screen, damn I get goose bumps just thinking about it.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Craig, your post made me even MORE excited to relive this film again!
I'm so glad you mentioned the ending too, I tell you this, the theaters back then must have needed flood insurance to show this film!:)

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
It all culminates in the final act of the film, starting with the bicycle chase. Indelible image follows indelible image. Then comes the piece de resistance - the departing E.T. ship's gift of a rainbow accompanied by the unexpected and triumphant fanfare. And then we see the faces - bathed in light, flush with wonder & awe - as the music comes to its thrilling climax. This is absolutely my favorite moment ever in cinema. I get chills just thinking about it.
I rambled and rambled, but this is an excellent summary of that feeling I have screening after screening, pure magic.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I was 27 when it first came out. I saw it on a sneak preview, so I was completely uninfluenced by any other opinions of it when I saw it. That night was magic. Speilberg had the audience in the palm of his hand. The final scene did indeed give me chills.

Having said all that, I won't see the theatrical re-release. I learned my lesson with Lucas.

It won't be the same film.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
I saw E.T. when I was younger, but don't really remember too much of it. I do remember I kind of thought it was boring, but now that I'm a mature film viewer whose favorite director is Steven Spielberg, I eagerly await the re-release of E.T. on the 22nd! It's a good thing I'm still on Spring Break then, too ;).
-Tom

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
I know, I saw the trailer for it in front of Time Machine and I just had this mile-wide smile on my face the whole time. I cant wait to see this in a theater with children and see them get introduced to this tale that we all grew up on.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I can't wait to see it again! One of my all time favourites and now I get to share it with my nephews.:emoji_thumbsup:

Lin Weiwen

Stunt Coordinator
I have only watched ET on video and oh boy...just can't wait to experience it on the big screen!!

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I have lots of fond memories of this movie as well. It wasn't my first, like John's (Star Wars was), but it was a very special one. The first movie I saw with real sadness in it...I think it was the only movie I cried in when I was younger, but I don't remember crying too much. My grandfather bought it for me when it first hit video several years later.

But what I remember most was watching it as a ninth grader. I hadn't seen it in YEARS (like, since the theater). I was babysitting. I was into movies like your typical 14 year old. Nothing intelligent or emotional, just thrill youtype stuff. I remembering crying harder than when I was in third grade at the end. It certainly is Spielberg at his very best. I don't know if I'll see iton the big screen. No slight to Spielberg, but it wouldn't be the same. I will eagerly purchase the DVD, though.

Take care,

Chuck

RogerB

Second Unit
I love E.T. and can't wait to take my 8 year old son to see it. I'm not one to watch movies multiple times unless I'm seeing it with someone who has never see it. That's what is fun to me - watching someone else experience it for the first time.

I remember reading the movie novelization that came out right before the movie was released. It was an amazing read. I couldn't wait to see it brought to life on the big screen. Even though I already knew the plot I enjoyed the movie a great deal.

Looking forward to March 22....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks