MAME Users

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Szott, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Was wondering what the folks here that use MAME think of it and the quality? I am mulling over getting an X-Arcade joystick(s) and wanted to know if the quality of MAME was good enough to warrant a $150 purchase. Might entertain eventually building a stand-up cabinet, but that's putting the horse in front of the cart for now.

So, what's your experience? Just like the arcade or better/worse? Any other advice for running an emulator?

Thanks,
    Joe

2. EdR

EdR Second Unit

I run MacMAME, and I find that as the versions of the MAME software are released, it often breaks compatibility with some ROMs. I'm not sure if this happens on the PC version, but it's somthing to look at.

Otherwise, I think it's fantastic. I bought a Griffin PowerMate dial control to use with Tempest on MAME, and I coulnd't be happier...nearly flawless stand-in for the original controller.

Of course some games' controllers aren't so easily replicated, for example, the 'yoke' control on Star Wars.

As for that particular controller, I have no idea how it works with MAME, but I'm sure someone here has some info.

3. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

That Powermate is pretty sweet! MAME or no, I might have to pick one of those up for scrolling and document editting.

4. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Joe, Im in the same boat as you. Im going to build my own cabinet in the near future and Im definitely leaning towards the X-Arcade controller. Everything I've read on other forums leads me to believe it's the way to go - unless you want to rig up your own controls with an I-pac switch.

5. EdR

EdR Second Unit

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I use a MAS joystick, the PSX version with a USB adapter to play on the PC. Though it's a nice sturdy stick (bigger and bulkier than the X-Aracde, which is a good thing) I prefer to use gamepads for most MAME games. Easier on the fingers and not as noisy.

Something I'd recommend is getting two seperate single sticks. People who use the 2-player X for fighting games say it's a pain sharing the same stick since you have to sit right next to each other, and you can feel the button presses of the other person throughout gameplay.

The X may feel just like the arcade but the 2-player version's joystick is way too close to the 1-player's buttons. Elbow room is a big annoyance in real arcades, I'd hate to bring it home. Personally, I'm willing to pay an extra $50 to get 2 single sticks.

A good find is the Red Octane Stick as it's only $30. Grab 2 of those and 2 PSX USB adapters and you're set. I'm betting it doesn't have the quality of a MAS or X-Arcade & probably half the size but it's also 1/3 of the price.

Geocities pics (drag n drop into url bar):

http://www.geocities.com/mvcbugs/DSCF0001.JPG
    http://www.geocities.com/mvcbugs/DSCF0002.JPG

Making your own stick

7. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Scott,

Have you used that stick for MAME purposes? How does it hold up compatibility wise?

Thanks fort he links. I will definitely think about the Red Octane, nice price for an arcade stick. My only worries would be the support and compatibility.

8. Dave Sabo

Dave Sabo Stunt Coordinator

If you're going to go the "build a cabinet" route, and you don't mind getting involved with doing your own wiring, I recommend controls from Happ Controls.

9. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Well depends on the game really, but most Roms seem to play really well. Whether you want to spend the $150 or Not, well I'm mulling it myself. I know given the time I could build a Control Panel much cheaper, the problem I don't have the time. I May eventually go this route myself. I really hate playing the games with a keyboard.

10. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Joe- Are you talking about the MAS stick? Yea I use that for MAME. The thing is it comes with this funky circuit board that allows it to be used with several systems (but you have to pay extra to enable this feature). When I used a USB adapter the controls had a 1 second delay which was poop.

I bought a cheap 3rd party PSX controller, ripped it open and soldered its circuit board in place of the MAS one. Works like a charm now with no delay, but not without some work. Keep in mind this is the PSX version and the PC version should have no issues like this. Only thing is it plugs into a PS/2 slot iirc.

11. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Well, if you're looking to just evaluate MAME on its own, I'd give the emulator and some Roms a download and play around with it. I've been using MAME and other emulators for about 5 years now, and MAME 32 is definitely the way to go. Simple to use, and runs most games quite well.

Haven't had any experience with the X sticks myself, but I have been working on building my own for a while now. Can't seem to get them working, but that's another story. It's a little harder than it sounds, let's put it that way.

You'll also need a pretty beefy PC to run a lot of roms well, especially if you're looking to output to a TV.

Cabinet-well, probably someday. For now, I'm sticking with the gamepad...

12. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Scott - I think I'll stick with a ready made solution more for the WAF than anything else. I might be able to explain away a joystick that comes in the mail, but taking over the kitchen table and outside workshop to build one would be a bit too much for her. She is still pissed about me installing all those Afterburners in GBAs [​IMG]

Plus, I've been getting into console games much more lately and the idea of dealing with Windows and compatibility issues with a self built joystick sounds like way too much effort.

Chris - Yeah, I think I will just d/l it and try a few titles on the keyboard. If it works well, I can get a joystick that's PS2/Xbox compatible and go from there. Would an Athlon 1 GHz and 512 MB be enough to handle MAME 32?

13. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

I'm glad I'm not the only one who keeps up with, and love MAME. I will eventually build and arcade cabinet for it, and build a dedicated rig tor un MAME on it. I was looking at the SlikStik as the basis for my controller.

They're pricey, but the quality and layouts look second to none.

MAME 0.65b just came out last week, so my MAME collection is lacking a few games here and there. Probably about 40+ ROMs and 2-3 .chd images. Time to get cracking and finish my collection. 3500+ games! Ouch!

14. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Chris -- Haha, I was thinking more along the lines of Donkey Kong or Rampage [​IMG] Maybe Street Fighter I or II on the high end. Sounds like I'll be OK.

BTW - I don't even need to look at the prices to know that those Silkstiks are out of my price range. Wow! Those are nice controllers (where are those darn lottery numbers when you need them?)

15. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

What a timely thread. I just received my various boxes full of arcade controls, wires, and interface boards in the mail today and work starts on a stand-alone cabinet this weekend. I'll be using a subpar left-over computer and monitor to start with but I'm building the cab big enough for an eventual 25" TV and a souped up new system. As long as Centipede is available I shouldn't get any complaints from the wife. I'm expecting this to take a few months as I'll only be able to work on it a few hours a week. Should be a blast when it's done.

16. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

Joe, you can see why I love those SlikStiks right? [​IMG] My favourite one is the CO2 model.

It's got dual sticks for games like Smash TV, and one of the sets of joysticks has a top fire button, for games like Ninja Gaiden. Plus the spinner and trackball. The only thing it's missing is the rotating joystick for games like Victory Road (Ikari 2) and Ikari Warriors.

Not to mention the correct button layout for the SF 6-button games, as well as the layout for Neo-Geo games as well.

But for games like the ones you want to play, your machine should handle it FINE. You might even be able to play the CPS2 games (SFA 1/2/3, DarkStalkers, etc.) pretty well.

17. Andy Hardin

Andy Hardin Stunt Coordinator

I've built my own Mame machine. I think the $150 for the X-arcade is well work it---unless you plan on building your own machine in the future, you may bot be able to integrate it into your cabinet.

I've actually built 3 seperate cabinets now, my own, and 2 for christmas presents for a friend's family and my brother's family (they paid for the parts, I did the labor as a gift).

Visit:

www.arcadecontrols.com

For the Build Your Own Arcade Controls website and forum for insight on how to build a custom cabinet and reviews of the prefab solutions like X-Arcade.

Bottom line, for the $150 you will spend you will get that usage out of it. There is nothing like playing the emulated games on authentic controls. Well worth it in my book.

As far as the machine you are using and the functionality of it, it should be fine. You won't be able to run the high end games (few can) but I have heard the sound drivers for Midway games in the newest builds have slowed those down as well (NBA Jam, Mortal Kombat, etc). I have not seen any slowdown in my Athlon 1800+ machine. Your best bet is to load the emulator and roms on that machine and test it to see if it is acceptable to you.

Chris--Actually, the NEO GEO stuff runs on slower machines. The cab I built for my brother runs on a 600 mhz machine and *all* Neo Geo games work fine (even KOF 2001!). My guess is the Neo Geo hardware is very similiar to a computer and the emulation reflects that.

18. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Chris - Yeah, I think I can see why you like those silkstiks. Amazing setup, makes my mouth water.

So from what I have seen on arcadecontrols and here, looks like the X-Arcade is the real deal, or at least not a scam. So I'm thinking about getting one of those and a Powermate for Tempest [​IMG]

Thanks All!

19. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

20. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Joe, are you gonna get the arcadex stick to use with a cabinet or are you just adding it to a PC. Right Now I have a 200gb machine that doubles as a Jukebox and MAME machine. It's on a stand that I had purchased. So right now it's just the Keyboard to use for MAME, which I Hate. I'd love to pick up the Arcade X but then I'd have to find a way to mount it. And then what happens if I go the Cab route? Also would ArcadeX work for a game that needs a spinner like Tempest?