What's new

Mama's Family - Season 2? (1 Viewer)

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I was reading the posts in another thread about the fiasco that was Mama's Family: The Complete First Season and I was wondering if they will bother following up with The Second Season.

For some reason, the other topic was closed. I don't understand. I mean, we can't talk about questions? What is the forum for then? It's totally bringing back a dictatorship when someone is told they cannot speak freely about something. Did anyone get annoyed by this as well? :rolleyes

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
This is not a dictatorship, it is a privately owned thread subject to the rules of its owners.

But back on topic, the response by John Hamilton, who owns the network master tapes, was dishearteningly vague and sounded like a CYA statement. They both have the power to come to an agreement about re-releasing season 1 uncut and making sure this insult never happens again.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I'll only be annoyed if Season 2 is released in truncated, edited versions like Season 1 was. Maybe not annoyed, but Warner will once again lose a sale.

Luckily Season 3 on were produced at shorter lengths (since the show was in first run syndication at that point) so they should be safe.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
This is not a dictatorship, it is a privately owned thread subject to the rules of its owners.

That's just a nice way of saying privately-owned dictatorship. :laugh:

I thought about that too. I'm just hoping we get as far as the syndicated seasons when Iola arrives. Season 2 has some great episodes too though like "Supermarket". I hope they plan to release it soon.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
If Season 2 is released uncut and intact, I'm there. If not, I'll save my money, just like I did on Season 1. And Warner will be hearing from me again.

JonathanBB

Stunt Coordinator
I doubt we will even see a release of season two. A whole bunch of people aren't buying the show just because it is missing a minute or two. I don't like syndicated cuts either, but we are never going to see another release until those people start buying season one sets.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It is missing a total of about 39 minutes. You could make 1 1/2 episodes out of the cut footage. That's more than enough reason not to buy the set.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

As always on this particular issue, I agree 100%. As the comparison has gone before, I would not expect to shell out money for a car without seatbelts...however, maybe someone else would. After all, almost the entire car is included.

Warner has the resources (both monetarily and intellectually) to do this right...or at the very least do a correct season 2. If they have no interest in it, then I have no interest in supporting them.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I totally understand everyone's frustration on the syndicated cuts. However, we really only have one more season that possibly may be cut. Then, it's onto the seasons that were syndicated to begin with. I will gladly purchase the first 2 seasons cut if we can get to the rest of the series and have the complete episodes from Season 3 on. At least there we know they can't cut anything. Can they?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Nope. Maybe it's just my skewed view on things, but I will not support a half assed release on the *hope* that the studio will eventually get it right because "they can't" get it wrong.

I will gladly pick up the cut S1 set is Warner makes new discs available through a return program. I will gladly pick up a revised S1 if Warner releases it, much like Universal did with Back to the Future. I will gladly pick up an uncut S2. But I will not buy a mangled release, even if it means we never see another episode of Mama's Family on DVD.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Hear, hear!

This is exactly why I refuse to buy ALF, or the first seasons of The Cosby Show and Roseanne either. Reissue them uncut and they will be more than welcome into my DVD collection. Otherwise forget it.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
the awful thing is that Warner probably won't even take into consideration that Mama's Family probably sold half (if less than that) what it would've had the uncut episodes been presented, and therefore the fans will be screwed from future releases.

Warner is terrible with sitcoms unless they're Friends or any other sitcom that begins with the letter F

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
lol, seems like it. I notice we're getting an F Troop season 2, something we haven't gotten for Night Court, Growing Pains or countless other shows.

Brandy681

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
I would be happy just to get any version, allthough the un-cut episodes would be much better I hope that they do come out with the rest of the seasons of Mama's Family even if they are cut. I bought Mama's Family Season 1 months and months ago and have been checking often online too see if they are going to release season 2 but so far there is NO information on a dvd release.

moogaboo

Agent
Real Name
John H.
I've often wondered if certain things Vicki Lawrence wrote about Joe Hamilton in her autobiography several years ago had anything to do with his family's refusal to license the full-length episodes for the Mama's Family dvd.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Whatever the behind-the-scenes intrigue about Mama's season one, it doesn't matter. I will not buy it. Mama's Family is one of my favorite sitcoms of all time, and I'm not going to ruin my memories of it by sitting there and watching a half-assed dvd version of it. It's just a terrible release. I'm not paying the $20 for it just in the slim hope that it'll help get future seasons released. Warners screwed up bigger than they ever have before with that damnable dvd. And if it didn't sell, they probably know damn well by now that it had to do with their own shoddy quality and lack of marketing judgment. Believe me, the opinions on these message boards do eventually trickle back to TPTB.

Brandy681

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
I would definitely buy Mama's Family if they continued with the rest of the Seasons edited or not because I really want to check up on these shows. I own season one from over a year ago, maybe two years and it doesn't seem right for Warner not to continue with the rest of the seasons. My main reason for purchasing season 1 is because I am a fan of the show but the price was very reasonable at $18, even if the shows were edited some but I did not notice. I hope that we will see a release of "Mama's Family" Season 2 really soon, I have been searching online trying to find a release date or any information about a release and so far there is NO news. If I had Warner Bros Customer Service number I would personally call and ask questions, it may not do any good but it will definitely help and make me feel like I am doing something to make them know that the fans have not forgot about "Mama's Family" and would love the rest of the seasons on DVD!

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I was hoping we would get it released (edited or not) by now so that we can press on to the Bubba and Iola years. I think maybe they should go ahead and release 2 seasons at a time but I doubt that they would do that now unless they packaged them together. Maybe it would help sales.

Brandy681

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
Does anyone know exactly when Mama's Family Season 1 was released??? It must have been 3-4 years ago at least since season 1 was brought out which leaves me to highly believe that Mama's Family Season 2- which is a great classic show will never be released to DVD. Is there any reason why Warner Bros can't make full shows instead of edited content? I would definitely prefer the unedited shows but either way I think it is quite akward to just not continue the seasons after season 1 was made...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks