Mama's Family Season 1 announced!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by MarkDukes, Jun 20, 2006.

1. MarkDukes

MarkDukes Stunt Coordinator

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5883

Finally we will get the complete first season in September. The link above has a big press release and cover art.

I particularly liked this quote from a Warner marketing executive, which seems to bode well for the release of future seasons:

"Mama's Family is one of those shows that has a unique appeal because of its offbeat humor which pokes fun at the faults and dysfunctions of a quirky mid-western family. The premise of the show was great, the cast was terrific and, the story lines were funny," commented Rosemary Markson, WHV Vice President, TV Marketing. She added, Mama's Family is one of those shows that gets better and better season after season. For years fans have anxiously been asking us to release it on DVD and we are delighted to bring it to consumers at last. There is no other series like Mama's Family. It has such character, charm and appeal. It's meant for those who want to take a break from everyday life and just have a great laugh."

2. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Definately a must buy, provided the eppy's are uncut. I don't even care about any extras. 6 am is WAY too early for me to get up to watch this show on TBS... [​IMG]

3. JonathanBB

JonathanBB Stunt Coordinator

Where the HELL are the bonus features! Good Lord! I'm sure Vicki Lawrence would LOVE to do commentaries, she even took her Mama's character on the road! And wheres Eunice?

4. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I only wish Warner would've packaged season 1 and 2 together

5. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Season one & two would have been one big set, but hopefully this first season will have a low price point and a lot of people will BUY it, therefore ensuring the eventual arrival of season two...

I think this small release is a sort of "try out" to see if we'll buy more. Yes, we will...!

6. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Oboy. I'm not a fan of the show, but it would seem to me you're lucky to get an offbeat set like this one, extras or no extras. Even the great ALL IN THE FAMILY has zero extras...

7. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

season 1 and 2 wouldn't have been THAT BAD when you think about it, 35 episodes. The recently released F Troop season 1 set is 34 episodes.

8. MichelleB

MichelleB Stunt Coordinator

That is awesome news! Count me in as being one of them who will defintely buy it! I can't wait.

[​IMG]

9. JonathanBB

Gord, could you please talk them into including Eunice (the pilot movie)?

10. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    Now I'm starting to worry that we will not get to see the Eunice TV movie. It could still be included on the short second season set but I'm betting it won't be. Perhaps it's because the TV movie differed in a lot of ways from the series itself. If I remember correctly the movie was more dramatic. Also, Ken Berry played Philip in the movie (a character that had begun in the skits) but was later given the "instant son" role of Vint on the series. And did I mention the plot of the movie ? Maybe those are some of the reasons they have for not putting the movie out along with the series.

Another note, the press release does mention Harvey as playing Alistair Quince, the original narrator. So that bodes well for uncut eps.

11. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    There are two reasons the "Eunice" movie might not be included:

1. Warners doesn't own it.

and 2.

Mama dies in it

12. JonathanBB

Yes, maybe. Maybe Paramount owns it because they are the ones behind The Carol Burnett Show. Still, they could have included commentaries or a featurette of some sort.

13. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    I think I only saw the TV movie once when it first aired. I believe that it was repeated once in some type of syndication but I missed the chance to tape it. I have no idea who owns it but I just assumed it was the same company that owns Mama. And yes, there is THAT plot twist in the movie that might have something to do with it.

I'm just thrilled that it's coming out and I am cautiously optimistic since this show has never left reruns since it started so it has proven it's popularity across generations. I'm hoping for uncut eps and also that they be included in the proper order. Anybody else notice that they rarely (if ever) air properly in syndication ?

14. JonathanBB

That is just for the first and second seasons. I have no idea why. TBS also lost the print for Gert Rides Again.

15. Nick=Ma

Nick=Ma Stunt Coordinator

TBS airs the NBC episodes in production order instead of the order they originally aired.

16. MarkDukes

MarkDukes Stunt Coordinator

Anyone think that we could see subsequent seasons of Mama's Family, or will this one end with a first season release?

You have to think there is a large following for it...over at tvshowsondvd.com, it is in the TOP TEN of shows people most want to see, and it has never really left syndication on TBS.

My fear is that most people seem to like the "Iola/Bubba" years (I actually prefer the first two seasons!), so I hope sales aren't initially slow.

Any input?

17. JonathanBB

I think it will sell very good for the first release, but might slow down for Season 2. Alot of people prefer the Bubba / Iola years, I do. I think they are more funny. Rumor has it there ARE commentaries on this set.

18. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe
    As for the pre-Iola/Bubba years --- I like it when Carol Burnett made a guest appearance as Eunice, but, OH! those awful grandchildren! What floppy characters they were. The girl, in particular, was probably the most unappealing character in any sitcom I ever watched (they lightened her up a little later on).

At first, I didn't like the addition of Iola and Bubba, if for no other reason than I'm reluctant to change. It didn't take long for them to win me over, though. Beverly Archer as Iola was almost as good a comedienne as Burnett and Lawrence themselves! But it was really a shame that Carol Burnett didn't make any more guest appearances as Eunice.

19. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Joe,

Carol Burnett divorced from her husband Joe Hamilton, who produced this show, in 1984 and that may have had something to do with Eunice's non-presence in the syndicated years.

Actually, the show is moving to "i" (formerly PAX) along with some other Warner-owned shows this fall.

20. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Cover art is available, and I'm concerned about this release for 2 reasons:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6044

1. The running time on the bottom of the back says "278 minutes". Divide that by 13 and you've got a little over 21.

2. A credit reads "in association with Telepictures Distribution" which suggests they may be using cut-down episodes.